Tokyu Stay Ikebukuro
US$119
US$75
Ryokan
FLEXSTAY INN Sugamo(Toshima)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$74
US$82
US$64
  • Restaurant
Hotel Wing International Ikebukuro(Toshima)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$75
Ryokan
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mystays Higashi-Ikebukuro(Toshima)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$47
MYSTAYS Official
US$93
US$88
  • Restaurant
All reviewswasher dryerwest exitroom cardenglish instructionschange towelsmicrowave ovenfried riceroom levelbreakfast was includedshower tubcrowded arealift areasingle roomon demandfelt badshopping and diningsingle occupancy
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was the first hotel that we stayed at in Tokyo and I must admit it was just a little bit hard to find after getting off the Narita Airport Express train. If you cannot locate metro exit C6, then just exit the station and onto the street. Look for the large store named BIC CAMERA or OICITY (I think). The street leading to the hotel is situated on the opposite side of the OICITY department store.

The hotel is tucked away from the main street so you will definitely get a quiet night's rest. The room is on the smaller side but I wasn't expecting much in Tokyo to start with. We got the semi-double room and the bed size is on the bigger side in comparison to the other hotels that I have stayed at in Tokyo. Like what the other reviewers said, the room is packed with amenities - microwave, combined washer and dryer, combined humidifier/air filter. It took me some time to figure out the instructions for the washer and dryer but give yourself enough time to do your laundry - it takes about 4-5 hours for the entire cycle!!

The hotel is surrounded by really good restaurants but the highlight I guess is that there is free breakfast included. I realized how important that was at the end of the my trip when I found out that breakfast is rather hard to come by since most restaurants don't really open until 11 and people get their breakfast from convenient stores.

The hotel is also very convenient in terms of transit - Ikebukuro station is the last stop for the Narita Airport Express train, and also a stop on the Yamanote Line. There are also a few subway lines that you can use. It's very easy to get around from this station.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and will not hesitate to stay here again if I come back to Tokyo!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank solstromx
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Juz stayed there for one night ( for transit in Tokyo ) and i hope i could stay longer !
The location is good , juz a few mins walk from metro exit C6 with a few convenience stores and many restaurants right around the corner , it's not far from the shopping area too .
The room was great , the bed is in a good size and is quite comfortable , there is even a microwave in the room with dishes and bowls etc provided .
The bathroom is in a good size ( compare to those "standard-japanese-style-bathroom" if u know wt i mean ) . It's clean and the shower tub is big ! there is a washing/drying machine in the bathroom , i was given a small bag of washing powder at check in so i actually have my laundry done there b4 i head home !
I totally enjoyed my short stay there i would come back for another stay next time !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Celiasng
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here on two occasions as a solo traveller (in total 6 nights). The hotel was very easy to find (less than a minute walk from C1 exit of Ikebukuro station, turn into the alleyway where an Indian takeaway is located and you should see it). It is located in a quieter section of Ikebukuro compared to East exits of the station. C1 exit however is a bit of a trek from the main station concourse, so not such a great idea lugging a big suitcase during peak hour. The exit is stairs only too!

Amenties wise, I couldn't have asked for better. The single room was very clean, modern and comfortable. It wasn't big but it was enough space for one (taking into account the lack of living space in Tokyo). Large LCD TV with spacious desk. Trouser folder machine, heater, hair dryer and a few other amenities that I didn't need, but everything was complete and more than I had asked for. Bathroom was clean and adequate, and surprisingly, part of the mirror in the bathroom is designed to not fog up so you can see yourself after you take a shower. The bed I had was a double bed even though it was a single room.

On top of all this, the main attraction of this hotel was the presence of a washer and dryer in every room, which was much needed during a hot and humid July. However, it takes time to learn the controls, and the washing/drying time is about 3 hours, so not so great if you leave early and return late. On a very small note, they only give you one sachet of washing powder per stay and you need to buy additional ones for 30yen (which is still cheap). It meant that I only got one sachet at check in despite staying for 4 consecutive nights on the 2nd occasion.

Price wise, the website offers discounts if you book well in advance. For a solo traveller, that is a considerable saving for the comfort of a business hotel. I remember checking out the prices for other places in Tokyo and I would have to pay the same price for less comfort compared to here.

Overall, this hotel is located in an excellent location that isn't too bustling with people, whilst being very comfortable and affordable for a solo traveller in Tokyo. 素晴らしかったよ。

Room Tip: Choose the non-smoking room option. The rooms on the higher levels seemed a little bigger than the ones on the lower level.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank traveller8710
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent modern hotel secreted in the back alleys of Ikebukuro. Plenty of convenience with Ikebukuro Station entrances nearby and convenience store at end of street. Cheap, good quality buffet breakfast available, plus drinks vending machines on ground floor. Excellent service and modern room access security. Rooms well equipped for self-sufficiency with utensils, cups, plates, etc. plus kettle, clean modern microwave and a fantastic modern washing-drying machine which is free to use. Speaking if free, there is also free, unlimited WiFi internet access on every floor. Full HD TV with plenty of choice of entertainment.

Don't be fooled by the small room size, they are packed with features including clean private bathrooms and you could hardly find more convenience and comfort at such quality and price. Solidly designed around you, the traveller, without the pricey, superfluous features of more highly rated hotels.

2  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I was at Tokyu Stay Ikebukuro the week of June 17th and was very happy with my choice. While there is never much room in any Tokyo hotel I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the bathroom compared to where I've stayed before. The air conditioning worked great through the hot and muggy June stay. While finding a place to put my luggage was a challenge, I managed without much issue. The best feature of this hotel is the washer/ dryer all in one machine in every room. I also had a good view on the 11th floor and enjoyed watching the hustle of Ikebukuro from time to time. Given the choice between other higher end hotels in the area, such as the Metropolitan, I will still choose Tokyu Stay for my next trip. Clean room, kind staff and great location!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business