“Great little hotel”

Ranked #25 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
London, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Dormy Inn in Asakusa and I would recommend it as a good base for exploring Tokyo.

It’s on a direct train line from Narita Airport, which is great but be warned, there are a lot of stairs to carry big suitcases up & down (there is a lift but it’s not easy to find). If you leave the metro station from exit 5, the Dormy Inn is a couple of hundred yards on the right. The other side of the hotel overlooks the river which makes for a very pleasant walk and the temple area is within easy walking distance.

Our room (double) was on the station view side and had a tiny balcony – n fact the whole room was pretty small but I was expecting that in Tokyo. The bed itself was very comfortable but we had to ask for extra pillows, there was a tv, mini fridge and kettle, plus a little “kitchen” area. The bathroom had a smallish, deep bath and a wonderful Western toilet with a heated seat! The water was plentiful and very hot. There is a cable for the internet but no wi-fi in the room, only in the hotel lobby.

There is a spa/bath area on the tenth floor, but we didn’t use it so I can’t offer any opinion but it seemed popular.

Breakfast was included and there was a choice of Japanese or Western – we chose Western but it was somewhat surprising (noodles were also offered in the evening but we didn’t have a chance to try them).

All the staff were very polite and even though they didn’t speak much English, always helpful.

My main dislike would be that there was no bedside light at all, so I couldn’t read in bed, but apart from that it was very good.

I would recommend the Skytree view rooms if possible, as they looked bigger.

Room Tip: Choose a Skytree view room if you can!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nemish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Gabriel, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. Free Wifi, Free onsen and also a foot onsen at the 10th floor. The view from the foot onsen was great and it was very relaxing to just sit there.

The room was small and the restroom smelled a bit like a porta potty but it wasn't too unbearable. The second floor view was great since it was just sakura and sky tree view.

There was also free ramen and free coffee in the lobby. A department store across the street and about 3 min walk from a station.

They also have free washer but the dryer cost money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jbh2kplus
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Our family stayed here in a Japanese style room on futons on tatami. Great view of Sumida River, cherry blossoms, river walk, and the beer building across the river! Nice big bath house at top. Lots of Russian, Japanese, and French spoken here when we stayed. Rail lines, temples, shops, and ramen eateries nearby. Loved it. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: River view Japanese style rooms were nice! Nice clean bath house at top. Great views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CruiseDirectorAmy
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Dormy Inn - it was comfortable, if not a bit small, but you had room for everything. The bed was comfortable, the shower provided lovely soft water, and the heated toilet seat was amazing. We were on the 6th floor with a balcony and a view of the Skytree which was great. The room also had a small kitchenette with a fridge, which was handy for keeping a few snacks/drinks. The room didn't have wifi but cabled internet which we brought a small laptop for which worked fine.

The location is pretty good if you'd like somewhere a bit quieter - you can take the Ginza line straight to Shibuya in 30 minutes which is quite handy and there are a number of other connections you can make. It's also convenient for the airport (Narita) - if you time it right, you can take a direct train for only 1240 yen. It is close to Sensoji Temple, Ueno Park, Kappabashi Street and there are many restaurants, convenience stores, and karaoke nearby!

The hotel also provides quite a few extras - a few that we took advantage of. First of all, a great breakfast - western or Japanese, which you can choose from each day, and a small buffet in addition as well as juices, coffee, tea, etc. There is also coffee in the lobby any time you want it, free ramen between 9.30-11.00 and a free foot spa on the top floor.

The staff were friendly and helpful - we arrived early but they let us keep our bags there until it was time to check in.

Overall, I think this hotel is really good value, clean, comfortable, friendly and quite a decent location in Tokyo. It provides everything you need to go out exploring each day and come back to a warm place to sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 17 February 2013

For the price, we were happy with our room. We paid more for a high-floor combined Japanese & Western room and that meant we had two large Western beds plus floor space of several tatami mats. The bathroom was a small pod type, tight but adequate and as expected.
Even booked through a discount site, the price was a little high, but that seems to be common in Japan - lower priced Western rooms with decent location, space and amenities are tough to find. Certainly more expensive than most cities.
The Dormy Inn has some nice touches - a lovely free outdoor foot spa for guests, a laundry room and free ramen available at certain hours of the evening, though we didn't try it.
One note: the included breakfast was the worst food we encountered anywhere in Japan, indeed the only poor food we experienced at all. We quickly learned to have coffee and juice (since it was included), skip the rest and eat elsewhere.
Location in Asakusa is reasonably good and it's close to the station. That said, we didn't find eating options in the area as good as we'd hoped/ as easy as other parts of town.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
KL,M'sia
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I was told that the success of Disney lies in its innate ability to pay attention to even the minutest details to create an experience unlike other. I had least expected a budget hotel to be equivalent BUT, I experienced that in Dormy Inn Asakusa. After a long walk from the station due to coming out from the wrong exit, I was totally exhausted when I reached the hotel. I was greeted with a warm smile and a room upgrade that I had not even requested for. Upon entering room 407, I was greeted by the majestic Tokyo Sky Tree. I was also informed that free noodles await all guests on a first come first served basis every night. The room was immaculately clean and well spaced. The tiny bathroom had a hanger for lingerie which is a small detail appreciated but often missed even by 5 star hotels. In the elevators of Dormy Inn, there was also an elevator chair … again, something that is most welcomed by tired guests but not often available. Another rarity is the water used. Dormy Inn Asakusa actually has an onsen but as it is shared between both genders, there is specific time for usage. No worries though, because, if you’ve missed the time for your gender to use the onsen or is a bit too shy for the “bare-all” onsen, the ultra soft water available in all rooms works wonders as well. Dormy inn Asakusa also provides a very sumptuous breakfast and guests have a choice of either Japanese or Western. The staffs were very helpful and friendly. During the last day of my stay, I checked out of the hotel early in the morning but left my luggage at the hotel to ease my sightseeing around the area. I asked if I could still use the onsen when I come back for my luggage and the answer was “of course”. When I came back, the reception had a basket of clean towels ready for me. All in all, Dormy Inn Asakusa exceeded my expectations in every way possible. For an unforgettable experience at a more than fair price in a superbly convenient location, I would not hesitate to recommend Dormy Inn Asakusa. I would definitely stay at this hotel again during my return trip to Tokyo.

Room Tip: There are many exists at the station. The exit leading to Sensoji temple has an elevator and is wit...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We just needed an overnight stay between trains, and this hotel was convenient and good value. The usual small Japanese room and tiny module bathroom, but it was clean and adequate. It was a little harder to find than we expected but this was our fault as we mixed up which railway station it was close to and got the Keisei train from Narita. A lovely breakfast was included in our room deal which was a bonus.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends