“Highly recommended even for frequent vistors to Tokyo!”

Sukeroku No Yado Sadachiyo
Ranked #43 of 123 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the Sadachiyo Ryokan. I had tried to reserve the room but was informed none was available. I was patient and kept following up to see if there would be a sudden vacancy. Fortunately, there was a guest that backed out; opening the opportunity to enjoy Tokyo in a ryokan on our anniversary!

We were very pleased with Sadachiyo. It is located centrally with easy access to the subway/trains in Tokyo. The area was walking distance to a number of attractions in Asakusa. There were also many local restaurants around.

The room was a bit smaller than ryokans we have stayed in previously but nonetheless, the bed was clean with crisply ironed bed sheets and blanket cover. They were all perfectly prepared for the evening.

They also had an onsen and for the most part, we had the onsen to ourselves as we generally went after 9 pm. Soaking in the hot spring after a long day of walking and eating was a great way to get ready for a restful night.

All in all, I highly recommend this ryokan experience. Hard to get in a big city like Tokyo.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chinaren_10

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I am glad that I did book for this ryokan for 3 nights stay. It was such a great experience.
We had got the smallest room but is still so roomy compare to other business hotels. You get your own toilet and bathroom with nicey nice amenities. You also get complimentary internet on every floor. As from other previews, the staff handed us two little tags that had our names on it as souvenir. The hotel is not far away from the Sensoji temple and you can have a great view of Tokyo skytree from the temple too. Besides, walk further towards the river, you can see the Asahi beer hall's "golden cloud" thingy.
The price is slightly more expensive than other business hotel but is definitely worth it to experience the japanese style of accomodation.

Room Tip: Choose room on the upper floor which is quiter. As we are on 2nd floor that we can hear people talki...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mushimushroom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

great location and very friendly and helpful staff. Found it a bit noisy in the morning and around the shared bath area. Ask for an extra mattress to double up with. Only one is pretty thin on the floor. Italian restaurant just up the street is very good. 5 minute walk to temple area.

Room Tip: not on streetside or near shared bath
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Japanese people are generally very hospitable but this ryokan is special. The recreated antique atmosphere is perfect.
My room had its own bath and toilet (you get special slippers to wear in there). The bath was beautiful, very deep, with a black and gold chrysanthemum pattern. The communal baths (same gender) were also great, one cypress, the other granite, open at different times for men and women.
Delicious green tea was served on arrival by the owner, who chatted with me about Europe, that she'd visited on her honeymoon. I changed into a soft and comfortable yukata and tongs. These clothes can be worn in public areas as well and people come down to dinner in them (but the footwear is left at the door of each room).
I was the only Westerner at dinner; an origami in the shape of a crane (symbol of longevity and luck) with my name on it marked out my table, I kept it as a souvenir. Dinner was a veritable feast, with many delicate and flavoursome dishes, hot and cold.
There are many restaurants and bars and betting places around the area, but I didn't hear much raucous street noise from my room after 11 pm, and it's quite safe to walk around (as it most of Japan).
The staff were very helpful and eager to help, and several of the employees spoke decent English. When I left they presented me with a luggage tag with my name on it both in Latin characters and in Japanese, and a large handful of Japanese candy.
I highly recommend this place to anyone who wishes to experience the atmosphere of a traditional inn and taste real Japanese food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank brancusirocks
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We lashed out for two expensive nights in this lovely ryokan in the centre of Asakusa's restaurant area. It was quiet at night. We had a very big room (for Tokyo) on the fourth floor and I counted ten tatami mats in the main room. There was also a smaller ante room where we put our luggage and it had benches and a small table. The bathroom had a square bath, but we used the public baths on the second floor - a stone bath and a wooden bath - they are segregated and swapped around so that men and women can try both.
The staff are lovely - so animated, cheerful and ready to help with anything (except hold one of our suitcases when we went to Hakone for two nights).
We paid a lot extra for a Tsubaki feast on our second night. Some of it was very good, but overall it was disappointing compared to one we had on Miyajima four years ago. The lobster was stale. Our sitting was 7.00pm and we felt like the food had been standing for a while.
The ryokan has paintings and objets d'art along the halls and staircases and piped music plays. We really enjoyed our stay, but it was not great value for money. Cheaper ryokans have tatami mats and futons, too, and are always immaculately clean. Our ryokan in Hakone the following two nights was half the price and very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My Husband had stayed here before, but this was my and our teenage son and daughter's first time to Japan and it was very special. It was just fantastic. The staff were amazing, so helpful and so so friendly. Their English was way better than our Japanese, though we still kept trying. We loved the very authentic traditional Japanese feel of the Ryokan and we felt like family. Asakusa is a safe and central place to stay and will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank aussiepals
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This a fantastic place to stay in Tokyo. Asakusa is a great traditional area and a really good place to head to at the end of the day. Tokyo's quite a big city but it's just about walkable if you're keen! We were right in the middle of a festival as well which was really amazing. The hotel and room were really beautiful and all the staff were really, really friendly. It was worth trying the breakfast - a bit expensive but quite an experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceR006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Ryokan Kamogawa
#4 of 11 in Meguro
Annex Katsutaro
Annex Katsutaro
#20 of 123 in Taito

Been to Sukeroku No Yado Sadachiyo? Share your experiences!