“Hard to find and such a depressing place.”

Ikebukuro Sauna & Capsule Oasis
and 1 more site!
Ikebukuro Sauna & Capsule Oasis
Melbourne, Australia
“Hard to find and such a depressing place.”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

A friend had booked this hotel for us and I had not read any reviews on this place. I had looked it up on google maps and read the instructions about the reception being on the 8th floor. That was all I had done.
I arrived alone in the evening and spent half an hour dragging my luggage around looking for the hotel and also spent so much money, data roaming trying to locate it on my phone. I had asked a few people where the hotel was before finding someone who knew. Turns out I had passed it 3 times. It only has an obscure unlit sign high up the building. At ground level there are no signs in English only a laminated piece of paper in Japanese.
I had to drag my luggage up a few steps and use the elevator up to the 8th floor only to be greeted with a narrow corridor with shoe lockers on either side of the walls. The reception smelt like stale sour cigarettes and dirty shoes. It was dimly lit and had a sad atmosphere.
The only plus is that the man at reception was extremely polite and it is close to the train station.
At the time I was just relieved to have found the hotel and decided to give the room a chance.
When the man at reception showed me the way to my floor, all the room doors were opened with dirty linen piled into the hallway. This was at around 7pm and check-in time was supposed to have been at 3pm. There were no rooms ready yet.
There was only one woman cleaning all the rooms. My room was at the end of the hall and as I passed each room I could see the stained mattresses and felt even worst about this hotel. The stench of cigarettes was still there in the room and there was a lot of dust all along the edges of the carpet. Later that night there was a small cockroach crawling up the wall near my luggage.

The room was very small with no space to put my luggage, let alone open it. The room felt old and tired. Only 2 of the 4 light bulbs in the room worked and the air-con was blowing the smell of stale smoke in my face. The bathroom was clean and so was the separate toilet but those are the only positive things I can say about the room. The walls are thin and when I was falling asleep, every time someone opened their room door it sounded like they were opening my door. I did not feel safe sleeping there. Needless to say, my friends and I checked out as soon as we found better accommodations.

I would understand if you were desperate for a room or if you were local man and you just needed some place to rest before heading home. This place is good for men who are not fussy about the state of the room since they also offer a sauna for men only. But if you have time to book ahead, this is NOT where you want to spend your money. You can get cheaper accommodation in a better hotel in a lot of places in Tokyo.

Room Tip: There really isn't a good room at this place.