“FABULOUS Japanese inn in Tokyo!!!!”
Review of Ryokan Sawanoya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taito
Ryokan Sawanoya
Ranked #1 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
new york, ny
“FABULOUS Japanese inn in Tokyo!!!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2006

I visited Japan in the beginning of April and stayed three nights in Tokyo. Wanting to save money and have a "Japanese experience," my friend and I opted to stay at a ryokan - a traditional Japanese inn, which tend to be cheaper, and sometimes nicer, than hotels. The first night we stayed at Taito Ryokan, which wasn't necessarily horrible, but definitely wasn't somewhere we would have stayed had we known about it before going. Anyway, they didn't have rooms available for us for all three nights, so we had made plans to move onto the Ryokan Sawanoya near Asakusa. Thank god, because Sawanoya is WONDERFUL!!!!

Ryokan Sawanoya is a family run establishment, and the owners were hospitable and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and serviced. For example, we got in to Sawanoya early in the morning before our room was available, and they let us leave our bags with them so we could explore Tokyo unhindered. When we came back later that afternoon, our bags were neatly lined up in the closet in our room. They provided maps of the local area as well! While they do not have a curfew, they do lock their doors at 11:00pm. After telling them we planned to stay out late, they gave us a key to the front door so we can come in as we pleased. Then, I needed to ship a few things home to the USA and inquired where the nearest post office was (right around the block) and the owners even went into the back room to find me a box and tape I could use. They were great.

The rooms are gorgeous - Clean tatami mats on the floor, a coffee table with a tea set and water heater, a TV and a spacious closet. The bedding (which goes on the floor) was clean, white and SO cushy!!! There is a little "foyer" area right inside the door to the room with your own sink and mirror...the toilet is down the hall, a men's and women's stall, and although shared by the whole floor, was always pristine and smelled so nice (like apples). The toilet was one of those cool high tech ones too that offer a bidet, spray, or music!

The showers are located downstairs, and there are two of them that include a shower and a japanese style bath. These rooms were clean and even offered complimentary shampoo and conditioner and soap!

Also downstairs is a refrigerator from which you can help yourself to cold water, and there is also a dining area where you can order snacks or breakfast. In that area are two computers you can use the internet on and check email free of charge as well.

This is a FANTASTIC place to stay - everytime we came back to the hotel for the two nights we stayed there after a long day out, we always said, "i am SO glad we are staying HERE." I highly recommend this place.

25 Thank thorough_planner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2006

We stayed here for 3 days in january 2006.Very clean place.English is spoken by the friendly staff.The room we stayed was a Japanese style room.It was extermely clean.The western style breakfast which we opted for was also ok.would definitely love to go back!!!!!!!

Stayed January 2006
11 Thank Sobekra
Minnetonka
Reviewed 30 November 2005

I stayed at Sawanoya for my first night in Japan. It was very easy to find because of the street signs actually written in English pointing out the way to go. My room was very clean and very comfortable, and there was a sink area which was not expected. The shared bathroom was also very clean. I did not use their shower facilities as my daughter (who attends the U) offered up hers to use. The staff was very friendly and accomodating and spoke decent English. Free internet use was very helpful to let friends and family back home that I had arrived safely. I did not eat there. I would not hesitate in recommending this Ryokan. It was a very nice one! Great location as well.

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank Lynn R
Reviewed 14 November 2004

Just back from Sawanoya Ryokan, read another web review with which I concur and want to add that the location is superb.

Close to the museums, zoo and park which are a welcome respite from the hum of the city. Walking the old neighbourhood with the map they supply is fun, nice bakeries.

They have a coin operated washer and dryer on the 3rd fl that was very useful.

Downtown Tokyo is very poluted but should not be missed.

The reservation was made via the net they ans withing 24 hours. There is lots of tourist stuff in the lobby and english is spoken and written.

28 Thank gillianp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 109 in Minato

Been to Ryokan Sawanoya? Share your experiences!