“Amazing baths, quaint location”
Review of Ryokan Sawanoya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taito
Ryokan Sawanoya
Ranked #1 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing baths, quaint location”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Located in the older, quieter parts of Tokyo, this place is run by an amazing family. The public baths are well kept and look out a beautiful private garden. Would definitely recommend. Also about 5 minute walk to the Metro.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChristopherCalahan
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear ChristopherCalahan san,

for visitors to Japan for a long time.

We look forward to having you and your family during your future visit to Japan.

Sawa family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my first time in Japan and so my first ryokan I have ever stayed. I came to this cozy looking ryokan straight from the Narita airport and Mr. Sawa was there welcoming me in with great hospitality.

About the ryokan experience:
The reception/sitting room with tea and information. It is wondeful, especially the free tea and coffee in wooden mugs and so many brochures to read. If you need a brochure of certain area near Tokyo, Mr Sawa will then seeks one for you. I got one good map/brochure of Mount Takao when I was heading there for a day which was very helpful during my trip :)

The room I was in, number 32, was perfect! Small room for shoes, umbrellas and face washing place with mirror. Then when you enter to main room, be carefull with your head if you are tall, throw shōji door you see tatami floor, bed on floor, small tea table/chabudai and another shōji door to the small balcony. Lovely small relaxing room where one can relax after day trips :)

About bath, toilet and washing machine.
The room I was in had no toilet but the third floor had toilets for women and men on corridor. Compact western style toilets, nothing to complain about those. Only thing that disturbed me was a small door(s) that caused me one or two bumb during my trip but that was my own arrogance for not bowing enough.

There is also 200¥ washing machine for use, powder is free and you can take clothes to dry on rooftop. Also third floor has a iron. Used this service and it was convenient.

The Bath. There are two washing rooms in ryokan. I used only the other one everyday during my trip and it was wonderful. It felt so good get in to small hot bath after long day exploring Tokyo and sweating in +30 degree heat.

The staff in ryokan is very polite and it is good that the customer is also polite to them. You get greeted every morning by them. Of course everyone I met during my trip was a very polite to me or that how I felt it. I'm not used to that kind of politeness in my everyday life so it was kind of "wau" experience during my first days in Japan.

The ryokan surrounding:
The place is in old area where you can find see how Japanese are living. Not far away is Nezu shrine, Nezu metro station, Nippori station, Yanaka "shopping street" (tea shops, 100 ¥ store, alcohol store...) and many place to eat or drink.

One good tip, if you are going to walk around the surroundings, is to have Google maps with you there. I had pocket wifi and phone with me all the time when walked there on those small streets. Once I tried get to ryokan from the Nippori station without help of maps. Unfortunately I got lost on those small streets...Looked the maps and found the ryokan soon.

All in all this was a perfect place for me to stay and I will stay there again next year, I hope :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Lawrison I san,

We are happy when you enjoy staying with us.
And we are very sorry about small doors.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We came here straight from the airport and were warmly welcomed for our first night in Japan. (We actually got lost along the way and a man driving by rolled down his window saying, "Sawanoya!" and pointed us in the right direction.) We were given a map of the area and shown our room, which was traditional, beautiful, clean and comfortable.

Our entire stay was lovely. We enjoyed tea in the room, relaxed in the Yukatas, and had comfortable sleeps. We had breakfast at Sawanoya every morning, which was a simple, Western style meal. During breakfast one morning, we were invited to a Maki sushi rolling lesson/dinner party by People's Educational And Cultural Exchange (PEACE) group. That alone was a memorable, hands-on experience of Japanese culture. We never would have had the pleasure to do that if we were not staying at Sawanoya. The Sawanoya family is incredibly hospitable and we wish we could have stayed there longer.

After checking out, they came outside and saw us off. It was so sweet and adorable, a perfect goodbye. We'll definitely return to Sawanoya when we inevitably come back to Tokyo.

Room Tip: Book early! We preferred a private bath and those rooms seem to fill up much faster, as they're...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole L
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Nicole L san,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for writing a review.

We are happy when you enjoy staying with us and aMaki sushi party.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Thumbs up for Ryokan Sawanoya. A very informative ryokan that has more info on places around Japan.Mr Sawa family is very friendly and assist us in our visit to tokyo. Quiet and peaceful neighborhood that's quite near to metro subway.

• Stayed April 2014
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear AnthonyOng san,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

While traveling around Japan with classmates and professors from my university in the United States, we stayed at the Sawanoya Ryokan for two nights during our two week long stay in Japan. I wish that we had spent more nights here as it was the traditional Japanese ryokan experience we all had imagined. I have great memories of this place and if I am ever lucky enough to return to Tokyo, I would definitely stay here again. Beautiful place, very traditional.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Cat L san,

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Mr. Sawa has been recognized by the Japanese government for his work of over thirty years to introduce foreign travelers to Japanese style accommodations. We have stayed there many times over the years and he continually is improving the inn. It is in the heart of a bit of old Tokyo, you can stroll the neighborhood with an English map and see a lot of unique businesses and sites, but also easily hop onto the subway and be at Tokyo or Ginza stations in minutes. There is a lot of information about Tokyo and Japan available in the lobby, breakfast for a nominal price and staff will provide information about your next destination. Baths are shared, but I have not experienced a queue. There are typically a number of people from foreign countries as well as Japanese staying there. In addition, it is a fantastic value for Tokyo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Medudah
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Medudah san,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I chose ryokan sawanoya due to all of the great reviews, and was not disappointed! We've stayed in several places so far and this was definitely the best and a great first impression of Japan and Tokyo. The area is really nice, green and relaxed. The family were very friendly, the rooms are nice and the onsen are amazing! I never had to wait to use the shared toilets and only ever had to wait a few minutes for the bath. I would love to go back and would recommend it to anyone visiting Tokyo!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sawanoya, Sawa family at Ryokan Sawanoya, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear emmarclarke san,

Sawa family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 109 in Minato
Ueno, Asakusa
THE GATE HOTEL Asakusa Kaminarimon by HULIC

Been to Ryokan Sawanoya? Share your experiences!