“amazing japanese traditional house with super friendly staffs”

toco.-Tokyo Heritage Hostel
Ranked #10 of 65 Speciality lodging in Taito
Jakarta, Indonesia
“amazing japanese traditional house with super friendly staffs”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

One thing that I've regretted during stayed here is: I had only stayed here for a night. This is the best hostel in Tokyo. The hostel is literally 90 years old Japanese traditional house with quite neighborhood. I really enjoy my stayed here. I felt the Japanese traditional ambience here with cheap price! but the most amazing is the super friendly staffs. at nite, they gave us drink such as liquor, beer, or wine. I stayed here solo, at nite the kind girl staff came to my seat and we talked for hours, really friendly. but because the age of the house, sometimes the wooden floor is lil bit noisy.at night you have to walk carefully because your noise of footsteps on the floor can disturb other guests sleep. beside that, all the light (such as at the kitchen or lane) will be switch off at 12 pm. the location is really close to iriya station, only 3 minutes walking. if I back to Tokyo (hopefully soon) I definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank meladewinta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My friends and I stayed at TOCO for 3 nights in April/May. It's a faily hidden place in the streets of Taito-ku but nonetheless has a unique "heritage" style and feel. The staff is very friendly and welcomed us every night at their bar with a free welcome-whisky. The bar is also popular among local people, which adds some Japanese flavour to the international atmosphere.
It was my first stay in a dorm for a long time and I felt quite a bit jammed, but I didn't mind much considering the overall experience. You have to be quiet after midnight!
From TOCO other parts of Tokyo are also easily accessible. Asakusa and Ueno are nearby, Kappabashi Street is within walk distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tim W
Bristol
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hostel is gorgeous and you'd be silly not to stay here!
Firstly Toco is in a very quiet area of Tokyo called Taito and may seem very out of the way but in fact it is in a perfect location for any activity you have planned. It is particularly close to Asakusa. Toco is a 30 second walk from Iriya Subway station and a 15 minute walk from JR Ueno Station. We decided to walk from Ueno to get our bearings as we had never been to Tokyo before and the walk was very pleasant and easy going.

We stayed here for 7 nights and had another 7 nights booked in the Grand Arc Hanzomon after our stay here. We had booked a private room, we wanted the Western style room but we were so glad it was full already for the week and we were offered the Japanese room. It was a stunning room with views of the garden. The decor is very chic but traditional and all of the doors are sliding doors (even the front entrance!).
The room had a tea table, cushions and 2 futon mattresses and all sheets and duvets. It was very spacious, enough room for our suitcase and backpacks with lots to spare. Sleep quality was OK (Bring earplugs for snoring neighbours!).
Being a 90 year old Japanese house...The walls are literally paper thin so please be cautious if you go to bed late or come in late at night as even normal talking can be heard clearly.
We were next to a mixed dorm room so there were a fair few snorers echoing throughout the building. Pop some headphones or earplugs in if snoring bothers you a lot.

The pillows are very thin but this was average for Asian standards. Comparing it to the UK it was like having a sheet of paper haha. It wasn't any trouble for us but if you are used to big plump pillows then it might be a good idea to bring an old pillow with you and leave it behind to save luggage space. Other than that, the sleep quality was good and the futon mattress was comfy, the duvet was light but warm and there are extra blankets just in case it gets cold.

Everything was always clean and fresh when we arrived back from a day out. The facilities were more than fantastic! Full use of the kitchen and appliances like the hob, microwave, fridge, kettle with free tea and coffee throughout your whole stay. There are 2 toilets and 2 showers which were more than fine and seemed to be free the majority of the time so there was no queue for it at any time. There is no eating in the rooms which we found out quite embarrassingly and you are not allowed to wear shoes inside the house. There are slippers provided if needed but you can walk around bare foot or in socks with no problems.

This hostel sells out FAST so you need to make a reservation in advance. We emailed as soon as our dates became available on the calendar (3 months in advance) and the western double room had already been booked up! The price was fantastic at 6500 Yen per night, breakfast is available for a small price, I think 300 yen per person, or you can buy rice for 50 Yen per cup to cook yourself. Dorm rooms are from 2700 - 3000 yen per night which is amazing! The food looked fantastic but we bought breakfast our selves every morning instead. You also get one free drink at the bar every night you stay to encourage people to socialise and get to know the other guests during your stay. Everyone is always happy to help with whatever you need. Me and Marie even had a sing along to some Ghibli songs in the kitchen one morning which was lovely :D

I can't recommend this hostel enough! It is beautiful, traditional, cheap with amazing quality for your money. Our first visit in Tokyo will not be our last and we will certainly be staying here again. It felt like a second home to us.

Room Tip: If you prefer your privacy then go for the Japanese rooms to save you carrying lots of luggage upsta...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank XantheRowland
Loughborough
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Toco was the third Japanese hostel I stayed at after Anne and a Capsule Hotel. I only stayed a couple of nights but the amazing staff immediately made me feel like an old friend. The free drink at the bar each night was a good excuse to chat with the staff and other guests and the cheap breakfast in the morning was full of good conversation.

The wooden house with it's creaking floorboards and paper walls was a pleasant experience and oozed character, just like the mini Mt. Fuji at the back of the traditional garden. Travelling in December there was no worry of being cold with the thick bedding provided. It was easy to find and within walking distance of Ueno Zoo and the museums. Although, the direct neighbourhood was quiet with the recommended bar about 5-10 minutes walk away.

Out of all of the hostels I have ever stayed at Toco is my favourite so far and I can't wait to come back to it's charming traditional island in Tokyo.

Tiger Mask a.k.a. Matt

Room Tip: In the downstairs 8 people room one of the beds (bottom, back, right) has ALOT more room behind it f...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank itslilyitslily
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Unfortunately, I had only stayed for a night and wished I could stay longer. Very traditional feel, and couples very well with it's beautiful garden feature. Close to Iriya station, and many local dining options recommended by the staff (all of which are very good).
The staff are very fun (they even come out to places with guests occassionally), while still providing great service. The small bar at the front of the hostel welcomes locals as well as hostel guests every night and can get very lively.

Will definitely need to go back on my next visit to Japan!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Trevrev
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The facilities here are fantastic, and the staff are welcoming and helpful. The lounge/bar area is great with a more contemporary ambiance. The rooms, garden, and kitchen have a more traditional feel with the paper doors/walls and tatama mats. The neighborhood is quiet but close to the Iriya station on the Hibiya line and is 5-10 minutes walking distance from the larger Ueno station on the Ginza/Hibiya/Yamanote lines. Also close to some recommended restaurants (we tried an amazing ramen noodle spot on the map they give you).

Our room was cozy, and we had plenty of blankets for the cold weather. We didn't have any problem with noisy neighbors as others have mentioned, but I suppose that's the luck of the draw with who's staying there on any given night. Literally paper-thin walls won't provide much privacy, but you should understand that's what you're getting into.

Breakfast in the morning was great and a bargain at ¥300. Once again, our hosts were very gracious.

No locks on the room doors, but they do provide a small box to keep valuables in. In any case, I wasn't worried about it. In a country where people leave their bicycles unlocked on the street, I figured I'd risk it.

Second night back we hung out in the bar area with some locals who stopped by for the evening. The language barrier was significant, but we had a wonderful time and shared some good gut-laughs. I know I lucked out to meet such fun people, but it seems like Toco has a great reputation and attracts a good crowd.

The welcome drink they give you is tiny, but it's the gesture that counts, and the beers were cheap, anyway!

Bottom line: I'll be staying here again on my next trip to Japan.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank matthewboop
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at toco while visiting Tokyo. It's only 3 minutes to the Hibiya line and 10 to the yamanote making it easy to travel around Tokyo.
The place is spotless (even if I found a cockroach in my bedroom) but the real appeal is the building itself, proper old Japanese. .. sliding doors, tatami and so on... even a small Fuji in the garden. It is expensive but I guess u pay for the experience. Oh, and you get a small complimentary drink every night.
Breakfast is 300 ¥ including 2 rice balls a small bowl of soup and tea. Nice and filling.
The only downside is that this place is noisy. Staff seems to enjoy chatting with guests in the garden, till late at night, keeping everybody awake. There is a midnight to 7 quiet rule but it doesn't seem to be respected or reinforced.
Apart from that, they are all very helpful and I surely recommend it for a short stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ellie79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Nui. Hostel & Bar Lounge
#3 of 65 in Taito
The Edo Sakura
The Edo Sakura
#4 of 122 in Taito

Been to toco.-Tokyo Heritage Hostel? Share your experiences!