“Ok for a couple of days.”
Review of Asakusa Smile

Asakusa Smile
Ranked #15 of 22 Speciality lodging in Sumida
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Maybe one of the cheapest hostels in Tokyo, The hostel has 2 buildings. I stayed in the 2nd building, 4 blocks walking from the main building. Is not very clean but you can survive for a couple of days!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Room and bed is good. But toilet is old. Let say it's not clean as Japan standard. The stairs is disgusting. Anyway, it's OK for one night when you come Japan in cherry blossom season and everywhere is full booking. The only remarkable point is welcome drink at the bar :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2014

On my first night at the Asakusa Smile I was propositioned by another visitor, and had a very unpleasant experience where he did not take no for an answer, to put it gently. I did not return to sleep at the hostel. I was a lone female studying Japanese, who had travelled to Tokyo to meet up with friends.

When I went back to the hostel to collect my things a couple of days later and explained what had happened they were 'unhelpful' and informed me that as I had not told them about my sexual assault when it happened they would not refund me for the two nights I had not slept there nor for the upcoming days I had booked but I felt unable to use as I could not return to sleep there.

No one suggested I go to the police or offered to take me, even though they knew exactly who I described and even had his passport number.

No one even asked if I was ok, they simply asserted that firstly it was my fault for not notifying them immediately, and kept denying any responsibility for the hostel. They also made me explain in Japanese what had happened to me to the manager, whilst many staff speak English and I am not fluent in Japanese. The manager only replied that it was not the hostel's fault so I have nothing more to say to them. They felt no onus of guilt about what had happened.

The hostel is unsafe, anyone can wander in off the streets and nobody locks their doors. Whilst the hostel is not at fault for the traumatic experience I had, they were responsible for humiliating me and refusing to help with any of the legal side.

Don't send your daughters here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Hannah O
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This place is lousy. Had to book at short notice - should have stayed in the riverside capsule instead, much better value. Noisy, smelly, dirty, poor shared facilities and awful dorm.
The bar is good and worth a visit but the hostel is best avoided!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank juzzaj
Reviewed 23 November 2013

If you're looking for a good time, this is the place. There is a 100 yen shop literally 20 steps away from the building. They give you free alcohol tickets which you can use for any drink of your choice. Let's just say after 11 rounds of irish car bombs, 4-5 rounds of whiskey and gin, and teaching Japanese girls drinking games ends up in an awesome night

Room Tip: Check and make sure the heater works
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Really was dreadful. Receptionist tried when I arrived to send me to another hostel some blocks away with a muddled map. She was a unique creature- a rude Japanese! Other staff were utterly uninterested in providing any help at any time.

It was filthy- as wellas the roaches all sorts of nasty stains on the bedroom walls. Lots of aggressive notices threatening fines and throwing out for various misdemeanours. It is not actually in Askakusa though only a few minutes walk from the station.

The only redeeming feature is the bar which is quite friendly with a mix of travellers and locals wanting to practice their English.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 28 August 2013

when we arrive in asakusa, we have to move to another hostel not in asakusa smile......which is a little bit far from asakusa smile, but near 7 eleven.....room is quite big, but no bathroom on 3rd floor, we have to que with the other guest on 2nd floor.....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lydia_Salman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumida
Hotel MyStays Asakusa
#3 of 22 in Sumida
Oak Hostel Sakura
#6 of 22 in Sumida
Nui. Hostel & Bar Lounge

Been to Asakusa Smile? Share your experiences!