“good short stay hotel”

Hotel Sunlite Shinjuku
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Friendly and welcoming staff at Sunlite hotel. As we arrived by train with luggage, we chose to take a short taxi ride to hotel, cost of flagfall 710 Yen only. From Shinjuku station it is possible to walk (about 15 min). The hotel has a vertical blue neon sign on its main street side, but the actual hotel entrance is 50m down a small side street. Reception and main hotel on one side, Annexe opposite. We stayed in the Annexe and found our non-smoking twin room neat and spotlessly clean, with comfortable beds. Internet LAN in room worked well. Lobby has Wifi. Be warned the rooms, and bathroom, are small! AC has own controls, and windows can be opened. The buffet Japanese and Western breakfast was delicious and good value. Side street location minimised street noise, and there is a 7-11 convenience store with foreign ATM nearby. Shops, many fabulous little eateries and bars and great night streetlife awaits just a few minutes walk away. A great location for a few days stopover in Tokyo.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sunlite Shinjuku

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Got a good price for a weeks stay here. Of course the rooms are tiny but they are kept clean by the professional housekeeping.staff. They do offer early check-in and late check-out for a fee. English ability amongst the staff is good enough. The part that I liked the best was they had a washer and dryer available for guest use! Not very common in Tokyo. Location was perfect for me as I am already very familiar with the area. Just a 5 minute walk to 2-chome! They do lock the doors at 2 am and unlock them at 5:30. Got my workout by rushing back before the curfew!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank U99A
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Stayed 4 nights in the standard room at annex building.

Pros:
1. Close to shopping, entertainment, dining and transportation facilities.
2. Rooms are adequate size in tokyo standard.
3. Room amenities are basic but good enough for the price paid.
4. Standard compact bathroom is small but sufficient.
5. Toiletries provided were of standard Japanese business hotel.
6. Bed was clean and pillows were extremely comfortable but slightly small.

Cons:
1. Unfortunately our room reek of cigarette smoke everytime after housekeeping cleans up the room.
2. Staff was polite and their service was sufficient but not friendly.

Overall, i recommend staying herevif you dont mind passing by the red light areas at night time.

Room Tip: 1. Get a room at the main building instead of the annex to get the higher floors. This way you dont...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Norli85
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed at Sunlite Hotel many timers in recent years and enjoy the Hotel- yes very small rooms but clean, well run and good location for my needs.

On a recent visit I posted a parcel back to Aiustralia via Air Mail, but unfortunately Australia Post returned the parcel to Japan ("Hotel Sunlite Shinjuku".)

I wrote to the Sunlite Manager asking if the parcel had been returned and if so could it be posted back to Australia "Cash on delivery"?.

I was suprised to receive a phone call from the Hotel confirming that they had the parcel and would post it to me....and the Hotel would pay the postage!.

A very king gesture.

If traveling to Tokyo and staying in Shinjuku please consider Sunlite Hotel.

Robert. Australia

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank robbie308
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This hotel is small, as many things in Japan are, but the great location and reasonable price makes up for it.

The bed was very comfortable, the room was wide enough so that we could move arround the bed with our luggage on the floor and everything was VERY clean.

The body wash was the best I ever found/used in hotel. It smelled amazing. I seriously considered stealing some by decanting into an empty jar.

It is surrounded by very nice restaurants. The concierge sent us to a lovely sushi restaurant a block down.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marlette
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

Hotel Sunlite is, as far as hotels go, pretty typical. We had one room for three people, and even with all of our luggage we still had some room to move around, though not much. The staff are pretty friendly and at least one can speak English competently. The rooms are clean but extremely hot in winter, which may be more suitable to Japanese people than to westerners. The location is tolerable, but not great. It's about a 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station IF you can navigate the streets, which is not always easy. All in all, I wouldn't mind staying here again, knowing that I can get a comfortable bed for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if the hotel closed down, either.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Most hotels like this one are not really built to cater to the overseas traveller. The rooms in Business hotels such as this are rather spartan (don't let the photos fool you).

