APA Hotel Asakusa Kuramae
Ryokan
Asakusa Hotel Hatago(Taito)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewstop floorbit frustratingsensoji templesumida riverlove japanasakusa lineefficient hotelfree bottlecotton budspublic bathwalking distancebreakfast buffet isrooms are smalldirect accessten minute walkcomfortable bedfamily mart
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Travelling as a single, this hotel met all requirements - clean, comfortable bed, good hot water, nice deep bath (short in length, though), no residual smell of cigarettes in non-smoking room, not bad breakfast (let the hordes sweep through first - the food is regularly replaced), walking distance to Asakusa with some good restaurants close by, reasonably priced - yep, it ticked all the boxes for me

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here for six nights back in June of this year. It was difficult to open my suitcase in the room. yet that's to be expected in any standard Tokyo Hotel. Beds are large, enough for two adults, and they were VERY comfortable. The room was kept very clean and tidy, although they have this water-saving initiative where they'll change the sheets every few days or so in exchange for a free bottle of water. Unless you pay more, there's nothing to see outside of your window. I only had the wall of the building to stare at, yet that is to be expected since I had a discount rate. The hotel itself is fairly new and the lobby looks quite nice.

The location is very convenient given that there are subway stations located within minutes of walking distance. Sanja-Sama (Asakusa Shrine) is also a little more than 10 minutes of walking from the entrance of the hotel. As with most areas of Japan, I felt very safe wandering alone during the night, and there's even a Family Mart right across the street from the Hotel. Even the elevator is more secure as it requires your room card to activate the elevator button.

Leaving from the hotel to the airport is also very convenient. It's a 8 minute walk from the entrance to Asakusa Station, and no transfer is needed since the train continues as the Keisei Narita Sky Access line.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay there and perhaps, if I get the chance, I'll be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eric T
Reviewed 26 September 2013

this is a business type hotel, still it's got everything you need. it even has an onsen on the top floor!!! yes the rooms are small, but I reckon most Tokyo hotel rooms will be similar in size and shape if not worse. the breakfast in the morning is pretty good, more than enough choice to fill you up. it even has its own self-serviced laundry! (300 and 100 yen for washing and drying)

location is another positive for this hotel. close to kuramae station and the asakusa (shinsoji temple). the front desk staff could do better to improve on their English, otherwise, not bad at all.
would come back again, unless I can afford the park hyatt.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed here for the second time in July. Very spacious rooms for Tokyo. Restaurant downstairs is excellent and great value for unusual Japanese cuisine such as Yuba which is made onsite.
Rooms were modern and the beds were super comfy, like sleeping on a cloud! They also had real pillows ( western pillows) which can be unusual in Tokyo. Only a couple of stops from Ueno.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabella Z
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I read some of the reviews that had said that the rooms were small and I was okay with small, but when we checked in I realized how small they were talking about. I didn't have enough room to lay my suitcase flat on the floor... There's a bed, a small desk and an okay sized bathroom and pathways to each, and that's it. No extra corner for storage. Very small!!!!
The service was pretty good and overall it wasn't a bad place to stay. We were close to a big shopping area and subway which was nice but there isn't too much else on that size of town. So anything else you want you need to travel to.
Also, we were told by the hotel that they were close to Narita Airport. However, we as the travels should have looked into it a little more but didn't and hopped in a cab. We paid a cab fare of US$215 just to get to the airport... Not close at all!!! Partly our fault but I wish the staff would have advised us against the taxi and to use the jr line instead. Lesson learned.
Overall, not a bad place to stay if you just want a place to lay your head at night and aren't spending much time in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013