APA Hotel Asakusa Kuramae
US$142
US$313
US$173
  • Restaurant
Agora Place Asakusa(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$86
US$213
US$128
JAPANiCAN.com
US$631
US$592
  • Restaurant
My Stays Asakusabashi(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$102
Ueno Hotel(Taito)
US$302
US$114
Agoda.com
All reviewstop floorbit frustratingsensoji templesumida riverlove japanasakusa lineefficient hotelfree bottlecotton budspublic bathwalking distancebreakfast buffet isrooms are smalldirect accessten minute walkcomfortable bedfamily mart
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I read some of the reviews that had said that the rooms were small and I was okay with small, but when we checked in I realized how small they were talking about. I didn't have enough room to lay my suitcase flat on the floor... There's a bed, a small desk and an okay sized bathroom and pathways to each, and that's it. No extra corner for storage. Very small!!!!
The service was pretty good and overall it wasn't a bad place to stay. We were close to a big shopping area and subway which was nice but there isn't too much else on that size of town. So anything else you want you need to travel to.
Also, we were told by the hotel that they were close to Narita Airport. However, we as the travels should have looked into it a little more but didn't and hopped in a cab. We paid a cab fare of US$215 just to get to the airport... Not close at all!!! Partly our fault but I wish the staff would have advised us against the taxi and to use the jr line instead. Lesson learned.
Overall, not a bad place to stay if you just want a place to lay your head at night and aren't spending much time in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Cgsarah
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We read the rooms were small but otherwise fine so we decided to give it a go

We had to take 2 photos straight away as we had never seen a Hotel room so small! No wardrobe – hang your clothes on clothes hangers on wall hooks..

Place 1 suitcase on the stand provided, then squeeze past and place our 2nd bag on the desk as there’s not enough room on the floor.

Double bed virtually fills the room so no room for queen or king size.

Okay that’s the downside. Now let’s look at what’s good about the Apa Hotel:

1) Excellent location:, easy walk halfway between Asakusa and Kurimae stations and only about 15 minutes walk to the ‘must see’ Sensoji Temple
2) Friendly polite reception staff
3) Impeccably clean
4) Non smoking rooms can be specifically booked (unlike another Tokyo hotel we called who could not guarantee a non smoking room even if we booked it!)
5) Complimentary use of Onsen hot tubs in spa on floor 12 – very relaxing experience after a day in Tokyo
6) Plus the opportunity to experience one of those famous Japanese electronic toilets, complete with built in warm water bidet jets!
7) Free wifi – throughout the building including your room
8) Excellent Japanese buffet breakfast

If you can get past the size of your Hobbit den then the other attributes above make it a very pleasant stay, so we still recommend it as a budget hotel to consider

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AtkinsonJohn
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Despite having been in Japan before I was shocked by the size of the room.
I have been spoiled by suites in the states which are bigger than my bedroom and this was so tiny,.
The internet worked well but you needed to go to the TV to get the code.
For a hotel that caters to non Japanese visitors, they have an English Language paper available, there could be one English channel on the TV.
There was an electric kettle for my tea and coffee which saved me using mine which always takes a long time with the weak electricity that they have in the States and Japan.
There were not many sockets and this could be improved.
I did rest well and the bed and pillows were comfortable.
I only stayed over night and for this i it was OK.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We were 1st time visitors to Tokyo and we enjoyed our stay at the APA-Asakusa. We selected it because it was close to Sensō-ji Temple and we were looking for a quieter area of Tokyo. It was all of that and more. So much to do within walking distance of this hotel. The Sumida River is behind the hotel and river cruise options to other parts of Tokyo are close by. We walked to the Edo Tokyo Museum and
also watched a Sumo match nearby and walked to Ueno Park. Two subway stops are nearby the hotel offering quick acess to anywhere else in the city. We enjoyed the Japanese buffet breakfast offered by the hotel. Food was tasty and the items changed a bit daily. Staff was friendly and efficient. Yes, the rooms were a wee bit small but clean and quiet. Anyway, who spends time in their room when the city of Toyko is just waiting for you to explore?! Nice, clean Onsen.(Observe the posted etiquette if you have never used one).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gallopgirl
Reviewed 21 May 2013

So this is a typical Japanese hotel with small rooms and small bathrooms. Now, I traveled for business, was only there for 2 nights, and am only 23 so honestly this hotel worked very well for me. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was manageable, and THERE IS wifi which I believe was not posted on their website or any booking website such as hotels.com (which is what i used for this instance.) Because I was traveling alone it really wasn't an issue and the hotel staff at the front desk were very accommodating. One such request was that I needed to get to the Royal Park hotel tokyo to catch the Tokyo city air terminal bus to Narita to fly back to the US and they obliged me by writing my request in Japanese so I can show it to a cab. The real reason to stay at this hotel though is that it is ridiculously close to the Senso-ji temple. Its about a 10 min walk and it was amazing to see. Its also only a 5 min taxi ride to tokyo skytree. The breakfast is entirely Japanese, with only some soft boiled eggs, fruit juices, and rolls that would remind you of some kind of american continental breakfast. Overall, good hotel and only a little off the beaten track for someone looking for an american style hotel in tokyo.

Room Tip: most single rooms have windows that face walls of neighboring buildings. therefore if you dont care for seeing the side of a building from your room ask for a room with a view of the tokyo skytree. you'll pay more for the room but if you absolutely can't deal with a window facing a wall then ask when you book for a window view room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo