“Cheap and comfortable accommodation in great Tokyo district”
Review of Tama Ryokan

Tama Ryokan
Ranked #44 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my short three night stay in Tama Ryokan. The room was spacious by Tokyo standards (I had been staying in a Shinjuku hotel just prior to Tama, so I had a benchmark). The room was comfortable with a great air conditioner, and I didn't experience any noise. The location so close to the station was great. Takadanobaba is wonderful district - not as hectic as Shinjuku core, but with lots of excellent and affordable places to eat and things to do.

The rules of the house, while perhaps a bit odd to a Westerner, were pretty straightforward to follow. The website discusses them at length and possibly makes them seem more strict or intense than they actually are. Anyway, if you're visiting a foreign culture, why look for a Western experience?

The hosts communicated well via email before the trip and actually put me in touch with some people they knew in Tokyo that shared some of my interests. That was perhaps a bit fortunate, and not necessarily plausible for all guests or interests, but it is a hint as to the effort they go to to make people feel welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris W

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I quite enjoyed my stay here for a few nights but it was quite noisy at night due to being close to a few drinking establishments.

The Takadanobaba neighbourhood is great and in general the ryokan is in a great location in Tokyo.

The lady owner makes sure you know all the rules which is fine.

I think there are better places to stay but this place does offer good value, in a good location if you can put up with the noise and slightly odd atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stee P
Reviewed 8 September 2013

the moment I walked in, my first thought was "this is a wonderful place to shot a thriller movie". There's a gothic vibe everywhere... the red blood carpet, the old cat with eye allergy meowing everytime someone appeared, the cracking sound of the old wooden floor. But don't get me wrong... the place is nice, clean and the bed was pretty comfy.
The best about this place is it's location. Takadanobaba is a lively neighborhood, where you can find lots of convenience stores as well as cheap restaurants, markets and cafes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rodrigo C
Reviewed 22 July 2013

if you get along with japanese rules and habits, it´s all good ....the location is set perfectly close to Takadanobaba Station, and its easy to get around Tokyo. If you don´t mess up the tatamis or wear the wrong shoes ...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bymski
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently stayed at Tama Ryokan for 4 nights. It was my first experience staying in a ryokan and it was very positive. I felt like I was well-prepared for the place by reviewing the wealth of information available on its website. I suggest that all potential visitors do the same. The place was nearly full when I arrived, and I ended up in a small not-Japanese style room on the second floor. This was not a problem. I was traveling solo, the room's air conditioning worked very well, and there was a lock on the door (which, after some further thought, didn't feel necessary). The amount of external sound traveling into my room did not interfere with my rest, but I can only speak for the room where I stayed. The other rooms are positioned elsewhere in the house so I guess your experience may vary. Mrs. Turner keeps a very nice house, and was gracious in introducing me to the various rules to follow while staying there. She was almost always available to answer questions, and when it was necessary to correct my behavior it never felt condescending, more of a matter-of-fact.

The bathroom and shower faciltiies were clean and I felt very comfortable staying in the house. It felt like a good "home base" for the business and sightseeing activity I was performing in Tokyo, and the comfort was important as I was traveling alone with a very limited awareness of the language. My trip was a success and I plan to return next year. I will be hoping to stay here again.

I'm having a hard time finding anything to complain about since the website and other TripAdvisor reviews gave me a good idea of what I was getting into - and given the price and location, the value of the stay was as high as I can imagine. I did have to wait in the lobby for some time when I arrived as Mrs. Turner checked in a large group that arrived ahead of me, but this was very understandable as she was the only host there! This review may seem overwhelmingly positive, but the consistent and predictable nature of my stay in this ryokan played a large part of the success of my trip. I'd gladly repeat the experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott J
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Tama Ryokan is very well located in Takadanobaba, just two short stops north of Shinjuku in a wonderfully busy, safe and cheap student oriented area.$40 per person per night made a 3 night stay for a family of 4 in Tokyo a viable proposition during our 13 week holiday.
Tama Ryokan is an older property just off a Main Street, the decor is quite tired in communal areas, the rooms are clean and tidy, sleeping on futons in rooms with paper screen doors gives, what I imagine to be, a fairly authentic experience of traditional Japanese living.
We did not meet Mr Turner at all, Mrs Turner was ever present. She was a delightful lady who kept an ultra clean home. She could have not been more helpful showing us through her home and showing us personally to local restaurants shortly after our arrival. Her desire to keep the house clean and follow the Japanese domestic "rules" did unfortunately set us on edge with the kids being swiftly admonished for setting foot on the hall carpet in outdoor shoes and her forensic cleansing of the wheels on the cases as they crossed the threshold. We are always happy to experience new cultures and adapt as required, perhaps a slightly less neurotic approach may leave future guests more at ease.
If you accept it for what it is (cheap, well located and a bit tired) and are prepared for the idiosyncrasies of Japanese domestic living and Mrs Turner it'll be great accomodation.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Plangy
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed in the ryokan for 5 nights in March 13 and the service provided by the owner's wife was exceptional. She even volunteered her son's house (which was an apartment 2 mins walking distance away from the ryokan, situated just beside the subway station) for us to stay in. I can't speak much about the rooms in the ryokan itself, but her offer was too good to resist! So we took it up and stayed at her son's apartment (whom I presume was away during the period of time)

It's literally 1 minute away from the subway, and being a university town there were a lot of affodable food around the area. The prices were very very cheap and I'm not sure how the owners earn a profit by charging us around US$35 per person per night IN TOKYO in such an excellent location.

Being a ryokan I didn't expect things like room service, but Mrs. Turner was exceptional in her service and in making us comfortable in the town. Because we stayed in her son's apartment we got the whole place to ourselves!

The Takadanobaba station itself was surrounded by malls with many shops like uniqlo, don juan, cosmetic stores (where their hada labo and gatsby is cheaper than in my country lol) and their 100yen store (where you can buy a lot of things like slippers, iphone case, food and drinks, hats and cutlery etc etc) and it's constantly buzzing with activity. The line itself is also very convenient; t is a direct train journey to both Harajuku and Shinjuku station (and possibly Tokyo station too, I forget)

I read some bad reviews and from my experience I don't think the ryokan deserves the 1 star it got from some reviewers. I never met Mr. Turner himself so I can't speak for him, but his wife was really friendly (she even came one night warning us about potential fire hazards because of a fire outbreak nearby that day).

One thing though, it is a ryokan and not a hotel, hence I think expectations should be moderated. Do not stay in the ryokan expecting daily change of laundry sheets, towels, etc. The cleanliness of the room is also dependent on how we want the room to be kept clean, so don't throw your litter around, stain the walls and floors expecting it to be cleaned after you come back. The ryokan is just a place for sleeping, not really a place for hanging out as the corridor's and stair's really narrow and tiny (in land-scarce tokyo the last thing to associate with a house is big, open and spacious)

All in all, if I have to go to Tokyo another time (and which I will) I will definitely contact the ryokan again!

Room Tip: BOOK WAY IN ADVANCE. I booked a good few months in advance and it was only two weeks or so before my...