“Great Tourist Hotel Ibis in Tokyo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ibis Tokyo Shinjuku

ibis Tokyo Shinjuku
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Adelaide, Australia
“Great Tourist Hotel Ibis in Tokyo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Very good hotel with very helpful staff. The location near Shinjuku Station ( definitely the most confusing station in Japan) is perfect. It is an unimposing building but nice rooms and plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby.
It is an easy train ride to Tokyo station and other great sites in Tokyo. You can use Metro or ride for free on the Japan Rail line if you have Japan Rail pass.
For value, cleanliness and service we can thoroughly recommend it.
As another idea we found Tokyo Free Guide service on the internet and they are a volunteer organization manned with people who speak good English and provided us with a wonderful guide who loves to meet foreigners and showed us the best of Tokyo and most importantly explained how to negotiate their fabulous public transport system. And it us genuinely Free, you just pay transport and meal expenses for your guide.
You will need to arrange on the net and you will be contacted by your guide who will meet you in the lobby of your hotel.
One word of advice the airport hotel limousine bus service does not go there but does stop and ShinJuku West exit. Walk directly North from there, 5-10 minutes you will arrive at a major intersection and see it just West of the intersection. Or email the hotel and ask them to write their address in Japanese and jump in a taxi at Shinjuku Station.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnandFeli
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Mr. JohnandFeli

Thank you very much for sharing your lovely comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and exciting experiences of Tokyo Free Guide service provided by a generous volunteer organization.

Regarding the airport limousine bus, unfortunately they do not stop in front of our hotel. We are glad to hear that you managed to arrive at the hotel without getting lost. Walking towards Odakyu Halc Department Store is a visible sign to the hotel direction with over 5 min walk.
Even though the hotel location is quite near from Shinjuku Station – West Exit (Shinjuku Nishiguchi), it might be very confusing for a guest to find the location of the hotel in such a big and busy city of Shinjuku. Please kindly be noted that we are always more than happy to assist any inquiries by email or telephone prior to the arrival.

We appreciate taking your time to write a review of your stay. I do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Sales Department

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at this Ibis hotel at the beginning of April 2013 for a week of sightseeing in Tokyo. I arrived on a flight at Narita Airport and took the Narita Express train (N'EX) to the Shinjuku Station and walked to the hotel. I exited the train station thru the "New South Entrance" which is exactly where you don't want to exit. What you want to do is use "Exit D5" which you'll never find because it isn't marked at all. I would exit thru some "West" door, turn right and then walk down the hill and look to your left for the red brick building with the McDonald's on the ground floor. The Shinjuku station is large with over 4 million people using it per day, there are also over 200 exits so to say that you will initially find the correct exit is next to impossible.

The hotel has 10 floors with 27 rooms per floor, some larger than others. I had room x08, which was small even by Japanese standards. I would therefore recommend paying more and getting a double room even if traveling alone. The room included a hair dryer, shoe brush, shoe horn, refrigerator, teakettle, pants press, full length mirror, small flat screen TV with only the BBC World Report in English and a desk and chair. The room was very small with no room to open my luggage (no closet, only 2 wall hooks), the bathroom was also very small with a very low ceiling. The bathroom had a deep tub and included shampoo, conditioner, body wash and a fancy toilet/bidet.

There were 2 Internet PC's in the lobby for checking e-mails, a coin-op washer and dryer and small bar in the lobby with a 24 hour McDonald's on the ground floor and Daily Yamazaki convenience store nearby.

The location, in the center of Shinjuku, is very noisy even with the windows closed. I would suggest trying to get a room facing the rear and it might be a little better if you are a light sleeper.

There was breakfast available for an additional cost which I didn't try so I can't comment on the quality.

The best thing about this hotel, other than its' price, was the location in the middle of one of the largest shopping districts in Japan. There were endless transportation, dining, shopping and nightlife options available within easy walking distance.

The room itself was small which was to be expected. The hotel was clean and appeared to have been recently renovated. The location was great and the staff spoke passable English. I would recommend this hotel if looking for a place to only sleep and store your luggage while visiting Tokyo.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Mark O
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Mr. Mark Olsen

Thank you for your candid comments as these always help us to improve or evolve where needed.

I'm sorry to learn of your recent experience of your room size with us. Although I am glad to hear you enjoyed the location of the hotel, I am sorry to hear that you felt the single room size was small for you. We are fully aware the issue of the room size in the central Tokyo. Unfortunately, most of rooms in the same hotel category are designed with a minimum space in Shinjuku and failed to meet your expectation.

