“great place to stay for minami-senju area”
Review of Palace Japan

Palace Japan
Ranked #1 of 14 B&Bs / Inns in Taito
New York City, New York
“great place to stay for minami-senju area”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

actually, i found this place to be surprisingly a great place to stay.

for the price (6000 Yen/double), you get a decent place to stay (smallish area but hey, this is tokyo) with tvs for each bunk bed, a mini fridge, wi-fi (big plus in my book!), a great toto toilet (heated seat, toilet lid opens up when the door opens, etc), an elevator, laundry, 2 imacs for common-use and so on. also, the facilities feels new, which is fantastic. the shared facilities are the baths, toilet, kitchen, living room areas which are ok, and i like that from the living room and kitchen, you get to look out onto the street as well as get some sunlight and air in. so in terms of facilities provided, i would give it a grade "a".

staff-wise, i found them really friendly and helpful. was looking for some information regarding various places and things to do, and they helped check, call and ask around.

bed-wise, some people have mentioned that it's perhaps not the most comfortable sleep to be had, but i had no issue with it. the pillows are the japanese-kind and are firm and good to sleep with. but that's my own personal preference. one thing to note however, like many japanese hostels / budget places, it is true that the walls can be rather thin, so if you get a group staying on your floor and trying to wake up various people in the morning, you probably would wake up too. so for the sake of keeping peace, i probably would for example, keep my voice low at night as well as watch sports in the common room (we were following the japanese female volleyball team that was being shown "live").

location-wise, no big issue about safety and security. one building in particular probably is a bit seedy at night, but i had no problems or worries walking the area late at night. there's also a koban along the way from the train to palace japan. only thing is that it's in the eastern part of tokyo, so if you plan your activities mainly in the shibuya, shinjuku, etc area, i would recommend you stay around the western part so you can save on the commute. however, if your activities are around ueno, akihabara, ryogoku, akasuka, then this would be a good place to consider.

Room Tip: with an elevator, no big issues about the floors
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank simalem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Despite the name the format is definately more hostel than hotel - bathroom facillitites are shared, there is a communal kitchen and living room area, they have dorm rooms and bunk beds. However there are some features which you won't usually find in a hostel such as TVs and fridges in the rooms and an elevator, apple macs in the lobby. The Hotel Palace Japan is clean and quite modern throughout, however the beds are very hard with just a thin futon instead of the matress and the pillow is like a bean bag. They clean the bathrooms between 9-10am at which time (it was my understanding) they cannot be used and I found this inconvenient as it is the time most people will get up and want to shower. The other guests were a mixture of western backpackets, asian tour groups and businessmen travelling of a budget. Its less funky than other hostels and probably not the best place if you want to meet other travellers, but this is not an problem for me. If you don't speak Japan the English level of teh staff ranges from none to fluent. The reception staff are helpful and knowledgable.

The hotel is situation near Minami Senju station which is convenient for Ueno's museums and park, and for Akihabara, but if your main insterest in Tokyo, is the modern glitz and shops of Shibuya and Shinjuku you can expet to spend 1-2 hours on the train each day. I have spend a lot of time travelling in Japan over the year and Minami Senju is the most deprived area I have seen. Coming from the UK, drunks going to the toilet or fighting in the street, and beggars asking me for money is nothing new, but its is very uncommon in Japan and female travellers may find it intimidating.

The price I paid for this place was very cheap and aside from the uncomfortable beds, the hotel itself is nice and clean enough, but I probably wont stay there again due to the location

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank N C
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 8 April 2012

After my conference in Japan, I had a two-day extension and decided to switch hotels because the previous hotel was expensive.

I made a reservation via email in Palace Japan around a month before my stay and upon my arrival, I think they missed or lost my reservation. They had no more single rooms left so I was given a double room instead and paid 3300 yen per night. Would have liked a single room because the double deck bed made the room feel more cramped but it's pretty much okay because at least I had places to hang and dry my stuff (it was raining a lot when I went to Japan).

Very basic small room with a bed, two wall-mounted TV's (one for each occupant), a desk, a chair, a small ref and a small cabinet. I think it would have been much better if the chair just had a back rest. The pillow was also hard but I think it's because it's a Japanese pillow. It didn't affect my sleep though because I was always tired at the end of the day. There's also wi-fi so I can use my iPhone and load maps there (free wi-fi in Japan is really rare).

While the bathrooms and toilets are communal, I didn't have to line up or wait to use them. Although the toilet seats weren't heated, I guess you get what you pay for.

There's also a common kitchen and common area. There's always free coffee, water and tea. Distilled water is pretty expensive in Japan so I just bring my container and refill it at the hotel. There's also a small supermarket across the street (it's inconspicuous though) so you can buy something there and cook food at the hotel. Also, whenever I feel too cramped inside my room, I'd just go downstairs and surf the internet there.

Location-wise, I think it's really reasonable for its price. Just a few-minute walk from Minamisenju station (three stations away from the Yamanote Line via JR Joban Line). Convenient, in fairness. There's a footbridge that you have to cross but there's a ramp and an elevator so heavy luggage won't be a problem. Asakusa is very near, (two train lines away via Tokyo Metro). Harajuku and Shibuya goes a bit farther but it's also just two train lines away via Tokyo Metro.

Staff were also really friendly and they speak pretty good English.

Overall, it's very clean, pretty much comfortable and excellent for a budget traveler. They pretty much had everything I needed during my two-night stay (although that's coming from me who's used to budget travel). I will definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank moonlight_xing
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Palace Japan t is perfect place to stay if looking for afforable accomadations right next to public transport .
I was very happy with my time at the hotel: my room and the hotel were very clean and well maintained. I never had a problem with noise issues and people staying at the hotel were very courteous.
. There was a community kitchen and computers and free wi-fi.
I definately would stay again and would not hesistate recommending it to others.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank martina s
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Positives:

Friendly helpful staff
Free tea & coffee
Free Internet
Fairly close to Ueno Station (3 stations from Ueno).
Private rooms at a reasonable fee
Supermarket close by
Microwave and cooking facilities

Negatives:

Mattress is cheap, and springs can be clearly felt in the back
Some traffic noise from outside
Sensor lights in bathroom turn off too soon
Japanese style pillow is firm and may not suit Western tastes
Dryers have no lint filter

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ben H
Torrance, California
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Palace Japan is new and appears to have opened in January of this year. That said, I was very pleased by the condition of my room and the bathroom facilities.

I'm a solo traveler and stayed for five nights. The single room at the time was 3,300 yen which gets you a (by Western standards) a pretty small room. I'm not dinging the hotel at all for this, though: I am used to "backpacker's inn's" like Palace Japan or New Koyo. Palace Japan definitely feels brand new and it's got a lot going for it.

The lobby had two iMacs for internet access as well as a small kitchen area with hot water boilers for tea & coffee as well as a conference table to bring your food back and eat downstairs. There is a restroom in the lobby (again, super clean!) as well as laundry facilities if you need to wash/dry your clothes.

Upon check-in, I was given a bath towel as well as my room key (unlike other Japanese business hotels, you keep the key when you go out for the day and hang onto it until you check out of the hotel - I asked about this my first night, as I was so used to handing my key over to the front desk in previous hotels in Japan).

The single room was just fine for me. In addition to the bed with (bead) pillow and futon (on top of a mattress), there was a small table, stool, mini fridge (plug it in if you're using it) and a small television. Air conditioning and heating was also available in my room. There is a small closet where I was able to hold clothes and my backpack.

Wireless internet was available so I could use my netbook in my hotel room.

If you're a light sleeper, you might want to consider this small observation: there is a small ventilation "fan" or sorts (slightly larger than a cup coaster) that could not be closed in my room. Since I stayed here the first week of March, the weather was pretty cold outside. Of course, the heater kept the room nice and toasty. But my room was facing a street and I could hear the sound of cars driving by and so on in the evening and early in the morning due to this ventilation. I asked the staff if it could be closed, but all rooms are equipped with this (according to what they told me) in order for properly ventilation in each room. I was able to sleep but I did wake up a few times in the evenings due to the occasional cold breeze or car/truck driving by). I think this won't matter as much during the springtime or the summer. But during the winter it was a small gotcha :)

The bathroom area for floor features several shower rooms, many sinks as well as a men's bathroom with at least five toilets and urinals. All facilities were so clean and there is body wash/rinse/shampoo in each of the showers. Again, during the winter time the facilities can be cold. But the showers are nice and warm once they get going. On my floor, the hallway lights, bathroom lights/sinks are all sensor-activated (go green!). The showers require you to push a lever for a momentary run of water. So, when I took a shower, I found myself pushing this lever a lot. I don't mind this at all, however, and it's kind of nice knowing that the hotel isn't wasting resources.

The staff were incredibly helpful. Two spoke English (I would have gotten by with Japanese as well) and one elder talked to me in Japanese. Two nights before the end of my stay, I wanted to "ship" my luggage (a.k.a. "takuhaibin") to my next hotel. With enough lead time and with all my hotel information provided to them, they were able to arrange this and I was so thankful that they could. It's less than $20 to ship a medium sized suitcase, by the way. But this is priceless if you are visiting a bunch of places and don't want to drag luggage around from one place to another as you sightsee or travel far distances.

Palace Japan is located in Minami-senju, which can be accessed via the Tokyo Metro subway (Hibiya Line, connects to JR Ueno Station) or the JR Joban Line (which connects to Ueno and Nippori stations). It's about a 5-10 minute walk from either of the Minami-senju stations, which isn't very far at all. The directions are pretty straightforward from their own website.

This is my fourth trip to Japan and this is the second backpacker's inn I've stayed at (in addition to business hotels like the Toyoko Inn's). For a solo traveler on a budget, you'll get a room to sleep in and very good bathroom facilities. I'd highly recommend this hotel and I am definitely staying here again in the future. Again, bathroom facilities can be cold in the winter. Spring and summer should be great in this hotel more so.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
10 Thank WongJP
Ningbo, China
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Palace Japan is a new hotel with great facilities in a perfect condition. The rooms are clean and tidy, the staff are friendly and helpful (and incredibly multilingual including English, Chinese and Hebrew!) and... what's not the least important thing, is very affordable. I'd definitely recommend this place for all sorts of travellers!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mipiotr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Agora Place Asakusa
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
AI Hotel Nihonbashi
AI Hotel Nihonbashi
#1 of 11 in Chuo

Been to Palace Japan? Share your experiences!