“The only place to go in Tokyo for tempura”
Review of Daikokuya Tempura

Daikokuya Tempura
Ranked #59 of 4,501 Restaurants in Taito
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were lucky to arrive at Daikokuya just when it was opening at 11.00 hrs. It filled up quickly, but we got a table right away.

This is the place in Tokyo to have superior quality tempura. The menu was small, with, of course, only tempura dishes. We ordered a mixed tempura set while some of us had tempura-don (rice topped with tempura). I must say the tempura here was different than what I am used to in that the batter was softer and not crispy. For me, the winner was the subtle sauce in the rice bowl (not the dipping sauce). I thought it was just the right amount of sweetness and greatly enhanced the flavor of the rice bowls.

This looked like a small establishment at first, but the inner part of Daikokuya had private rooms and more tables. The place did brisk business while we ate, with a constant stream of customers young and old. I did not notice foreign tourists there, so maybe it is not that well-known yet among them. This was a blessing, then, for we wanted something truly authentic for our first meal in Tokyo.

Daikokuya will not disappoint any tempura lover. The English menu will help to make a meal here an easy, delicious affair. Service was good for a busy place. Once the first dish came after about 15 minutes, everything else rolled out timely.

2  Thank Chattan_k

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Went here after reading the previous reviews. We arrived at noon and was seated by 12:30. We ordered the tendon (four tempura shrimp with rice) and a separate tempura of three shrimp and one fish. The tendon is different from the traditional kind of tempura as there was sauce on top and in the rice - very tasty! The other tempura was more traditional and equally good. We also got a hot sake that went very well with the meal. Definitely a good place to go if you're visiting the Sensoji temple!

1  Thank sfansfan
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We went to this place because it was on the TripAdvisor app in the "Asakusa Walking Tour." The best thing about this was that we actually found it! If you've been to Japan and don't speak/read Japanese, you know how incredibly hard it can be to find an exact restaurant. The line is pretty long, so expect a wait. The other reviews are right when they say the tempura is a different kind of tempura. But whatever kind it is, its only so-so. Its not worth waiting in line for. So, if you're on the walking tour and having ANY trouble finding this place, just skip it and eat somewhere else.

1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We had read about Daikokuya and so tried it when we went to Asakusa. Even at 2:30 in the afternoon, there was a line outside. They serve only tempura, but different kids. I ordered the tempura rice bowl of 1 ebi, 1 mixed, and 1 fish (1500 Y), while my husband ordered the rice bowl of 2 ebi and 1 mixed (1700 Y).

Servings are big, service fast, and price is not that expensive anymore compared to other tempura restaurants.

The tempura tastes good, but not exactly something I would go to again and again. It's worth a try for the unique take on this favorite Japanese dish. Their tempura batter seems to be flavored with soy sauce, so it's a bit salty and a little wet, not crisp. We still finished our bowls clean!

Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

Daikokuya has been famous for its tempura don. I found the reviews over-rated. This is definitely not the best tempura around, i tried a much better one in Kyoto (see one of my earlier review). However, I had to mention that the one in Kyoto costed an arm and leg more than Daikokuya. Overall, Daikokuya serves decent tempura with a reasonable price tag.