“Fantastic budget option”

Dormy Inn Express Asakusa
Ranked #25 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I generally stay in Toyoku Inns, which are always great. However for a little bit extra I tried the Dormy Inn on my last Japan trip. It was great too. As a bonus I had a view not only of the river but also Tokyo Sky Tree. The room is a standard business hotel room - comfortable, clean and quiet. The hotel has a rooftop sento (hot bath) as well.The breakfast is also great - try the Japanese style. Near train stations, the temple and loads of restaurants; I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Dormy Inn Express Asakusa

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I spent only 2 nights at Dormy Inn on my 7-day trip to Japan.
Dormy Inn wasn't disappointed me a bit.
I booked a room with Skytree view which I recommend to anyone so you will enjoy a great view of Sumida River and Skytree.

The location: convenient it's opposite from Matsuya shopping mall and Ginza line of Tokyo metro and Asakusa line. So you can easily go to other interesting places in Tokyo.

The Hotel: 10 floors - cozy business type hotel in Tokyo

The Room: I got room 606 on 6th floor. It has a great view. Room has balcony is a plus.
It is small but livable. I can smell something in the bathroom as others' mentioned on Tripadvisor. But it wasn't too terrible. They provide a bottle of greentea scent spray to refresh the room anyway. Bed was really good. However, it doesn't have coffee in room only greentea bags. Free coffee is available in a lobby 24/7 though. bathroom amenities are awesome by the way. They use Pola products.

Dining area: it's small. There are about 10-12 tables. But I love breakfast there. You can choose between western or japanese style. they call it semi-buffet because you will get meal-set as you order with small buffet line (salad, fruit, soup, waffle) It's not bad at all.
They even have complimentary ramen noodle every night at 9 or 9:30 until 11PM.

Facilities: this is the best part and it's also the reason why they call themselves Dormy Inn Hotel and Spa. on the 10th floor, there are an onsen-like or public bath and foot spa with massage services. You are in Tokyo - You have to try public bath. After a long walk in Tokyo each day, nothing better than dipping yourself in a hot tub [indoor and yess outdoor with Skytree and Asahi buidling view]. Sauna is also in the bath. It's so comfortable. Foot spa is small. It has 3 seats. But it's free anyway. They also offer free foot massage for 10mintues (I didn't try the massage).
Laundry is free of charge. they even have detergent for free. However, it costs you to use drying machine.
Vending machine is 0n this floor as well. It has beer and other kind of drinks.

All in all, I would stay at Dormy Inn again if I need a place to stay in Asakusa. All staffs in the hotel were great. You won't disappoint choosing this hotel.
Just don't forget to ask for a higher floor if possible...you'll enjoy a better view.
And read the instruction sheet which is given to you when you check-in.
All details you need to know are in there. :)

Room Tip: 606 is nice but the higher floor, the better!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank JayTC
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We had booked a river view room in this hotel - and we got a room on the riverside however as we were on the second floor all we could see were the trees behind the hotel. The rooms (and bathrooms) were very small even on a Japanese scale.

That being said the rooms were clean - had a little kitchen sink and the hotel had a coin laundry on the 10th floor.

The staff were helpful and breakfast was nice and very good value just navigating the very small restaurant can be a problem.

The hotel is very convenient for the Tobu Station if you are heading to Nikko on the train.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above level 3 if you have paid the extra for a river view room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Pro: A middle thing between a Ryokan and a Hotel. Very Japanese (if you are afraid to try a Ryokan but you still want to experience a Japanese style hotel, this is the perfect solution and it is indeed also cheap).

Japanese or western style breakfast is included alongside a noodle soup in the evening. On the roof there is also a small onsen and a free
washing machine (dryer needs payment), and obviously a vending machine for drinks.

The room is furbished with all the necessary (Jinbei included) and we were lucky to have one with view over the river and the new Tokyo Skyneedle.

Staff was very friendly.

