Taito Ryokan
US$180
US$114
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
Via Inn Asakusa(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$55
US$97
US$77
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
My Stays Asakusabashi(Taito)(Great Value!)
US$53
Ueno Hotel(Taito)
US$84
US$60
Very Good 4/5
All reviewstawaramachi stationnice common areafutontokyotoiletscomfortshrine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2013

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place to come.

However, if all you want is somewhere cheap to sleep after sightseeing all day, this is a good place to stay! The shower was lovely, lots of hot water and the bathroom and toilets were always clean. Our room was clean, the bedding was in decent condition, and I slept very well on the futons on the tatami mat floor. There is a small communal area with guides to Tokyo in different languages, tea and coffee to drink and a TV. The owner/manager was very friendly, helpful and spoke good English.

As for the other reviews- we saw no bugs at all, cockroaches or mosquitoes. The room was a perfect temperature, although this is probably down to the time of year.

The only complaint I have is about the other guests. While most seemed friendly and polite, one group in particular insisted on having loud conversations outside the shower/in the communal area during the early hours of the morning. Really inconsiderate when the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paradisecatcher
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

This little place is how we imagined the set for the film if it to had lasted till now. Although it is cheap at ¥3000 per person a night you get a fabulous location for both the more real/atmospheric Tokyo and you are on hand for Sensoji shrine and the kitchen/tat shopping areas. The guy who is on reception is most helpful whenever you need him, even if he's lying on the couch. First impressions say this is a back packers haunt but to be fair the age range went from 20-60. Most people seemed unobtrusively friendly and considerate since the walls are paper thin. This ryokan is a sort of architectural homage that looks ram shackle but is well kept, clean and atmospheric. It's also near some great eateries and a good coffee shop.
We stayed four nights here and moved to an upmarket ryokan nearby for a night to see the difference. Wish we hadn't, three times the price, hostile and shabby whilst pretending to be better.
:-(
Good old Taito!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank angelofthesarf
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I cannot say this is the best place to stay, but if you want to experience a bit of old Japan house, with a cheap price and good location, then this is it. You'll get the pillow with beads inside, a futon and a thin blanket (don't mind since I traveled in summer). The air contains a certain smell from old wood and tatami - and it sticks to your clothes.
The stairs are bit steep, just like old 2-storey wooden houses, and creaks here and there.
The location is perfect - within the Asakusa vicinity, although the nearest metro station - Tawaramachi - don't have an elevator
The owner / caretaker (?) - Satoshi-san is very friendly & helpful, with fluent English

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank heliana_ea
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I haven't felt moved to write a review here before (positive to negative) but I wanted to share a few words of warning for other travellers: this was probably my worst experience in Japan! The place was freezing (unlike others we stayed), the owner grumpy and unhelpful, and the rooms were sparse. It's fine for the price, just don't expect any warm customer service!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sandcastles14
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Like many of the other reviewers, I can say that this place is cheap!, but I would have probably been more comfortable at a capsule hotel than here in the middle of winter. The room was minimal as expected (no TV expect in the small common room; just a room with a nice futon, blanket and small pillow), but the place had no insulation. Like the windows barely covered me from the outdoors.

I did have a system to keep from being miserably cold.

1.) Get to room and turn on overhead heat (kicked on only after a few minutes).
2.) Grab towel and toiletries and go take a hot shower (the hot water was plentiful).
3.) Climb into futon and let the heat from the shower/my body heat up the bed.
4.) Stay there and wait until bedtime.

So, this place did make my stay in Japan a little uncomfortable. Even with me leaving extremely early in the morning and getting back around 8/9ish. The manager was super nice, and I never felt unsafe at all. The room was clean (old, but clean). I loved the area of the hotel, but it was cold. All of the common areas were cold, too. I debated with myself how badly I needed to go to the bathroom at night since it was pretty painful to get out of my semi-cold room into the freezing cold hallway. I guess people in Tokyo don't have to worry about frozen pipes? Granted, I had the room that didn't have tatami mats and the manager did mention that it was colder and offered me a different room where I would share with another person. But I can't imagine that tatami mats would have made that big of a difference since the walls themselves were seeping heat.

So, I would not stay here again. I would only recommend this place as an alternative to hostels when it's warm outside.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo