“Lovely”

Ranked #15 of 442 things to do in Taito
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of Japan's most beloved zoos, Ueno Zoo includes many unusual animals, such as Hokkaido brown beans, Japanese macaques, and wild cormorants.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My friend and I went here and half way through our trip it started to rain; however we were still amazed at what we saw.

The zoo was very reasonably priced to get in, and to buy snacks etc. I think that some of the enclosures could have been bigger - namely the bear enclosures and the tiger enclosure.

There were pandas, elephants, lions, tigers, monkeys, penguins (who smelt bad because of the rotting fish they were eating), lots of different sorts of birds and many reptiles. It also had an absolutely adorable turtle that seemed lonely and that I just wanted to cuddle and take home... He was huge and just seemed like he wanted more friends and a bigger area.

There are two sides to the park, we caught the monorail over to one side, then we walked back through another exit. It was not too crowded but there was a LARGE school outing there. I would recommend this for people to visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,263)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I should start by saying that I'm biased here as I've been wanting to see a real panda for so many years now this zoo was always going to be rated very highly simply for that. They're just amazing, and if you're a bear fan in general then there's plenty of others to amuse you also. I particularly enjoyed the polar bear who spent most of the time I was there diving.

You have to remember thar this is an Asian zoo so don't think of the vast spaces you see in Europe for all the enclosures, but having said that the animals seemed happy and well cared for. There also a surprising variety of animals on display given its not the biggest zoo you'll ever see.

On the whole I really enjoyed my morning here and would recommend it

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The zoo is large and has just about all of the animals that are typically major attractions at zoos, including lions, tigers, pandas, elephants, giraffes, gorillas, monkeys, penguins, and much more. The enclosures seemed spacious, but the zoo was laid out well enough to allow visibility into the enclosures from many vantage points. There are a lot of bathrooms throughout the zoo, so there always seems to be one close by and they are kept very clean. The only drawback I saw was that there seemed to be only a few restaurants and they were very busy at lunch time (I was there on a weekend day).

Allow at least a few hours to cover the entire zoo. The adult admission price of 600 yen (about USD $6) is a bargain compared to large zoos in other cities I have been to around the world. Also, admission is free for children 12 and under. The location is very convenient as it is a 5-10 minute walk from a few subway and JR stations.

1  Thank TLMurphy77
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Despite many out-of date enclosures (little space for occupants, which results in neurotic behavior), this zoo brings me back when I visit Tokyo because of its wide variety of animals. I especially enjoy the two pandas and the myriad lemurs. The aye ayes (a type of lemur) cannot be seen at any other zoo in Asia.

There are two major sections to the zoo, connected by a walking path or monorail (fee), and the zoo can be entered through either section. Admission is a mere 600 Y for adults and 300 Y for seniors.

A popular destination, the zoo can get quite crowded at times, especially with children on school outings. It is a great place for kids. There are a couple of cafeterias with plenty of picnic tables and also lots of benches around the grounds, where visitors can relax for a while.

I find this zoo a fun place to go and I often combine it with a museum stop or two in Ueno Park.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

It may seem odd to go to a zoo in a far away country. Animals are the same no matter where you are in the world. And indeed I did not go to Uneo Zoo for the animals. Rather, I wanted to try a special dish shown on Japanese television. One can buy "panda dumplings", the same food as fed to the Panda's now available to be eaten by the visitors. As it turned out the documentary was dated and panda dumplings are no longer available. The people in the restaurant had a good laugh when I showed them the TV show on my phone. For some time now, the Japanese menu has been replaced by American style fast food. Now it is all hamburgers and fries. How sad!

Rather disappointed I decided to make the best of it and see the animals. And as it happens animals are different in Japan! There are many animals on display that I have never seen in European zoos, like the aye aye, pygmy hippopotamus, armadillo, maned wolf, giant anteater and the mean looking fossa. While there is no aquarium, the zoo features no less than three buildings dedicated to nocturnal animals. Do take a look at the shoebill, this odd bird looks just like a character from Japanese manga!

I almost got used to big cages where in the far corner an animal can be seen sleeping. Yet again this Japanese zoo is different: the animals are all awake, running around, climbing and otherwise very active.

Most signs in Ueno Zoo are both in Japanese and English, so don't worry if you don't speak the local lingo. And while at Uneo you'll learn anyway because every animal is labeled "kawaii" (cute) by the visitors. The children are most fond of the star attraction: the Panda bears. It is pretty obvious what all the children mean when they shout "Panda san, Panda san!" The Pandas are an absolute joy to watch. They are so"kawaii" and unreal that just seeing the Pandas is worth the trip. So even though I left the zoo hungry, I had a great day anyway.