There are two buildings for this hotel. The main building and another one across a small street called the Annex.

It's important to note that the doors to both buildings are locked between 2:30 am and 5:30 am. I was initially told that getting my key would not be a problem, but when I arrived back at my hotel at 2:30 ish in the am, the staff was just locking up and the reception area was dark. There were a couple of guests sitting in the dark in the lobby, apparently hopeful that someone would happen to come by to give them their key.

I had no issues with check-in. The staff are typical of Japanese business hotels. Proficient without being what you'd classify as being friendly. One staff member I saw spoke basic English. I speak Japanese so this wasn't an issue to me. However, I met another gent from Italy who was given a room with a single bed for him and his wife. Theres no easy way that both of them could have slept in the same bed. The rooms are very small, again, typical of Japanese business hotels, leaving no room for a cot, even if they were offered on.

I overheard one of the staff saying that they were trying to contact the person that made the reservation (in Italy presumably) - meanwhile, these poor folks just wanted a nap in the hotel room they paid for. Solving problems that crop up unexpectedly are not handled easily here. Later in the evening I ran into them again and they still didn't have a room with 2 beds. I ran into them again a week later on my second stay at this property and they were still both sharing a single bed. I joked with them that it's a good thing they liked each other.

If you are booking this hotel, make sure you bring a copy of your reservation with full details, and make sure you know what you are reserving.

As stated, I stayed at this hotel on two different dates on this trip.

First time around:
On to the room. Yes, its small with what they call a "unit bath". Prefabricated and containing toilet sink and shower in one unit. I was happy because the windows in the room open to give you fresh air. Important to me as the airconditioning doesn't work in the winter and I find that Japanese are notorious for what I consider to be overheating buildings in winter. I kept the heating unit off the entire stay and the room was still too warm for my liking. My non-smoking room didn't smell like smoke, which was another huge plus.

Really, the main negative about the room was the mattress. I've never had a mattress that felt so cheap and firm. It was what I imagine IKEAs mattresses to be like, but I've never slept on one of them. I wouldn't say I slept particularly well on this one either.

My room faced the small street between the two buildings and with the windows open, there was considerable noise from outside, but earplugs solved that. The problem is that the bed is directly under the windows so with the breeze flowing, it can get cold in bed. In a hot room.

Someday, maybe the Japanese business hotels with find some way of allowing customers to regulate the temperature in their rooms year round.

Note that this hotel does not have in-room safes. You can give the front desk items to put in their security box, but laptops, cameras etc, will not fit in the envelope provided. The staff put my stuff in a locker in a back room.

Wifi was available at no extra charge and welcomed since "free public" wifi seems to be getting rarer to find with each visit.

There is a restaurant in the hotel, but I did not eat there. There are a few conveniently located convenience stores which I used instead.

Second stay this trip:
I got the room next to my previous room, which seemed to have a different layout and thus, seemed a little bigger, but marginally so. The mattress in this second room was FAR superior to the one in the first room I stayed in.

Now all this said, you may get the impression that it's not a very good hotel. It is still a much better hotel than some of the others in the area, but it was a little more expensive.

I have reviewed other hotels in the area that REALLY need refurbishing. Some of these have non-smoking rooms that stink and in several cases, the entire hotel REEKS of smoke. Some of these hotels don't have windows that open.... add a hot room to that equation and you've got an unpleasant stay. This was not the case here.

Final word... would I stay here again? I think I'd try one of at least 2 newer hotels in the area first, but you can do much worse than this one.

The curfew may not be an issue for some, but if you are a night person, and don't want to run the risk of not being able to get into your hotel room, this place is probably not for you.

In summary:
Pros: reasonably good location, close to convenience stores, windows that open, staff speak some English, clean rooms, little to no smokey smell in both rooms I used.

Cons: Staff don't seem too concerned with customer satisfaction and were not willing to help two people who somehow ended up sharing a single bed for a week. Curfew between 2:30 and 5:30 am. No safes in the room. At least one room has a very uncomfortable mattress.

Room Tip: Non-smoking room with a window that opens
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo