Hotel Coco Grand Ueno Shinobazu
US$124
US$145
US$90
  • Bar/Lounge
Via Inn Asakusa(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$58
JAPANiCAN.com
My Stays Asakusabashi(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$49
Rakuten Travel
US$97
US$83
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmassage chairueno parkfoot massagerpublic bathlotus pondnarita airportrooms are smallrooms facewestern dishessweet shopprice relationsuperior king roomred light districtsideally located justmajor train stationsgreat locationnightlife district
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We chose this hotel for the location having visited Japan a number of times before.
I always forget how small Japanese rooms are until I'm in one, but while the bathroom was super small and there wasn't any room for the bags I would stay here again.
Everything was always clean and we were well looked after. The price was fantastic for what you get and the view was a great added extra.

Great Ramen places around and anyone looking for a funny night out go and have dinner at The Lockup. Hilarious

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here in May 2014.
Things we love about this hotel --
1) Great location: Close to metro and JR station. Close proximity to all shops, restaurants, department stores, and Ueno Park, yet its tucked inside a smaller street away from traffic noises. The rooms facing Ueno Park has great view waking up to in the morning -- feels like stayat Trump Tower at NYC Central Park South!
2) Great service/amenities: Hotel has a bathhouse.. small but fully stocked with all the good upscale amenities. Upon check-in, we were also each given an amenity pack for use in the bathhoues. Staffs were helpful and speaks multiple languages (Mandarine and English). The full body massage chair in the bathouse is a must try. Inside the rooms, bed & pillow were very comfortable -- unlike some of the hotel bads in Asia where it can be very stiff compares to Western hotels. The rooms were stocked with items such as multi-functional electronic chargers, head/shoulder massagers, feet massager, air purifier unit, free wifi, etc.
3) Breakfast: Superb variety of Japanese and western selections.

What we don't like about the hotel -- not much. Other than that the rooms are small, but this is the case for all Tokyo hotels anyway.

Overall, we had a great experience. Our only regret is that we only stayed 1 night at this hotel! I would definitely book this hotel for my next Tokyo trip and would recommand to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ang T
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We recently stayed 6 night at this hotel. We decided to upgrade to a superior room and found it roomy enough with a comfortably sized bathroom with a tub and separate sink. We had a small closet and a massage chair in the room. Our traveling companions had chosen a standard room which was very small as noted in the other reviews.

I was very impressed by the helpfulness of the desk staff. One of our party has mobility issues, and one young man at the desk printed us diagrams of several metro stations that we wanted to use, highlighting the elevator locations and entrances. They also assisted us in calling restaurants, etc.

The rooms included many amenities, including a large array of bath products including a delightful body wash, clean pajamas every day for use in the room or to go to the bathhouse, slippers, a bowl of Japanese hard candies, etc.

I used the bathhouse on the second floor a couple times, and it was very relaxing.

I enjoyed the included breakfast very much. There was a variety as noted in many reviews, including a nice salad bar section. I especially enjoyed the Chinese style thin rice porridge (jook) which I had first encountered in China. There was also a case with desserts from the pastry shop next to the lobby.

There is an area on the second floor with a coin operated washer/dryer, free ice, and a vending machine with soft drinks, coffee drinks, and beer among other things. There is a coffee machine with free coffee or tea in the lobby.

The housekeeping was impeccable.

The only annoying aspect was the Wifi. I worked well when connected, but I found that from our room on the fourth floor, the ability to connect with either an Android phone or an iPad was hit or miss despite a strong signal strength indicator. I was always able to connect easily in the lobby.

I enjoyed the area a lot as well. We were an easy walk from the Ueno train station, three metro stops, the Ueno Park with many museums, shrines and monuments. A large variety of restaurant options and well as convenience stores are within a five minute walk. As noted elsewhere, there is an element of sex trade in the area. I was approached a couple times when I was out in the evening by myself, but but it was never threatening. We were never approached if we were out as a couple or group.

Overall, I was very pleased with our hotel choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

nice included breakfast. separated public bath with free massage chairs, and stone sauna room as while. close to metro and ueno JR station and keisai direct line (71min, 1300Y)and skyliner narita airport. staff speaking reasonable good english. very considering front desk staff, prepared small face towels during rainning day, and help checking in customers wiping off rain water on their suitcase never seen any hotel staff so caring.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We happened up this hotel on Tripadvisor and chose it because it seemed to be in a nice location and we liked the fact that they served breakfast and had a spa (traditional Japanese "bathhouse"), both included in a reasonable price. We spent six wonderful nights here. We LOVED our stay!

Yes, the rooms are very very small, but we got organized and that didn't get in the way. If you're spending vacation time in Tokyo and are using your room for much more than sleeping, you're missing out.

The views of Ueno Park and the pond were outstanding, the bed was very comfortable, and the amenities were great. It was clean, meticulously so, as you would expect in Japan.

The location was perfect, walking distance to a Times Square atmosphere and a fabulous park with museums, temples and shrines. Ueno is arguably the best neighborhood in Tokyo in my opinion. There were three subway stops within easy walking distance of this hotel as well as a major train station.

The breakfast was superb and had a wonderful variety of Japanese and continental selections that changed daily. This alone made our stay into a great value.

Our bathroom was indeed tiny but included a heated seat with a bidet, a very nice added feature. I personally chose to use the public bath (separated male/female spa areas) every morning, using the provided slippers and pajamas. This was extra cool, very pleasant. Be aware though that there is a way to do this. Japanese don't go in a public bath until they have thoroughly washed and wearing clothing in the bath is not an option. There are websites out there about bathhouse etiquette. Don't miss this feature, it was quite superb, relaxing, and very upscale. I think spa best describes it. Bathhouse conjures up seedy notions perhaps and this was anything but seedy.

Also try out the massage chair in the spa. What a way to start the day.

Can you tell? We absolutely loved this place. I felt very fortunate to have found it.

Room Tip: There are larger rooms available at a higher price, but it's the amenities, location, service and comfort that make this place so special.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple