“Close proximity to Trains and Food”
Review of Hotel New Tohoku

Hotel New Tohoku
Ranked #88 of 123 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Located in a quiet place, no heater, only a A/C with heating option, no heater in the bathroom, no restaurant ( under renovation I was told ), one coin operated washing machine and a drier located in the dining room ( dining room under renovation ), close proximity to Ueno Metro, Ueno JR line and Ueno Sky Train to Narita Airport, spring bed and rooms are kept clean

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 October 2012

The hotel was 1.5 block from the main road in front of the JR Ueno Station. It was closest to Tokyo Metro's Hibiya line's Ueno exit. We had the twin room (two twin beds). It was surprising large by Japanese standard. Although the bedding seemed old, the room and the bathroom were clean and comfortable. The AC was somewhat noisy, like the kind found in American 3 star hotels. The owners were helpful and friendly. The Japanese breakfast was very good value and tasty though separate payment and reservation the night before were required. There was a hot water pot in the room that you could use to make tea. The hotel provided washer and dryer facillity at a small fee but you do have to walk through the kitchen to access the laundry facility.

Room Tip: room with two twin beds seems to be the largest.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2012

If you go in Tokyo and you want to stay on a small, but friendly and quite hote, do not miss this hotel! Hotel is very close to Ueno station, so it's perfect for reaching subway, JR station, skyline to Narita airport and so on.
Owner and personnel of hotel are so warm and so kind that they make you feel like at home. They give you also a lot of information about the city and they speak english (not so common on japanese hotels..) Hotel is quite small, but very clean (as all japanese hotels) and very nice. You can have also bike for free, wireless connection, coffee in the morning.
Laundry is also avaible and japanese breakfast if you want (very cheap too).
I really suggest this hotel to everybody want to go in town

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Budd G
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Hotel New Tohoku is in a great location, just a 5 minute walk east from Ueno Station on the JR Yamanote loop line. Cross over the pedestrian bridge into the street between Jyoyo Bank and Nihon Seimei Bldg. Proceed several streets east. New Tohoku is on the quiet side street with the Sanyo Bldg at the corner. As an added plus the hotel is near the historic Asakusa quarter.

Room was small by western standards, but completely adequate. Staff were charming and helpful. Coffee was available in the lobby in the morning, with free internet access both early morning and evenings. There's a Japanese fast food cafe just north of the hotel for those wanting a breakfast nearby. For anyone who has paid an extravagant price for hotel laundry service, this hotel offers a low cost alternative - a self serve washer and dryer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2012

lots of bad reviews for this place site small rooms and poor service. I try to approach hotels from the perspective of value, how much did I pay and did I get my moneys worth. This hotel is hard to find, but I came across that a lot in my stay in Japan. The hotel is in a great location. Within walking distance of Ueno park and train station. Its in a quite neighborhood, but there are plenty of places to eat, and Lawson convenience stores around to get snacks.The rooms are clean, the internet is fast, the water was always hot and the bed was comfortable. There was even a small fridge in my room to keep snacks (read:beer). Are the rooms large and luxurious? No, its a budget hotel in Tokyo. You get what you pay for.

I will say this, its not the best place to go if your Japanese isnt that good and you rely heavily on the staff to help with making arrangements or ....anything really.

Example one: The second morning of my stay I woke up too late for breakfast. I know Im late, but I ask the owner (head lady) thinking that she will say "your late but there is a little left, help yourself" (I can see that there is food left). She gives me the most pained look possible and says "I'm sorry your too late". The next morning I wake up early and ask if I have missed breakfast (I know I haven"t), she gives me another pained look and says "so sorry you must book breakfast the night before. The next day, determined to get breakfast I plan to book breakfast the night before but there was some kind of festival and after celebrating all day, whoever was at the front desk couldn't find my room key, let alone take my reservation for breakfast. I never had breakfast.

Example 2: I really wanted to see Sumo. After trying online, the Amex concierge service with no luck, I asked the head lady if she could help me get tickets. Her response with a blank stare was "I've never been to Sumo". We blink at each other. I go back to my room search the internet. Later she tells me that her son checked online and the only tickets left are 45,000 yen. "Very, very expensive" she says over and over again. I explain to her that this is my first vacation in 2 years, and I will pay the 45,000yen. Pained look on her face. She takes the the the Lawsons to try and by tickes. After frowning and squinting at the machine for a few min. she gives up, "Sorry!". The next day I find directions to the Sumo arena and get tickets for 9,000yen. The venue was at a little over half full.

Pro's: Location, good rooms, free break fast :), coin washer and dryer on location.

Con's: curfew, staff smiles a lot but not always the most helpful bunch.

I gave it good rating because I think its a good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank maltlinux2
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Extremely friendly staff, comfortable and quiet rooms including shower & toilet albeit very small. All rooms with twin beds. Couldn't get the wifi working but no issues when connected directly to the router in the hallway. Lockout between 01:00 and 05:00

Room Tip: There are rooms with walls between the twin beds for "a little extra privacy"
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The hotel room had bad smell which make us uncortable.The staff provide very bad service.When we request utensil,the staff gives us hard feeling.They are still using the traditional room key which need to hand it to the front desk when you go out.The check out time is too early for travellers with leisure purpose.I will never visit it again,I promise.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends