“Enjoyable Old World Experience”

Komagata Dozeu Asakusa
Ranked #6 of 4,251 Restaurants in Taito
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First of all, I should say that I'm Garlicmike's buddy referred to in his review.

I think I would echo his sentiments. The food was quite good and enjoyable, although for me there were other Japanese dishes I enjoyed more while we were in Tokyo from a flavor perspective. The whole experience, however, was well worth the visit and the price. We both had the 4350 yen multicourse dinner. This consisted of different presentations of the dozeu eels, along with a couple types of skewers appetizers, soup, rice, pickles. With a couple orders of sake, it set us back about 10,700 yen including tax. I was a little afraid I would still be hungry, but there was plenty of food. One could certainly go less expensive ala carte if they wished. The English menu was fairly understandable.

The servers were young women in kimonos. They were completely unintrusive, yet very responsive. Our young lady explained the procedure of the brazier and the seasonings at the beginning of the meal. Otherwise, apart from bringing the courses, the servers stood at the edge of the room, but came over instantly if you made eye contact.

We were there on a Friday evening around 7 PM, and there was no wait. I would say that the dining room was about 1/3 occupied. It picked up a bit as we were there, but was never full. Almost all the diners were locals. I think there was one other western couple there. The norm was sitting on a small cushion on the floor, leaving your shoes at the door. I did notice a couple tables with bench like stools near the entrance. I presume these were available for those unable or unwilling to sit on the floor.

We didn't try any other traditional Japanese restaurants, so I have no basis for comparison, but I am very glad to have been able to experience this one.

1  Thank dbailly10
There are newer reviews for Komagata Dozeu Asakusa

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Frankly, our wives didn't like Japanese cuisine at all. My buddy and I decided on a guy's night out and choose to dine here because of the "old Japanese" descriptions we found here on Tripadvisor. If you want to experience the "real deal", try this place. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

You sit on cushions on the floor, indulge in various yummy eel dishes. These are delicate, deliciously prepared morsels, not what you would imagine when you conjure up images of eels. On meal is prepared and you heat it yourself at the dining space on a charcoal fire. Unique.

When I travel, I want to experience new things in new cultural environments. This fit the bill perfectly for us. Don't miss this.

Oh, and it's easy enough to find, it's right there on the main street, but don't expect any English signage, and BE AWARE, it doesn't look like a restaurant really from the outside, you get in through a privacy awning and a sliding wooden door with no glass. You will miss it if you don't realize this. Take a photo from Tripadvisor of the outside of the restaurant, it will help a lot.

2  Thank garlicmike
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We loved Taito because of its ancient and traditional remaining. And eating at an old and traditional restaurant like Komagata Dozeu was unmissable while in Tokyo.
We loved the servers dressing in Kimono and local food.
We took a risk in ordering eels set and Dojo, which were well-known dishes here.
Neither my boyfriend nor I could eat eels!
And...beyon my imagination, it was totally perfect.
Of course, great price.
Wonderful value for all.

2  Thank Cindy O
Reviewed 9 August 2013

One of my husband's Japanese co-worker's took us for lunch here. It was great to experience such an old and traditional place to eat. I loved sitting on the floor in a communal eating space. The restaurant is famous for a small eel-like fish called Dojo, and while I'm not a terribly adventurous eater, it was an experience to try. We got the dojo served in a soup, as well as as with egg & green onions. It was good, but a lot of food.
It was a lot of fun to eat at such an old, and established place. Definitely not something we would have found on our own.

2  Thank CadetBat
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Great and very special experience eating in a very old Japanese restruante . From the atmosphere to the servers dress , to traditional food ( we had baby eels) to outstanding service . And at a great price .

This s a must do if in Tokyo.

3  Thank Mike T

Been to Komagata Dozeu Asakusa? Share your experiences!