“Back in the past”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$117.62*
and up
Private Asakusa, Tsukiji Fish Market and Sumo Stable Tour Including Water Bus...
More Info
US$823.64*
and up
Private Tokyo Custom Full-Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #1 of 224 things to do in Sumida
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This property is temporary closed from October 1st, 2017 to March 31st, 2018 due to renovation. This fascinating museum displays artifacts and architecture that tell a tale of Tokyo's history. Exhibits include replicas of historical Kabuki theatre and the original Edo Castle.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This museum was huge. You will feel a little bit back in that Era. Good to see and understanding a Asian history and culture. You will enjoy and relax while strolling through.

1  Thank Sami C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This museum was really nice... I really learnt a lot about Tokyo and as it was called Edo,
there are lovely scaled models of the street scape dotted around the museum with binoculars so you can get a closer look...
I thought I would get around the museum in 1 hour but I think I was there for 3 hours. The more I write this the more I remember.
Very well worth the visit,,, but don't go on mondays as it is closed for invitation only (don't quote me) I went there on a Monday.

1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 26 July 2014

What a fantastic museum for me and my son. It is right around the corner from where the sumo fights are held. Made a go place to visit while we waited for the sumo fights to begin. Lots of history on the beginnings of Tokyo from the city of Edo.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This museum is a must see for any visit to Tokyo. It gives great insight into the history and culture of the country. I thought it brought back the past to life. I recommend booking a guide. We had a lovely English speaking Japanese lady who explained the exhibits to us and answered our numerous questions. It made a huge difference to our enjoyment.
There is a traditional Japanese restaurant in the museum which is excellent and quite reasonably priced.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

For history buffs and anyone interested in the history of modern Japan, this is a great museum. I really wished that this had existed when I lived in Japan 25 years ago, as it explained so much that I didn't understand then. This is more of a modern museum with plenty of life-size reconstructions and dioramas taking visitors through the history of Tokyo, from its founding as Edo under the Tokugawa Shogunate through to the modern day. This includes some unique insights into life in the lead-up to and during WWII.

There are some amazingly detailed reconstructions of street scenes from Tokyo's history and daily domestic life. There is enough English signage to make the visit worthwhile if you don't speak Japanese. Apparently the English guides are good if you are nervous about the amount of Japanese, but speaking both languages, I though the English signage was just fine.
The museum provides insights into daily life and who the Japanese are that as a tourist you can't normally get by visiting the temples and shrines. There are some interesting insights into the commuter and "salaryman" cultures which dominated so much of 20th century Japan.

There is enough to keep kids interested and if you relate them back to your own country then it will be quite an educational experience.