“Found in Translation”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Brooklyn, New York
“Found in Translation”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

It had long been a dream of mine to stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo since the moment I saw Lost in Translation, Sophia Coppolla's 2003 timeless masterpiece shot largely at the hotel. So when my wife and I got married and we decided to go to Japan for our honeymoon, I knew exactly where our first stop in the country would be.

So how did the Park Hyatt compare with my impossibly unrealistic expectations?

Very well, actually.

From the minute my wife and I stepped through the door it was everything we expected it to be. The views of Tokyo's endless urban sprawl from the 50-something floor were breathtaking. Attentive staff catered to our every need without being obsequious. Our room's design was subtle and elegant. We enjoyed sitting by the window drinking coffee from the espresso machine, staring at the cityscape around us so much we found it hard to leave its confines. When we did eventually venture outside we usually made a beeline to the lovely swimming pool. Not some two-lane pond some hotels try to pass as a pool, but a well proportioned one where you can swim laps without worrying about colliding with other swimmers. After we took a dip, we sat in bath robs and read from the generous selection of newspapers. Breakfast was perfect. Service impeccable. Oh, and the New York Bar on the top floor...what a place. It was easy imagining Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson's characters sitting at the table next to us.

Say what you will about the expense of staying at the Park Hyatt – indeed, I may not be able to send my unborn children to college having used their tuition money to pay the hefty bill – yet its palatial comfort, poetic tranquility and stunning vistas are memories my wife and I will cherish for the rest of our life.

Room Tip: Make sure to enjoy the free snacks and newspapers by the pool.
1 Thank GShef

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am very much disappointed with this park hyatt. This is the worst park i have ever stayed.

The location is really inconvenient as you need to walk for 20 min for the nearest metro of JR station or take a shuttle which is only once in one hour. There is not much life around the hotel if you want to stick to the neighborhood.

The rooms are very small for Hyatt standard. also the cost for this room was way too much - i stayed for the same amount in Maldives where i had a separate villa! the was not enough space to fit two suitcases. Tea and coffee, show gels etc were provided in limited quantity - for two people you need to ask for extras.

The service is something which disappoints you the most. Rude staff in a lobby bar, numerous attempts to overcharge you during the breakfast, simply bad english and inattentive people. The top floor restaurant is so smoky at night that you simply would not be able to breath there.

The only good thing about the service is that they were cordial enough to have my luggage to transfer for free to Grand Hyatt where i was staying in a few nights after i checked out from Park.

Overall, i DO NOT recommend to stay in this hotel. There are so much better options around the same area. Hyatt needs a serious people and property upgrade there!

9 Thank Dmitryvulkan
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed in the Park Hyatt in March with my significant other as a celebratory trip - and the experience was pleasant - the hotel is very nice, what you'd expect of a Park Hyatt and the rooms (while a touch dated - and reminiscent of the mid-nineties when it was built) were well-appointed. The bathroom was large but not well-lit (difficult to put on makeup properly) though the shower compared to other hotels in Japan (we stayed at the St. Regis in Osaka as well as the Tokyo Station Hotel) was rather small. I appreciated the Aesop toiletries which were lovely.

The free shuttle to Shinjuku station was nice, and overall the concierge was helpful and pleasant. We decided to swim one night before dinner at the New York Grill and did discover that tattoos are decidedly not allowed (both my partner and I are relatively heavily tattooed - sleeves, et cetera), they were terribly nice about it (as the Japanese are pleasant and nice about everything) though I still felt that they weren't thrilled about having us there (even though the pool and gym area was completely empty). I understand this is simply a Japanese notion given the fact that heavy tattooing is related to Yakuza culture, but I figured I'd give other travelers a heads-up.

Room Tip: On the higher floors Mt. Fuji is visible from the room - as it was in ours. We stayed on the 50th fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ecolette
San Diego
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stay at lots of expensive hotels and when a hotel charges close to $1000US a night my expectations are very high. Sadly this hotel doesn't live up to the cost of the room. The rooms Were small and dated. The hotel is in need of a renovation, the staff are not warm or friendly by Japanese standards and seemed annoyed when I asked them to explain the multiple taxes added to my bill which added $300/night. The hotel doesn't let you use the spa without an additional charge which for the price of the room and the fact I'm a Platinum guest I thought was stupid. The location is good if you have business in the government district but if you're in Tokyo for fun this hotel is not in a good spot as you have either a long walk to the JR line or you have to take a shuttle. I'd recommend the intercontinental Strings hotel at Shinagawa station for a lot les cost, better service and attached to the train station. The best part of this hotel was checking out after two nights knowing I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lew21
Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is obviously a palace where you will be welcomed as a king; the fact that the service level in Japan is already extremely high means you will be blown off your feet with the Park Hyatt. But apart from that, I would say the main reason for paying extra are the extraordinary view from your room (whatever it is), from the pool on the 47th floor, as well as from the famous New York Grill (52nd floor). You literally feel on top of the world. But frankly, apart from the glamour, you can get similar views for less. We were lucky enough to see Mount Fuji in April after a very windy night, but generally do not expect to see it. I accepted a room with "non-smoking condition" on a smoking floor... do not. The floor smelled of cigarette, as well as the room (nothing much to do with such carpeting). All in all a wonderful choice, even though the rooms are nothing to write home about (for that price). For us, the highlight was swimming on the 47th floor with an all-around view of Tokyo.

NYC
Reviewed 15 April 2014

For us staying at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo has been the best hotel experience ever, everything (I mean, everything) is performed at a high level of perfection. The service is beyond remarkable, every staff member at the hotel we interacted with treated us with unimaginable sense of courtesy, professionalism and efficiency. We were truly taken care of by this wonderful property and the people who work here. The rooms are beautiful and luxurious, swimming pool and all hotel amenities are top-notch.
We really hope we get the opportunity to stay again at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 13 April 2014

A supremely well run establishment - and one would expect so too at the price. This place is well worth it as a luxury, but if you're here to see the city, there are undoubtedly better locations to stay. The local area has little atmosphere and few amenities, and is not that close to a metro or JR station. Shinjuku about a 20 min walk.
If you're looking to sample the 5 star experience, this is obviously the place to come, and the Wagyu burger in the New York bar will stay with me for a long time - amazing food in an amazing bar. The room service and housekeeping are by far the best I have ever experienced, and the rooms are so well appointed it's difficult to find the will to leave your room!

Some utter nonsense in some of the other reviews about uncomfortable beds. I think you need to urgently see a doctor if you find the beds uncomfortable here.

If you want the real 'lost in translation' experience however, then the hotel is only part of the story.

Room Tip: A fuji view is probably preferable
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,214 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!