In addition to the location of your room, I am disappointed that we could not accommodate you to allocate in a quiet room during your stay to prevent a noise issue for a light sleeper.

Once again, we are very sorry to read that your experience was not of the high standard that you quite rightly expected when staying at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and careful reviews. Hopefully, we will have a chance to have you again and will ensure you enjoy a restful night’s sleep for the future visit to ibis Tokyo Shinjuku.

Sale Department
Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a great location! Lots of restaurants to eat at and over the road of Shinjuku Station! Big shopping centres over the road. McDonalds is on the ground floor. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear GypsyCairns

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us in Shinjuku. We are very proud of our excellent location and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again for your lovely review and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance or assist with a future booking.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Good location, only 5 minute walk to Shinjuku train station. Staff were always very helpful and friendly. They let us check-in early at 10am which was extremely welcome after our overnight flight from Australia.
Room was basic but comfortable. For a budget hotel there were good amenities in the room, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shower cap, razor, tooth brush & tooth paste etc. The towels were thin and horrible and the bathroom was not very well lit and smelt a bit musty.
Free wifi throughout the hotel is great!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Ms. Nicole L

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you were pleased to have had an early check-in at 10am after your overnight flight all way from Australia. We also are happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed free WiFi and our warm hospitality during your stay.

In regard to the bath towels and bathroom condition, we regret that they did not meet your expectations. However, we are thankful for your valuable comment on that in order to take this into consideration of our facility improvement.

We do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Tainan, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I took the "Spring Promotion" offer and stayed in mid April, 2013. The quality of the hotel was pretty much within my expectation to Ibis series, though the room is not roomy as others I stayed before. Here is my quick comment:

-Good location with proximity to Shinjuku Station
-Average breakfast
-Clean room, but not roomy
-Good frontdesk response

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ibis.Tokyo.Shinjuku, General Manager at ibis Tokyo Shinjuku, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

I read carefuly your comments and I do thank you for taking some of your time to feed us back on your experience with us. I shared your comments with the teams and thanked them to have responded to your needs in time and with courtesy.
As for the room, I understand that it might be smaller for you as you might have been used to bigger rooms in other Asian countries... but this is the standard in Japan. Let us know if you are in Japan again, we will be delighted to propose a bigger room for you.

Thank you, once again for your time and comments hoping to welcome you again at Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku.

Butterworth, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Hotel is located within walking distance from train station and there are restaurant, convenient store and shops nearby. Staffs greet us every time we enter the hotel lobby. Room are small but it is acceptable in Tokyo. I called front desk to open my window and they came within 3 minutes, which is beyond my expectation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your valuable comments. There is nothing better than this kind of feed back to assess the teams and the quality of their performance. Thank you.
It is true that Japanese are very well educated people, not only in Ibis Shinjuku. We strive to motivate our teams to add professionalism to their education and help our valuable clientele whenever needed.

I am glad to see that they responded with good reactivity and made of you a happy guest.

I hope to see you again and serve you better than this time.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed at the Ibis Shinjuku hotel for five nights in a double bed non smoking room. Room is small and not much decorated with a small window but is very clean. Bathroom is fine and a perfect match with a bath tub where you can soak with hot water after a tiring day. I love this the most. Bath gel, shampoo and conditioner are all Shizedo with decent supply of razor and toothbrush.

Small fridge is provided with free tea and coffee facilities. Bottle beer, water and other selection of drinks can be selected from a machine outside the room with market price. Wifi is free and can be accessed from everywhere in the hotel including your rooms.

The hotel is only 3-5 min walk from metro and Shinjuku JR station. Lots of department stores (e.g. Odakyu, Lumin, Isetan, Takashiyama), small and large convenient store of every brand (7-11, Family Mart, Lawson, etc.) are nearby, with McDonald just downstairs. Typical japanese restaurants where japanese eat, franchised restaurants, western style restaurant or indeed every kind of restaurant can be reached within 1-10 minutes walk. Yadobashi and Bic Camera are 5 mins away.

One point to consider for sleep quality, the noise from street traffic is quite annoying if you open the window, especially when no cooling is available during April.

Whatelse do you want from this great value hotel? Very polite and smiling staff who can communicate in English, a small bar, 2 elevators even a spa, of course, no fitness or restautant but I cannot think of any hotel that can provide everything better than this small Ibis in one of the most busiest area in the world.

Room Tip: non smoking, double bed room seem to provide you more space.