“Super clean, super friendly NO-SMOKING hotel next to easy trains”

Lotte city hotel Kinshicho
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels / Ryokan in Sumida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a wonderful hotel with super friendly staff. I wanted a non-smoking hotel in Japan and this place is great for clean-air breathers. It's super clean inside. I felt the need to tidy up before I left on my daily rounds!

It's right next to Kinshicho Station (the second "I" is silent, by the way..."KIN-SHO") and you can quickly walk to a couple metro lines, and be at the big Tokyo Station in eight minutes. From there, Japan is yours. Also, there's a long direct metro to Narita Airport (though you do have to change in Narita to get to the terminals). Or you can just go to Tokyo Station and take the superfast Nex train right to the airport. Use the public transport here. It's rather complex, but rather easy once you get the hang of it. And the locals and the metro staff are always willing to help. They are super nice.

The room size is what I'd expect in a decent NYC business hotel. There's a shower room and tub (you're supposed to shower off totally first, get rid of the soap, and then get into the tub). And yes, the whole room is a shower. Close the door and fire up the water. Lotsa room.

The toilet is Western style and it's also a robot. Heated, flushes when you get up. It's great. And the paper is good quality, too, so no need to bring your own.

AC controls and bed quality made me happy. They supply fresh robes and slippers. Big TV with plenty of channels (watch the local Japanese TV and get into it) plus CNN to keep up with U.S. and world news. There's a nice little refrigerator you can stock with stuff from the handy 7-Eleven downstairs. The 7-Elevens are all over and not like those in the U.S. You can get dress shirts there, if you spill something on your shirt and need to have a new one for business. Also some decent packaged food.

There's also a little restaurant and bakery downstairs (Charlotte Chocolate Factory...a take on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"?) that's great for breakfast and coffee. The breakfast is mostly Japanese with some U.S./English foods. I liked it. Good quality. Just give it a try. Seaweed and smoked fish, and natto even (!), are fun to sample here. The local UCC coffee is excellent. You can get cute Koala bear pancakes (the Koala is the hotel mascot) and cereal and some sweet things, too. And the staff is super nice.

Listen, it's no trouble with English here. They do pretty well and they do everything to help you. Just be nice back, learn a little Japanese, smile, bow, and everyone will be super friendly and helpful back to you. I loved everyone I encountered in the city. I was amazed how people jumped in and helped when I just even looked the least bit perplexed. Moms with kids. Train staff. Everyone just jumped in and helped this gaijin get where he needed to go.

I had a surprise business trip to Kanegawa, outside Tokyo. Three trains, no problem, though I'd never been there before. I had to take three trains and one amazing Shinkansen (bullet train) to visit Honda's incredible Motegi complex. No problem. And I only waited on the platform a total of five minutes that day! The trains just keep coming. Amazing. Tip: Look into buying a Shinkansen pass before coming into the country. You might get one for cheap with unlimited rides, I hear. Think about buying a metro pass before you arrive, or maybe just when you arrive. I think it's better that way. Research before you go. There's also a $30 bus from Narita to a big hotel down the street. I took that. Easy.

So, I really liked the hotel. Had all I needed for business travel. All around Tokyo, I also felt really safe, too. Just seems like the city is very much under control. The Kinshicho area is one of the older places in Tokyo, and late at night you can walk into some sketchier areas where it seems that some foreigners are inviting you to do questionable things. Just don't go there and you'll be fine.

Food-wise, there are places to eat around the hotel. Right up one big street nearby, you can find fish and noodle places frequented by locals, so you know they're good. Look into the department stores, too, where there's usually a food court or food floor. Look up on the side of the buildings and there's usually a sign that says which floor.

But from Kinshicho Station, you can easily ride the rails to Akihabara (gaming, electronics), or Shinjuku (huge shopping) and find more to eat. McDonald's ("Makku-don-Arudo") are all around, if you absolutely must, and also KFC (original recipe....) and even Denny's and at least one Coco's. I avoided all Western places though (you know that 7-Eleven is now Japanese owned?) and went Asian all the time. Get to the train station, grab a bento box filled with seafood and rice and ride the rails. Vending machines are everywhere to grab a drink. The money is easy to manage. Just think that 1000 Yen is like $10. They laughed at my 2000 Yen notes I got at my bank in the U.S. Apparently that's like a $2 bill in the U.S. They never see them.

Also, cabs are easy, though more expensive. Super clean, too. Doily-topped seats. Pretty much all of Tokyo is clean. Makes NYC look like some kind of post-apocalyptic movie set. And people are so quiet on the metro. Every car is like the quiet car. It's clean, it's quiet, despite being a big city.

The Lotte City Hotel is really quiet, too. My room must have been really well insulated. I never heard the train station or anyone else. Always slept very well.

Other conveniences for the traveler: A laundry room (7-Eleven stocks washing powder) and a lounge on the same floor (to wait for your laundry) with coffee, tea, magazines and free laptops with internet access. If you bring your own computer, just bring a cable to plug in for internet service. I did that, for much needed business, and then it was super fast.

I'm a busy business traveler. I need conveniences to get through my week. I need quiet and sleep and a feeling of safety in a foreign land. I like a helpful staff (they happily kept my big bag while I went to see the famed Suzuka 8-Hour motorcycle race over the weekend). I like easy food and easy access to public transportation. The Lotte City Hotel gave me all of this.

I'm grateful to the nice staff for making my trip to Japan a big success. I recommend this hotel to other business travelers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TVH350
ロッテシティホテル錦糸町, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Lotte city hotel Kinshicho, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2014

Thank you very much for staying at Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho.

I saw a contribution
We are pleased that you enjoyed to staying at our hotel
Also, thank you for words of much praise.
Our hotel is located at near JR Line and is connecting directiy with Hanzomon line.
Therefore,is easy to go to other place.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Front desk
Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Located just few meters away from JR Kinsicho station (North Exit) and at one of the exit of Kinsicho Metro station, make it so practical to move around Tokyo. JR Kinsicho is only 3 stops away from JR Tokyo station (Sobu Line). So it is a nice place as it is not that busy but not too far from the city. Eating places are abundant and just within walking distance. Transfer to Narita Airport is not so covenient since the only train to Narita from Kinsicho is a rapid/local train, so it takes about 90 minutes to terminal 1. The alternative is to go to Tokyo then take the Narita Express, if you are not carrying big suitcase.
The hotel itself is great, clean room, well equiped, nice bed although a bit small for a 4 star hotel, helpful staffs but unfortunately they provide only wired internet connection which I think a bit unusual as now adays we are using smartphones more than notebooks. Luckily you can find seven eleven shop in the basement that provide free wifi.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Handoko T
ロッテシティホテル錦糸町, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Lotte city hotel Kinshicho, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you very much for having stayed at Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho.
As your comment says, it is convenient for going to Tokyo station, Skytree or other sightseeing places because we are located near the station.
Also you could go to Narita Airport by train directly, or you could go by bus or taxi.
To Haneda airport, there is a shuttle bus from near station of our hotel.
The guidance of access to the airport is prepared at Front desk.
We are afraid to say that there is no Wifi facility in guest rooms now although we have considered the introduction. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We appreciate for your all praising comments abut our hotel and staff.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Front desk
Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho

Reviewed 2 June 2014

It was my second time staying with this hotel and it didn't disappoint, will definitely be returning again :) The hotel is situated near the JR Kinshicho station (North exit) and above the Tokyo Metro Hanzomon line (exit 4). For ladies, be sure to stay at their special ladies room on 17 floor - great amenities and view!
There is a guest lounge on level 7 with free coffee and tea service and laptops for your own use. The self laundry room is also on the same floor provided with washer and dryer machines - great for long staying guests.
Be sure to check out Book Off at level 3 for discounted second hand books, great bargains!
Another good tip for those wishing to go to Tokyo Disney Resort from the hotel - take the Tobu Tokyo Skytree Shuttle from the bus stop in front of Livin shopping mall (720 yen), save the hassle of taking the train ;) The return bus will depart from Disneyland or Disneysea bus terminal back to the JR Kinshicho station.

Room Tip: Book the ladies long sofa twin room to get a view of Tokyo Skytree.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LeiraV
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Lotte 2 nights and 3 nights in Marriott courtyard tokyo station.
Lotte has a far better quality price ratioand even quality, thougj Marriott owns one star more.
Location of lotte is practical as just beside a JR and metro station. It is not in a famous quarter, but still very practical to visit the city.
The room was small but very well organised and cozy.
Globally good quality ratio for thr price we paid (little more than 100€)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2014

the hotel near the station and easy to find,the room was so beautiful and cozy,and price was quiet resonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ginobobo
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I always prefer non-smoking rooms when I make a reservation. When I was looking for non-smoking and nice hotel,I saw this hotel on website. This hotel is very near the metro station and all the rooms are non-smoking. Room was spacious for a person. I can see Skytree at hotel.
Breakfast was also speicial for me.
They served breakfast with chocolate.
I never can not forget this hotel.
If I have another chance to visit Tokyo,I'll come this hotel again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank S1000R
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed for a week at the Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho.

The location is very nice. It is just across the street from the JR Kinshicho station (go out the north exit, head right, and it's just across the street) and directly connected to the Tokyo subway Kinshicho Station on the Hanzomon line. On the JR line, it is only minutes (three stops) from Tokyo Station via the JR Sobu line. Best bet to access Narita Airport is via the Narita Express to Tokyo and then the JR Sobu (which happens to be on the same level at Tokyo Station).

There is lots of shopping and restaurant choices within a very short walk of the hotel.

Check-in was on the 4th floor and was quick. Our room was rather small, rather what we expected in a Tokyo hotel room, but was clean and nicely laid out. The bathroom was small with a toilet, sink and bathtub with a shower attachment. We had a perfect view from our window of the SkyTree tower nearby.

There are coin laundry machines in this hotel which was nice. There are also two English pubs, a couple of media/book stores, and restaurants in the building. There is a 7-11 also in the building.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the SkyTree.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family