“Good location and value for money”

Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 1
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is my first choice everytime I am in Tokyo. My last stay was three years back and I m here again this week. Great location....close to the Ikebukuro subway north exit, lots of food outlets around, good places to shop in the vicinity, easy access to other parts of Tokyo. Room is basic but comfortable (this time round, there was this Eco plan where you may choose to have certain days of your stay without any cleaning done and the room rate will be reduced by 300yen). Toilet is a bit small but everything else works well. I don't mind the same breakfast every morning since I enjoy the rice rolls. And there is free wifi in the room (I used to have to use the hotel computer at the lobby). Rates are very reasonable and have not increased over the year; plus I am a member of the toyoko club so I do enjoy lower rates certain days of the week.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Small rooms, but friendly staff, location is convenient, close to the Ikebukuro Station, and lots of dining and pachinko possibilities in the area too. They provide japanese breakfast which was not too much to our taste but helps to start the day.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Supasaiyajin
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I just spent 7 nights in this hotel in both (economy double and twin sharing rooms).
Although the room is small, the size of the bed is a standard queen. The rooms are cosy, very well organized and clean. I don't feel any bit of clampness as claimed !
(2 adult and a child)

The free breakfast is simple but sufficient to start your day of visit to various places of interest.

BTW, I am not allow to join the Toyoko Inn members as claimed by other travellers. Thus, no further discounts are given.

There are lots of shopping places and eateries around.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rcyc11
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I've stayed at this location many times during the past year but haven't posted a review until now so it's long overdue.

First the pros:

- great location - 5-10 min walk to Ikebukuro Train/Metro Station
- lots of shopping/restaurants nearby (my favorite place is Tobu Dept Store)
- reasonable prices especially considering this is Tokyo!
- very clean rooms with everything you need including: coin washer/dryer. free wifi, PCs in the lobby, free breakfast, kettle, safe, AC, toothbrush, comb, shower gel and shampoo
- friendly staff
- join the Toyoko Inn club - so far, I've received 2 free stays (1 free after 10 nights) and it also allows you to check in 1 hour earlier (3pm instead of 4pm) with various discounts
- vending machines are available in the lobby

Cons:

- staff speak limited English but so far, I've never had a problem communicating
- rooms are small but this is standard for Tokyo. I've stayed in single, double and twin rooms on different occasions
- instructions for AC/heat is in Japanese so it can take awhile to figure out how to use it
- you must leave your hotel key between the hours of 10am-4pm to allow the cleaning staff access to your room, however if you require your room earlier, you can always request that at the front desk
- no room service or restaurants on the premises

I've also stayed at various Toyoko Inn properities across Japan and the set up is more or less the same. Some places charge more than others (i.e. urban areas vs. rural areas). But I can always depend on a pleasant stay, regardless of where I stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PiperToronto
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is the first time I travel solo to Tokyo, back in January 2012, for 9 days. I choose to stay in Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro north exit I because my friends who had been to Tokyo recommands Toyoko.

What I like about Toyoko is that the reception lady I met there is very nice and unfailingly helpful (too bad I did not catch her name). She really gives me a very good first impression of Tokyo. Also her English speaking is really at "working knowledge" level, which is above my expectation. Both her English and friendliness are above than other staffs I have encountered. To be fair, though, other staffs are also very nice in general. Toyoko itself offers really great value. It is very clean and tidy. I like their breakfast so much I, to be honest, have it 9 days straight. Maybe others would found other business hotels' complimentary breakfast better, but I enjoy Toyoko Inn's breakfast (includes different kinds of rice rolls, pickled vegetables, miso soup, some western style breads and buns, and coffee).

Bed is comfy but pillow isn't. However, in my case I get back to the inn so tired I sleep like I am dead everyday, so it isn't an issue to me.

Location-wise, about 5 minute walk from the JR Ikebukuro station is not too bad. Some may think that it is a little bit annoying to walk pass the little "red light" area along the Bunka Dori, but my personal experience is that just head straight and ignore the people calling you in Japanese, and you would be fine.

Otherwise, really no complain for my 9-night stay at Toyoko Inn. I like this hotel a lot.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed four nights, since the tour started there. The first room had no air condtioning. It was 33 degrees in the room and it took 45 minutes for the receptionist at the front desk (and three trips down there) to get them to come to the room. They discovered that it indeed, was not working. After 18++ hours of travelling, I was totally exhausted. Had to request another room, since they did not offer one.

Rooms are small, but everything that you need is there. Like the washer and dryer in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fencejumper
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here during feb 2011. Booked from a travel agent with a very attractive price for 6 nights in semi double. For 1st timer in Tokyo, i would recommend staying in hotel near the JR Yamanote Line station. This line is very convenient and you could probably go everywhere by using this train line.Besides JR line ,there's also Tokyo metro line at ikebukuro st. This hotel is located on the other side of ikebukuro which is less "happening". Walking distance from north exit is about 7-10minutes, beware of the stairs at north exit if you're carrying your luggage. It's quite taxing.

The hotel offers quite a lot of service eg, pc to online,printer, breakfast, coin laundry..etc. Staff could understand english and they are very friendly. Breakfast consist of rice balls, miso soup, breads, coffee and etc. Simple and good enough for us. You might need to share a table during peak hour in the morning. They have a 'rule' where you need to be out from you room from 10am-4pm in order for them to do cleaning. Do inform them if you want to stay in your room during the period of time.

Room was small but clean, we get used to the size of room very quickly. There're storage under the bed for your luggage. Amenities provided you could read from their website. Bed was hard, can't complaint with the price i got. Anyway it's value for money!

The next visit i chose another hotel due to the walking distance from station and the hard beds. In Tokyo, you have to seriously get a hotel nearer to the train station. Probably a train station exit with escalator or lift if you have a lot of luggage.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple