“Overall good experience!”

Melbourne, Australia
“Overall good experience!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Overall had a really good stay at the Granbell Shinjuku
So first day i recommend getting a taxi from shinjuku station it only cost us 770yen which is no more than $10 (AUD). We looked for about an hour and couldn't find the hotel even with help of locals. But after finding it for the first time its easy to find again! Only 10mins from Shinjuku station and all the main areas. Many comments on here about walking through red light district but its fine! If anything a bit of fun! Also theres ways to avoid it by walking alternate streets!
Staff at hotel all very nice, speak english pretty well. Its got everything you need! Rooms are a good size considering its Japan, bathroom also a good size! NIce clean and modern hotel. Would recommend for any type of stay whether it be holiday or business.
WIll stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IslandLover222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Everything was great thus my high overall mark.
Let me list minor disadvantages:
- compact
- bit far from the station (please note, that Shinjuku is located very strategically)
- difficult to find however good maps are provided
- close to red light district, but very very safe and unnoticeable

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Geneva
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed just 48 hours in Japan,so two nights at this hotel.
As everywhere in Japan, the staff was most friendly. The room was manifestly spotless and also really comfortable. I did sleep really well without any kind of noise.
Wifi was working well and the style of the hotel was a nice change compared to my previous trips to Japan (I stayed in real business hotels).

Anyway, advice for the visitors:
I highly suggest a very careful planning about how to get to the hotel if you use something else than the taxi (with streeview check and precise itinerary "study).
It's actually less than 15 minutes on foot from Shinjuku station once you know the way... But before and with bags, it can be a real challenge to locate it! in particular if you take the wrong exit of the Shinjuku station!! Do NOT exit somewhere else than the central east exit.
The Shinjuku Narita Express platform is far from this exit but you must avoid exiting via the south exit which is indicated on this platform.

Room Tip: As usual, higher room = less noise from the streets.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank M_i_k_e_GVA
Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel is about 15 to 20 minutes walk from Shinjuku station, if you arrived from Narita Express. Check-in time is strictly at 3pm, but I could leave my bags there while I travelled around the area.
Convenience stores and restaurants are everywhere around the area, and although it is located just one street away from the red district, it still feels pretty safe.
The service was pretty good, and they helped me with finding locations of various places. Was really thankful that they spoke English!
The room was for 1 person, but it was very very comfortable. A little small if you have too much luggage, but overall very good quality sleep.
Rooftop bar was really pretty, and looked very affordable.
Worth a stay if you are willing to spend about USD$100 per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jia284
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our room was amazing and we found the service to be very good. Others have mentioned lack of English with staff, but we didn't experience any difficulties being understood and receiving assistance. We booked a night out through the front desk and sought directions on a few occasions with no trouble. The rooftop bar was a great place to relax after a busy day, with terrific views and a nice selection of cocktails. Although we wouldn't recommend the restaurant for dinner (but I do love Italian food and can be a bit fussy with it - this was too oily and too sweet), there was a great selection of traditional and western breakfast choices. The bed was super comfortable and having a bath with one of many selections of bath salts while looking out on the city skyline incredible. Others have also mentioned having trouble locating the hotel - it's about a 2 minute walk from Higashi-Shinjuku station with one turn, a bit trickier from Shinjuku but only because the station itself is enormous and confusing. Once you get your bearings there, the hotel is easily located. We really enjoyed our stay here and would come back again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Showustheworld
St Martin
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good location in Kabukicho... At 10 minutes by walk from Shinjuku Station.
We were stayed one night, and booked a room at 16th floor, with a beautiful view.
Rooms are spacious, and clean.
Wifi everywhere in the hotel (rooms, lobby...).
Washing machine.
There is a roof bar and lounge bar very nice to have a good time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cthsxm
shinjuku-granbell, お客様担当マネージャー at Shinjuku Granbell Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2015
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.
We are very pleased to hear that from you and you enjoyed the room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours truly,

Hotel Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

First off, I want to start by saying the location is bad, which is why this "4 star" hotel is so cheap. It's a 20-30 minute walk from shinjuku station and there is nothing in its near vicinity.

Second, the real reason to avoid this hotel is they have zero value for customer service. I requested an early checkin since I had an overnight flight and just wanted to sleep, but when I arrived they tried to charge me approx $100 for checking in at 12pm and not 3pm!!! Absolutely ridiculous a full nights pay for 3 hours! After an argument they decided to offer me early check in at 1pm so I would have to wait one hour and pay $40. At that point I just said cancel the reservation and went to the nearby best western which is in a better location for the same price and they let me check in right away.

Avoid this hotel, this type of service is unacceptable for a "4 star" hotel. They even tried convincing me other hotels won't let me check in at 12 if I left. I understand if rooms are occupied and must be cleaned but simply trying to bargain with me for extra cash to get into an already empty room is ludicrous for a hotel that is rated 4 stars, now I know why it's only $100 a night.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
20 Thank Ash K
shinjuku-granbell, お客様担当マネージャー at Shinjuku Granbell Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2015
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.

We are truly sorry that you had such a disappointing visit because of the poor customer service you received and we want you to know that we take your concerns seriously and that I will share this in our corporate office.

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to fix something that is wrong.

Yours sincerely,
Hotel General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#8 of 81 in Shinjuku

Been to Shinjuku Granbell Hotel? Share your experiences!