“What an Experience!”
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 20 April 2014

From the moment we arrived everything was impeccable: friendly and efficient staff, incredible views, stylish decor and lightning and a great room. It feels as if you are the only person in this hotel but there were loads of other people. The restaurants were great, especially the New York Bar and Grill. The pool was an experience!
The location is not great and you have to take the shuttle or taxi every where. But if that was better, the Park Hyatt would have deserved 6 stars!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It had long been a dream of mine to stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo since the moment I saw Lost in Translation, Sophia Coppolla's 2003 timeless masterpiece shot largely at the hotel. So when my wife and I got married and we decided to go to Japan for our honeymoon, I knew exactly where our first stop in the country would be.

So how did the Park Hyatt compare with my impossibly unrealistic expectations?

Very well, actually.

From the minute my wife and I stepped through the door it was everything we expected it to be. The views of Tokyo's endless urban sprawl from the 50-something floor were breathtaking. Attentive staff catered to our every need without being obsequious. Our room's design was subtle and elegant. We enjoyed sitting by the window drinking coffee from the espresso machine, staring at the cityscape around us so much we found it hard to leave its confines. When we did eventually venture outside we usually made a beeline to the lovely swimming pool. Not some two-lane pond some hotels try to pass as a pool, but a well proportioned one where you can swim laps without worrying about colliding with other swimmers. After we took a dip, we sat in bath robs and read from the generous selection of newspapers. Breakfast was perfect. Service impeccable. Oh, and the New York Bar on the top floor...what a place. It was easy imagining Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson's characters sitting at the table next to us.

Say what you will about the expense of staying at the Park Hyatt – indeed, I may not be able to send my unborn children to college having used their tuition money to pay the hefty bill – yet its palatial comfort, poetic tranquility and stunning vistas are memories my wife and I will cherish for the rest of our life.

Room Tip: Make sure to enjoy the free snacks and newspapers by the pool.
1  Thank GShef
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am very much disappointed with this park hyatt. This is the worst park i have ever stayed.

The location is really inconvenient as you need to walk for 20 min for the nearest metro of JR station or take a shuttle which is only once in one hour. There is not much life around the hotel if you want to stick to the neighborhood.

The rooms are very small for Hyatt standard. also the cost for this room was way too much - i stayed for the same amount in Maldives where i had a separate villa! the was not enough space to fit two suitcases. Tea and coffee, show gels etc were provided in limited quantity - for two people you need to ask for extras.

The service is something which disappoints you the most. Rude staff in a lobby bar, numerous attempts to overcharge you during the breakfast, simply bad english and inattentive people. The top floor restaurant is so smoky at night that you simply would not be able to breath there.

The only good thing about the service is that they were cordial enough to have my luggage to transfer for free to Grand Hyatt where i was staying in a few nights after i checked out from Park.

Overall, i DO NOT recommend to stay in this hotel. There are so much better options around the same area. Hyatt needs a serious people and property upgrade there!

9  Thank Dmitryvulkan
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed in the Park Hyatt in March with my significant other as a celebratory trip - and the experience was pleasant - the hotel is very nice, what you'd expect of a Park Hyatt and the rooms (while a touch dated - and reminiscent of the mid-nineties when it was built) were well-appointed. The bathroom was large but not well-lit (difficult to put on makeup properly) though the shower compared to other hotels in Japan (we stayed at the St. Regis in Osaka as well as the Tokyo Station Hotel) was rather small. I appreciated the Aesop toiletries which were lovely.

The free shuttle to Shinjuku station was nice, and overall the concierge was helpful and pleasant. We decided to swim one night before dinner at the New York Grill and did discover that tattoos are decidedly not allowed (both my partner and I are relatively heavily tattooed - sleeves, et cetera), they were terribly nice about it (as the Japanese are pleasant and nice about everything) though I still felt that they weren't thrilled about having us there (even though the pool and gym area was completely empty). I understand this is simply a Japanese notion given the fact that heavy tattooing is related to Yakuza culture, but I figured I'd give other travelers a heads-up.

Room Tip: On the higher floors Mt. Fuji is visible from the room - as it was in ours. We stayed on the 50th fl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ecolette
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stay at lots of expensive hotels and when a hotel charges close to $1000US a night my expectations are very high. Sadly this hotel doesn't live up to the cost of the room. The rooms Were small and dated. The hotel is in need of a renovation, the staff are not warm or friendly by Japanese standards and seemed annoyed when I asked them to explain the multiple taxes added to my bill which added $300/night. The hotel doesn't let you use the spa without an additional charge which for the price of the room and the fact I'm a Platinum guest I thought was stupid. The location is good if you have business in the government district but if you're in Tokyo for fun this hotel is not in a good spot as you have either a long walk to the JR line or you have to take a shuttle. I'd recommend the intercontinental Strings hotel at Shinagawa station for a lot les cost, better service and attached to the train station. The best part of this hotel was checking out after two nights knowing I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Lew21
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is obviously a palace where you will be welcomed as a king; the fact that the service level in Japan is already extremely high means you will be blown off your feet with the Park Hyatt. But apart from that, I would say the main reason for paying extra are the extraordinary view from your room (whatever it is), from the pool on the 47th floor, as well as from the famous New York Grill (52nd floor). You literally feel on top of the world. But frankly, apart from the glamour, you can get similar views for less. We were lucky enough to see Mount Fuji in April after a very windy night, but generally do not expect to see it. I accepted a room with "non-smoking condition" on a smoking floor... do not. The floor smelled of cigarette, as well as the room (nothing much to do with such carpeting). All in all a wonderful choice, even though the rooms are nothing to write home about (for that price). For us, the highlight was swimming on the 47th floor with an all-around view of Tokyo.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

For us staying at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo has been the best hotel experience ever, everything (I mean, everything) is performed at a high level of perfection. The service is beyond remarkable, every staff member at the hotel we interacted with treated us with unimaginable sense of courtesy, professionalism and efficiency. We were truly taken care of by this wonderful property and the people who work here. The rooms are beautiful and luxurious, swimming pool and all hotel amenities are top-notch.
We really hope we get the opportunity to stay again at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!