Contra: Very close to the metro station but not to a JR station. Wifi in the lobby didn’t work very well, but cable internet in the room did.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Good:Near to rail station, restaurant and Asakusa sightseeing spots.

I stayed for one night and realized there's alot they offered, like free coffee, night udon supper, air purifier in the room and even Shiseido Tsubaki Shampoo.

I had high expectation on it due to the accommodation rate and it didn't fail me. I would stay there again if I have loose on budget.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kimuraa20
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I just returned from an 8 night stay at the Dormy Inn Asakusa. We were on the 6th floor with a view of the river and the new Tokyo Skytree. The Skytree is particularly beautiful at night when it's lit with various colors. The hotel staff were all very friendly and extremely courteous--but that's what you can usually expect in Japan. Their English was decent enough though I tried using my Japanese as often as possible. Breakfast is amazing. You have a choice of a western and Japanese style breakfast. I recommend the Japanese style which consisted of rice, soup, fish, pickled vegetables, and 3 other side dishes. Quite filling. But that's not all--there is also a buffet that had cereal, a side dish, fruit, natto (fermented soy beans), and yogurt. Coffee, juice, tea and milk are also available. So we got a good start to our day of touring and sightseeing. The location is excellent. It's across from the Matsuya Department store that has an amazing basement food court, about 5 minutes from Sensoji Temple, 2 minutes from the Ginza Line station, 3 minutes from the Asakusa Line, and there are also other trains in the Matsuya Dept. store. If you aren't familiar with Asakusa, it's a wonderful place to stay--lots of restaurants, culture, and shopping. To get to the hotel from the Narita airport we took the Keisei Sky Access express for 1240 yen. We didn't have to transfer. But be aware that the direct train isn't always available and you may have to transfer at Aoto. At Narita there is a Keisei ticket counter that will be able to tell you what's available. You can also take the Skyliner or Narita Express to Ueno and transfer to the Ginza line, but it's much more expensive. The hotel room is small, but many in Japan are like that unless you pay more. For 2 people it's a bit crowded, but we got used to it. The bathroom included a shower though it could use some updating--the shower is actually a hose connected to the faucet which was a bit awkward. There is also a sauna/spa up on the 10th floor. A free washing machine and dryer at 100 yen for 30 minutes is on the same floor. Internet is available via ethernet, and there is a LAN cable provided in the drawer. Our room was clean and toothbrushes, toothpaste, comb and shaver was provided. The hotel corridors/hallways could use some remodeling as it looks a bit drab. There is also a computer in the lobby with internet access though I did have a problem printing my boarding pass. The browser is in Japanese and I couldn't get it to print correctly so I just did it at the airport. I think for the price it's quite good especially because of the location, free breakfast, free noodles in the evening (starting around 9:30pm), and the courteous staff. To go to the airport we went to the Asakusa line station and took a direct express for 1240 yen. All in all it was a very pleasant stay. There were some similar hotels in Asakusa that I considered--Blue Wave Inn and Chisun Inn, but I selected the Dormy Inn because of its location.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view so that you can see the Tokyo Skytree.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Basquiatlim
Reviewed 3 July 2012

we stayed 5 nights in june ,riverside room. Nice and quiet, 4th floor. good views.
The room was small by western standards, but clean and well set up. The room had all the usual amentities plus slipon slippers. The bathroom was small and if you are tall you may have a problem with shower over bath. We just co-ordinated everything before we entered. What we loved was 5pm and heading up to 10th floor for the hot water foot spa after a hard day out plus free shoulder massage. Breakfast was interesting! Japanese and western, tried both prefered the japanese.
all the staff are friendly and helpful pretty good english as well. I would stay here again as the location is so good. we walked or used subway everywhere. Asakusa is one of the best areas to stay in, shows the old japan as well as the new being so close. Wifi in lobby and restaurant, we also found if we sat outside on river bank we could pick it up, good bonus.

Room Tip: riverside is better view and quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends