“Clean Crash Pad in Tokyo”

Hotel Listel Shinjuku
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I’ll admit, I was a bit nervous and did not know what to expect from the Listel Hotel Shinjuku. I knew it was a budget hotel, and rooms would be tiny, but my main concern was cleanliness.

When we arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it was basic and small, but very clean (whew), and fully stocked with everything we could need – free wifi, bathroom amenities, towels, robes, slippers, etc. The room and bathroom kind of reminded me of a cruise ship cabin if that makes any sense.

The staff were friendly, but from what I remember, they did not speak much English. My friend did much of the talking in Japanese. It was a little bit of a pain to find the place at first, but once we got the hang of the location, it was easy to get to and from the hotel. Overall, we had a great stay and I’d happily return to another budget “business hotel” in Tokyo in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank aaucello
There are newer reviews for Hotel Listel Shinjuku

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Regarding the price we paid, we were expecting a low-class hotel.
Instead, we found a pleasant hotel very well located in a exciting area.
Rooms are clean, not too small, and have a WI-FI access included.
Hôtel staff speaks a fine english.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adrien69
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Hotel Listel is what is called in Japan a "businessman's hotel".
Meaning: it is very basic.
Rooms are tiny. They do contain a fridge, but you have to ask for ice!
Reception desk attendants speak very little English. Internet access available on just one machine in the lobby, for a price. There are two sections: the main section and the Annex.
Try to get a room in the Annex: then, you don't have to go past the desk to get to your room.
If you're in the main section, the desk attendants look askance if you bring in a guest (as if that were any of their business!)
The location is quite out of the way, and even taxi drivers have trouble finding it. On a side street off the main drag.
One good point: they serve a free breakfast, which is adequate. The restaurant also serves dinner, and the food is OK, if unremarkable.
If you're looking to scrimp on money, this is one possibility.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2013

If you want to experience a horrible death before you die, spend a night here. Small, cramped, dirty, foul cigarette smell, this hotel hasn't been updated for 40 years. There are smears and stains running down the walls. No wifi access, no English speaking, grumpy staff and a long walk away from any train station. Terrible value for money, I wouldn't even recommend it to a backpacker.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank grumpy0ldman1
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We booked through expedia this hotel with my partner and they gave us a small room with small bed, dirty bathroom, dirty carpet and smelly. I know Japan very well and this hotel is so crappy and tacky! Toyoko-inn are like a Four seasons compared to this hotel. I think staff is not japanese because they are not polite and do not have japanese standard customer care.. Wifi is only available at reception and cable internet is available in rooms but you must pay for it.

Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Directions to hotel from the Main Shinjuku station: Can be a walk but we actually didn't mind the walk. There might be easier directions but here are mine. Directions from the Shinjuku station east exit. Walk out the ticket "turnstiles" and walk down the stairs and keep walking straight [on Koshu Kaido]. Keep walking for about 5 minutes until you hit a main road, Meiji-dori [Forever 21 Store at the corner]. At the main road cross the street and then turn left. Walk for about 10 mins. You should pass Shinjuku-dori, a main road. At Yasukuni-dori make a right. Keep walking for about 5 minutes until the third traffic light [across the street there should be a cafe called, Caffe Veloce]. Make a left at the 3rd traffic light. The make a right and the Hotel will come up on your right side.

Service: Being that I've only had such good service in Japan I was disappointed with the customer service at Hotel Listel. This is my 3rd time in Japan and every time I have stayed at a hotel the hotels have provided umbrellas on a rainy day. Although they did not provide the umbrellas for free they did sell umbrellas at the front desk. For people who work at a hotel I also expected at least one person there to speak English fluent but both people working during our stay had trouble communicating in English. Another complaint would be that I asked for the location for a place and they highlighted the wrong location on the map for me so we later found where we needed to go ourselves by checking on the internet.

Room: I don't have any complaints on the room. The room was the average room size you get in Japan. Very clean. Had shampoo, conditioners, body wash, everything you'd need. If you want to stay near Shinjuku, don't mind walking, and don't really deal with the front desk then this is a great place. It's not too expensive but not extremely cheap either. I'd say it's definitely a fair price for what you get.

Con: early check out time, not very good at English, can be far depending on how much you like to walk

Pro: clean, Shinjuku area, wifi in room, fair price

Room Tip: There are 2 floors that are non smoking floor. We stayed on the 12th floor, which was a non-smoking...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sstellar87
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed at Listel for a few nights in December 2012. My feeling is that the hotel is OK, but I could have found something more interesting. The room was good and clean, but the location is not that good, i.e. 20 minutes (at least) walking from Shinjuku station. The staff is very helpful but most of them does not speak english, which makes the communication harder. Also, the hotel lobby smells fish and other foods at breakfast and lunch times, which is not that pleasant. Summing up, I would stay there again, but only if i was unable to find something better located at a fair price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo