“try this, if you like tempura”
Review of Daikokuya Tempura

Daikokuya Tempura
Ranked #57 of 4,197 Restaurants in Taito
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Neighbourhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Bangkok, Thailand
“try this, if you like tempura”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

first of all, location in trip-advisor is not right. the restaurant locate a small street near by.

i was there with my family and friends, and we ordered tendon set which is shrimp tempura and vegetable fried on a bowl rice. it was nice but a bit sauce on rice.

it cost 1500-1900 jpy per dish and beer cost 550 jpy.
english menu is available, and some staffs can speak english

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alistitle

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“OK but soggy tenpura :(”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Our personal tour guide brought us here for lunch before visiting the Sensoji Buddhist Temple, which is right next to the restaurant.

For a huge restaurant (two storeys) that specializes in tempura, food was a little disappointing. Menu was extensive and service was really good. Unfortunately, the food did not deliver.

My BF ordered a tenpura don, it arrived with a lid over the bowl. Sauce went really well with the tempura and over...but it was really soggy ...maybe it was because of the steam caused by the lid over the bowl.

I had the tenpura set. Even though there is no lid, they were a little soggy as well (see picture). Im guessing they were not cooked to order.

I am sure there are better restaurants around Asakusa....would not recommend it. [Too many good restaurants in Tokyo!]

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank gsung
Burnaby, Canada
“Decent Tempura, but lots of better places”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had lunch here and I ordered the shrimp tendon, which is four large shrimp on rice for about $20 USD. My wife ordered the tempura set which came with a few pieces of tempura, miso soup, rice and an appetizer for about the same amount.

I found the tempura shrimp to have a decent flavor, but soggy. I prefer my tempura crispy over soggy. I found it also a bit pricey for 4 pieces of shrimp on rice. I tried my wife's meal, the miso soup and appetizer was fine, but not outstanding. The fish tempura I tried was good but not great.

There was nothing really wrong with the meal, but nothing that great either. If you feel like tempura and are in the area I would come for a visit, as it is easy to find. I wouldn't line up for this nor make a special trip for it.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank aregma
Bangkok
“The only place to go in Tokyo for tempura”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were lucky to arrive at Daikokuya just when it was opening at 11.00 hrs. It filled up quickly, but we got a table right away.

This is the place in Tokyo to have superior quality tempura. The menu was small, with, of course, only tempura dishes. We ordered a mixed tempura set while some of us had tempura-don (rice topped with tempura). I must say the tempura here was different than what I am used to in that the batter was softer and not crispy. For me, the winner was the subtle sauce in the rice bowl (not the dipping sauce). I thought it was just the right amount of sweetness and greatly enhanced the flavor of the rice bowls.

This looked like a small establishment at first, but the inner part of Daikokuya had private rooms and more tables. The place did brisk business while we ate, with a constant stream of customers young and old. I did not notice foreign tourists there, so maybe it is not that well-known yet among them. This was a blessing, then, for we wanted something truly authentic for our first meal in Tokyo.

Daikokuya will not disappoint any tempura lover. The English menu will help to make a meal here an easy, delicious affair. Service was good for a busy place. Once the first dish came after about 15 minutes, everything else rolled out timely.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Chattan_k
“Yummy!”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Went here after reading the previous reviews. We arrived at noon and was seated by 12:30. We ordered the tendon (four tempura shrimp with rice) and a separate tempura of three shrimp and one fish. The tendon is different from the traditional kind of tempura as there was sauce on top and in the rice - very tasty! The other tempura was more traditional and equally good. We also got a hot sake that went very well with the meal. Definitely a good place to go if you're visiting the Sensoji temple!

1 Thank sfansfan