“Convenient location to explore Tokyo”

Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
New York City, New York
“Convenient location to explore Tokyo”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

In our first trip to Tokyo, we used Hotel Wing International in Ikebukuro as our home base while exploring the rest of the city. We wanted to stay in a convenient neighborhood, but also somewhere that would have a good vibe when we were hanging out at night. Ikebukuro is busy, it's the third busiest rail station in the world. It also has two major department stores, Sunshine city, and a host of other major attractions (Bic Camera!), but if I had to do it again, I would maybe stay somewhere a bit more subdued.

That being said, for a first time visit it was a great place to springboard to see the rest of the city, and Hotel Wing had very comfortable lodging for the price. The hotel is a short walk from the train station (less than 10 minutes). The room was stayed in was standard size for Japan, and felt new, or at least renovated. This is by no means luxury, but a good, clean, economy hotel. The staff was very accommodating, and answered any questions we had. Ikebukuro is also a great place to stay if you're coming or going to Narita, the JR service goes directly from Ikebukuro Station.

Highly recommend as a place to stay when you first experience Tokyo, but would probably find a more chill neighborhood to stay next time around. No qualms with the hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe G
wingike, フロント at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your stay our hotel.
We glad to hear your trip is satisfactory.
Ikebukuro is enjpoynable town!
We hope that we can serve you again. Sincerely yours.

Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro
Murakami

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Buy a package with flight tickets & hotel for 4 nights. Room is small but got everything you need. Staff is helpful - did help to call to a resturant. Free coffee at the lobby is a plus. Wifi is too slow better to prepare your own internet access. Location is good that it is not too noisy but still close to main shopping area. It is good if what you need is a place to sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis N
wingike, フロント at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your stay.
In addition, please come to the hotel by all means when you come to Tokyo.

I am looking forward to using you again.

HOTELWINGINTERNATIONAL IKEBUKURO
MURAKAMI
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stay for 9 nights at this hotel last month when I was in Tokyo. The location is quite strategic. Located 10-15 min away from Ikebukuro station by walking. If you take a taxi then it will be 3-4 min. Taxi will be glad to take you there just with 700 yen which is the starting rate because it's just 1km away. There's Sunshine city at ikebukuro, Seibu, Tobu departmental store at Ikebukuro JR station. So you can do some shopping there.

Room wise it's usual japanese style, small and compact but very clean and comfortable and there's window in the room that are functional. Hotel staff are really friendly and helpful and they can speak english. We ask for directions to go Disneyland and a few places they answered us promptly.

Another plus point, I really like it when they make guest feel comfortable and flexible, I book a 4 days then another 4 days at first because I was planning to visit kyoto in between for a day. My plans didn't make it and I just inform the receptionist that I would like to book for another night after the 4 nights. She said no problem and she didn't make me change my room and the payment can be made whenever I want.
There are also clear signs for housekeeping options.

Yes there are stairs before you enter the hotel area, if you have heavy and bulky luggage do intercom them so they can let you utilize their lift. They help me on that during my arrival and departure. Price well, alot more affordable than the usual japan hotel price.

There's 7-Eleven, Lawsomn, Family Mart all nearby by walking distance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AbbyChin
Thank you for your stay.
If there are any problems, please contact the front desk staff at any time.
In addition, please come to the hotel by all means when you come to Tokyo.

I am looking forward to using you again.

HOTELWINGINTERNATIONAL IKEBUKURO
MURAKAMI
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Chosen by an online travel agent (who I would not deal with again). This was given to us as 4*...I would say it is like a "rent by the hour" cheap hotel. Two flights of stairs to get down with luggage, rooms so small you cannot even open up suitcases without putting them on the bed. Very steep to get in to shower bath and then quite a step down back into the room.
A big plus to reception staff, they are lovely and very accommodating, and close to shopping centre,station and lots of little restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014
wingike, FRONT STAFF at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you very much for using Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro.
We are very sorry for your inconvenience to stay in small room aslo the bath room compare to other place.We do not have much space in Tokyo, as you know.
Our hotel reception desk is placed in basement so if you want to use Elevator, please use interphone next to stairs. We will escort you to reception.

Thanks so much for you realized our warm service we will keep smiling for each guests.

Thank you and we will try to improve our service from your advice.
We hope will see you again in Tokyo.
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Chose to stay at this hotel again because of its location and affordable prices. Clean rooms and good service from the staff as always. The rooms are small, standard for Japan's business hotels, but the amenities (especially that wide flat-screen TV) made up for it.

Although it's a 10-minute walk from the station, it is relatively near to the main shopping district of Ikebukuro (less than a 5-min walk away) so that was a plus-point for me. The couple of konbinis near the hotel really added to the convenience of staying there too.

Decided to try to the Japanese breakfast this time round by redeeming my accumulated points and the food was good too.

Will definitely stay here again when I visit Tokyo.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jirian
wingike, front staff takai at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you very much for using our hotel once again.
Our hotel is takes about 10 mins by foot from Ikebukuro station.
But there is alot of facilities nearby.
So, I think it is very convenient to stay our hotel specially for the guest who want to go shopping in Tokyo.
Hotel's bereakfast is very popular especially the rice poured with the green tea, most popular for the foreigner guest.
We also have a big room, so please try to use it next time.
Thank you once again, and we're looking forward seeing you soon

Best regads,
Front staff TAKAI REIKA
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Only feedback is the breakfast menu . ¥800 is quite expensive & not much variety to choose from . I will not opt in for my next visit for sure ( Unless change to buffet style ? )

There are only a few staff who can understand and speak simple english . No doubt Japan has the best service in the world but I feel that all staff should be able to communicate in english .

Address these 2 feedback and I'll rate Hotel Wing Ikebukuro 5 for overall
service =)

Arigatou Gozaimasu~~

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Soh W
wingike, Front staff at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you very much for using Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro.
The staff is trying to chage the breakfast because it's expensive.
We try to tell to the hotel manager about this, and I hope when you came back,
the breakfast style have a little improvement.
Sorry for the hard comunnication to staff.
Some of the Staff can understand english but hard to say it in English.
We're trying to take a lesson in business english as soon as possible.

Thank you once agin and we're looking forward seeing you soon.
Best regards,
Front staff: TAKAI Reika
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife chose this place because we were arriving in Tokyo around 5am and we wanted to check in that early and get rest. This was one of the few places she found that had such an early check-in policy. Since we were only staying one night in Tokyo, it didn't matter much to me where we stayed. Size-wise, this place will be a shock for Americans with no experience traveling in Japan. I've visited Japan many times, but I guess I forgot how small rooms can be, particularly in Tokyo.
There was a queen, or double-size mattress that we could both fit on, and a narrow counter holding a small TV, and just enough room on the floor next to the bed to place our luggage. There was also a bathroom. But we had to hop over our luggage to get in or out of the room, and I am so tall it was difficult to close the bathroom door when sitting on the john. Additionally, when you arrive, the check-in counter is below street level and the elevator to go down to it is only accessible from the restaurant entrance at the rear.
These are mostly minor quibbles though. The most important fact is that it appeared clean, I did not see any pests, there was hot water in the shower, the mattress was comfortable enough, and it was not noisy. It ran us about $140 for one night, which I thought was a little bit expensive compared to other hotels we've stayed at in the US that had more space and luxuriant amenities, but this is Tokyo, so prices are different.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
wingike, Reception at Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your choice to stay with us.

As you mentioned, we have ‘Early Check-in Plan’ for the customer. It is kind of using Day-use plan with one night plan so little bit expensive than just staying one night.

We are so sorry for your inconvenience to stay in small room compare to other place. We do not have much space in Tokyo, as you know. Our hotel reception desk is placed in basement so if you want to use elevator, please use interphone next to stairs. We will escort you to reception.

We are terribly sorry that we did not inform you about amenities. You could take amenities we have next to reception desk by free.

Thank you and we will try to improve our service from your advice.
We hope will see you again in Tokyo.