“Has some faults, but I don't mind going back”
Review of Kimi Ryokan

Kimi Ryokan
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed 7 November 2013

A friend of mine referred this place to me. When I went to book, only the mid-sized rooms were available and I was allowed to book it, at a small extra charge. I arrived, the staff helped me with my luggage and showed me around and to my room. The room was very good for just one, even with me making a big mess of it, with bags all over the place. The yukata, futon and towels were very good. Whenever I asked the staff for some info, they were very helpful and speak very good English. You get free amenities, such as tooth brushes in the bathroom area. At this moment, you are probably wondering what the faults are. Well, I found that the window in the room wasn't completely sound proofed, so in the night, I'd hear allot of noise from people with trolleys or speaking in the street. Also, there were no curtains or drapes, to prevent the light from coming in when the sun starts to go up. These are the reasons I gave 3 and 4, respectively for sleep quality and rooms. As for the cleanliness, this is due to some mold or fungus that could be seen in some of the shower curtains. The other reason was the smell or urine that was in the bathrooms. While this last is mostly related to the habits of the guests, it still isn't very nice. You do have some slippers to use whenever you need to use the toilet.
Also, one of the things I didn't like was the lack of respect some guests had to others. One came barging in at 1 a.m. making allot of noise and instead of excusing himself, he just said "I know the owner". Whether he did or not, I don't know. If he did, I'd kindly ask Mr. Kisaburo to ask his friends to keep the noise down. Still, this has nothing to do to the ryokan itself.

So, overall, when I go back to Tokyo, I will gladly stay at Kimi Ryokan, and I highly recomend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Percebezinhe

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had a great time. The location is quite convenient, being just a few minute's walk from the Ikebukuro metro and JR station. The room was small (4.5 mats), but big enough for our needs and were surprisingly comfy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The walls were a bit thin (as they were in every place we stayed during our trip), so sometimes the loud talking of the other guests woke me up. I would still easily choose to stay at the Kimi Ryokan again if I get the opportunity to go back to Japan.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was perfect! Yes the rooms are a bit small, yes you are sharing a bathroom, but it is well done, comfortable and quiet. The staff are super helpful, and it is located in a pretty cool area of tokyo, with lots of cool bars and restaurants. It is a 7 min walk to the train station, so easy to get around the city. Will definitely be back!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wilfood
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Kimi Ryokan was not only clean and beautiful, but also very traditional (tatami mat) styled rooms. I think when visiting another country, it's important to connect with the culture and surround yourself with it as much as you can; Kimi Ryokan helped with that easily. The workers at the front were very kind and informative when I had any questions, and it helped to create a bond within the place, even after the first night there. They have a common room where any of the guests can invite their friends and hang out in the room where they offer beer (in vending machines), hot tea, hot water, television, microwave, and a shared refrigerator where you don't have to worry about people stealing your stuff~
Lastly, the best part was getting to know the owner of Kimi Ryokan. His name is Kisaburo and he has very good English as well! He was not only informative about swindlers with his personal notes around the Ryokan, but he also brought us to his hometown called Ogawamachi in Saitama prefecture. His goal is to bring more tourists there to help support their businesses as well. It was more than worth visiting! We saw nature and shrines during a little hike to see some waterfalls, we ate wonderfully prepared udon that was the best I've ever had in a beautiful traditional building where they have a Totoro made of straw next to it. (Sorry for the run-on sentence; it was just that awesome!) He also brought us to some really cool stores around, an onsen after showing us Shuu Kaido (a particular flower that blossoms during autumn), and his friends' house/restaurant where we ate such delicious food with his BEAUTIFUL family.
I definitely recommend staying here if ever in Japan. It is convenient, they have a washer/dryer, and the staff and owner are so amazingly kind!!!!

Room Tip: If you have two people in a room, I suggest the one that costs about 7900/night. It was a good amoun...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brendon M
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We've stayed at the Kimi 4 times now on various visits to Japan. The place is spotless and the staff are efficient and friendly. Very similar to European hostels, has cooking and fridge facilities available. It's also a total bargain for city centre Tokyo.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I ended up choosing Kimi Ryokan for my first trip to Japan after looking up dozens of hotels and ryokans in the greater Tokyo area.

My top categories were:
1) Price
2) Cultural Traditionalism
3) Location

Originally, the location was dependent on a friend of mine who we were traveling with and had family in the Shinjuku area. Also, after booking the smallest room to share with my brother and I was a bit concerned about the size as well as the shared bathrooms.

However, once we arrived (took the Narita Express which drops you off directly at Ikebukuro station) we were blown away by the accommodations. Not only were the facilities clean and beautiful but the hospitality of the staff made our two week stay into a trip of a life time. In the end, the small room proved to be no worries. There was an ample amount of storage and the individually controlled A/C and heater made it a very comfortable stay. Also wifi on every floor was a huge plus.

I will start off by saying Ikebukuro is at the NW corner of Tokyo but the neighborhood is extremely conveniently located. It is only a 20 minute train ride too Shibuya/Harijuku; 15 minutes away from Shinjuku.

Kimi Ryokan itself is tucked away in a quiet corner on the same block as Mevius (blue sign) cigarette shop and just a block away from 7-11 (you can seriously live off Japan 7-11). A 5 minute walk you can find restaurants and arcades in the busy section across the station. The train station is a 15 minute walk away. They also have complimentary umbrellas at the entrance which proved very useful since we happened to have landed right after Typhoon Usagi.

The owner of Kimi (goes by Kibo) found us one afternoon hanging out in the lounge and taking advantage of their Sapporo vending machine (yes there is not only a beer vending machine but there is also a hot tea and water dispenser along with the typical juice/coffee vending machine). After chatting with him for a short bit he invited my friends and I to a day trip to the country side.

The trip to Saitama was hands down my favorite experience to break up the rush of Tokyo. Kibo mentioned to us that this is something he is looking to offer to his long term clients but we were lucky enough to be invited to the guinea pig trip. The purpose of this excursion is to bring more tourism to the country side. We had the pleasure of visiting:
-local sake distillery
-udon specialty shop
-local wood workers shop
-mountain side of blooming flowers
-a brief hike up a mountain with small streams/ waterfalls and shops
-onsen (Japanese baths)
-dinner at a beautifully revamped home turned restaurant

To top it all off Kibo picked us up in his awesome VW bus and was a fantastic host!

TL:DR

Kimi Ryokan is well worth the money (people from other hostels were blown away by the accommodations and were paying the same price). If you are staying for a while try to find the owner (he is there a few day out of the week) and ask him about the trip to the countryside!

I love Kimi Ryokan and would not hesitate booking this back on my next trip to Japan!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Alexandra S
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have to say Kimi Ryokan is one of the best budget hotel around. It has all the basic necessities and more.

I stayed here for 6 nights with my mother for her first trip to Tokyo and she has nothing bad to say about the place. Although it could be quite noisy at night and early in the morning due to the thin nature of the room walls, it wasn't that bad. There are enough bathrooms and toilets on every floor that we didn't ever have to queue. The pantry is well-equipped and very cosy too.

We did have trouble finding the hotel but when I called to ask for direction, one of the staff was kind enough to actually come out and pick us up. He even helped with our luggages. One of the best part of this ryokan is the friendliness of the staff.

Not only does the place within walking distances from the Ikebukuro main station, the airport limousine to and from Haneda airport is just nearby. So it was very convenient for us.

All in all, I highly recommend this place for those who are travelling to Tokyo. Even if you are not on budget I think this place is worth a try.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family