“Nice value, excellent staff”
Review of Family Inn Saiko

Family Inn Saiko
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I read up on this hotel so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect in advance. For the price I paid, it exceeded my expectations. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. It seems to be family run and so they all truly care about the business and their guests. They offer many maps and information and of course advise upon request. The private bathroom in my room was very well designed and functional. It is a simple inn, but it is well organized, clean and cheerful. There is one metro station and a few restaurants about a 5 minutes’ walk from the inn or you can also walk to the much larger Ikebukuro station in around 20 minutes. It is located in an authentic middle class neighborhood, real if not glamorous. Maybe not the kind of place you would want to stay on a honeymoon, but, for my first 3 nights in Tokyo as a solo traveler, I found it an extremely pleasant and affordable choice I’m glad I made.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Douglas D

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This will work for you only if you are new to Japan and you haven't seen anything else in the country.
Let me start with the good: the staff is lovely, the communication via email is very smooth and they really try HARD to please you. This is certainly a good point and I can see that is what makes many people write good reviews.

Unfortunately, reviews aren't only about staff but mostly about the place.
So, we found the location not great, not only is uncomfortable to reach but is also a pretty ugly area.
When arrived, I was immediately told a series of very long rules, that are made for dumb tourists and certainly not for experienced travelers; the problems is that these rules are also written everywhere on the walls and doors and surfaces of your room, making lack of charm a room that already has very little charm in it.
And, most important, these rules are quite weird and not really nice to live with.
The room is really organized in an uncomfortable way, you mostly need to go barefoot even out of the tatami (there is a yellow line to mark the "no trespassing area" like for trains in stations!) and in the washroom. The washroom is nice and large, probably the best thing of the room. The rest, forget it. Windows wont open, the cleanliness is so so, bed are hard and not well places (I have slept in many futon in Japan and this was probably the worst)....
The common area isn't nice as well, a bit dirty and looks tired, really not enjoyable; snacks and drinks choice is poor (and the shop isn't very close as well), the washing machine will only wash but do not dry.
We asked info to at least 3 people and nobody had a clue what we were talking about. I felt like they should at least be able to give you a suggestion of a place where to eat around there or some other basic questions we had... They were kind, truly, but mostly clueless.

The only real nice thing is the private small onsen that they have on the top of the building: we enjoyed it a lot in a rainy evening, turning off the lights and listening to the sound of rain on the roof.

They are nice people, they sent us a pic of us when we came back. But still, the place is not ok.

All in all, I went there only because my usual fav place in Tokyo was full, but I regret it.
I traveled in Japan for 6 times and lived there for a few months as well. I know Tokyo offers much better choices.

I wouldn't recommend it, I wouldn't come back either. It's sad because from all the positive comments, I was expecting very differently.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AiRuoYan
FamilyInnSaiko, Manager at Family Inn Saiko, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you very much for choosing us, and we appreciate your valuable review for your stay.

Please let us do the supplementary explanation of our private bath on the 4th floor. The Japanese word "ONSEN" is used for a natural hot spring, however, our private bath (FURO, or polite form OFURO) runs on heated tap water.

We hope that your review will help others to know about our Ryokan inn, too. Thank you again for your precious time to post the review.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had the most wonderful stay here and would return in a heartbeat. It's a great location in a charming part of the city. It's quiet and comfortable. We slept well every night. The staff are unfailingly kind, helpful, warm and generous with their time, attention and advise. I heartily recommend this as a base from which to explore this fabulous city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Penny C
Reviewed 23 June 2014

i have spent more then a month in my trip to japan-travelling across the country, and family inn saiko was defenitly the best place i've stayed in. everything- from the super nice,helpfull and english speaking staff to the spacious and clean rooms- was just great. even the location, as i noticed some reviewers mantioning it is not easy to find, is actually very convenient and easy to remember. this place was a little piece of home to me in a distant country.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wonderful ryokan! I would definitely stay here again. The staff are very helpful and speak English pretty well. They even helped us make a reservation on a tour we wanted to attend. You can always ask them anything, and they will make suggestions on where to go. They even remember where you are going a certain day and will let you know of the weather. The room is smaller than we're used to, but it was still enough room. There wasn't enough space in the designated suitcase spot, so we ended up placing a suitcase underneath the counter/ledge in the room. The bathroom is really clean, and there are several small baskets hanging off the wall for you to place your toiletries. It was a 10-15 min walk to the Shiinamachi station, which is only 1 stop away from Ikebukuro. If you're looking to stay in the Tokyo area, consider staying at this ryokan, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cool1popper
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Family Inn Saiko is placed in a, almost small town like neigbourhood, just 1 train stop away from very crowded Ikebukuro. The neighbourhood has everything to offer: Restaurants, Supermarkets,Pubs everything you need. The next trainstations are 10 and 15 minute away, but that makes the area arond the hotel quiet. It´s a "modern" Ryokan (you sleep on the floor on Tatami and Futon).The hotel is earthquake safe. The rooms are small(like all rooms in Tokyo I guess) and had everything to offer: flatscreen TV, a futon and even one off those shower toilets.For me it was the first time in Tokyo and I am very happy that I found this place. It was my safe harbor in the ocean of thousand concrete houses of super urban Tokyo Megapolis! After each busy day, returning to the hotel felt like returning home. And when I was planning the next day, everyone was helping me out to organise it. The other guests in the hotel are from a lot of different countries. But since all Japanfans are like soulmates it was very easy to get along well. So if you are looking for a western style, anounymus, expensive and cold hotel in the middle of crowded area this place is not for you. Otherwise this is the best choice, if you want to get in touch with this great country and people easily.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Andy_L2472014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent a week staying at the Family Inn Saiko. We were warmly hosted by a number of family members, who were extremely helpful with all of our sightseeing questions. Trying on kimonos with Grandma was a highlight. The Inn is a a big of a walk from the train, but given the value, cleanliness, helpfulness and kimono experience ... it was well worth it. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toshima
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Ueno, Asakusa
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International
Shinjuku
Citadines Shinjuku Tokyo

Been to Family Inn Saiko? Share your experiences!