“Do not stay here”

Khaosan Tokyo Original
Ranked #25 of 69 Speciality lodging in Taito
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Had an awful experience in a twin bed private for 2 nights. Our booking was originally for 6 nights but we were forced to cut our stay short and move elsewhere.

Generally, the hostel is very dated, there is no atmosphere and it has a dirty feel to it.
The private room was uncomfortably small - i understand that space is always going to be an issue in a city as populated as tokyo however the lack of space in this hostel is far worse than any other and makes you feel like you're in a coffin. We literally could not move in the room when our luggage was on the floor.
The bed was rock hard to the point that we got hardly any sleep and we were left in a lot of pain the next day. I genuinely think it would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor.
These issues aside, the worst has to be the bed bugs that were in the bed and left me with very painful bites. I have had this kind of bite before and was therefore certain it was bed bugs and not mosquitos and the bites were in places not accessible to mosquitos.
Despite all these issues, we were forced to pay their cancellation charges which appeared very unfair in the circumstances as the room was completely inhabitable.

I advise anyone not to stay here. Stay in Nui hostel down the road instead which we have had a great time at.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank kj1570

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We came as a group of 6. 4 of us took a 4-bed room, the other two took a 2-bed room.

Our room (4-beds) are bunk beds. The beds are comfy, the rooms were clean. Our room was apparently the biggest, so we had just enough space to open our suitcases and do our packing.

However, my friend who stayed in a 2-bed room complained that there was barely enough space to open a luggage. And it was enough floor space for one person to do their packing. The other person had to wait.

So be mindful about big luggage, especially if you are staying in a small room.

The kitchen is small, but has all the basics. It has a stove, an ovenette, a microwave. It has pots and pans, plates and cutleries. There is a fridge, but wished that it was a bigger fridge because there were so many occupants and they had a lot of stuff in the fridge.

There is a small lounge that can comfortably fit 7 ~ 8 people at the same time, with TV. There are two computers for guest use with internet, and there is wifi throughout the hostel.

The only gripe was that the bidets sometimes don't work. And there was one time that the shower's drainage on the 1st floor was clogged so it was flooded while I took a bath.

I also was not comfortable showering in the 1st floor showering room that had the window. Firstly, the floor was weird. It was some kind of rough cement, it gives me the impression that it is not clean. Should replace with tiles. And it somehow smelled funny. And at night the light was not bright enough. I always found myself waiting for the other shower room to be vacant as it was much more comfortable.

Other than that, the hostel is very close to Tokyo Metro line and Toei subway line, so travelling is not a problem. Location is extremely good with lots of eateries and a 7-11 nearby. There is even a Burger King, and kosher/kebab food nearby. It is 5 minutes walk to Senso-ji buddhist temple, and Tokyo Skytree is 1 stop away via Tokyo Metro line.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back again as the overall experience was quite positive :)

Room Tip: Try to get the 4-bed room as it has bigger floor space if you have enough people.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I had an awful experience in a "Basic twin private" room. The room smelled horribly and even the air from the air condition had a bad smell, it was disgusting. The room had a bunk bed but the floor area was so small that we could barely open a suitcase, and opening both of them at the same time was just impossible. The mattresses were so worn out that we could feel every bar in the bed though the mattress. We could clearly hear every time someone used the bathroom or sink which were just outside the door. So we had a horrible nights sleep and checked out first thing in the morning though it meant we had to pay 2,5 nights, and went and found another hotel. It is shameless to charge money for a room in those conditions and we would not have stayed there even if it was for free.

Room Tip: Don't go...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M_Nielsen189543
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Located right on Sumida River. Less than 30 minute walk to Tokyo Sky Tree. Very near the metro system. Stayed 2 nights, 3 days...great value. I did a lot of sightseeing in Tokyo and the location was perfect with Asakusa Station up the block.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I was about to stay in this hostel for 1 night before moving on to the next destination, as I need to depart from Tobu Asakusa station, this hostel was my choice for 1 night stay.

This is my first time to stay in such kind of hostel in Japan, I would say this is not bad, it's only a bit old and the room is small, but with a price lower than capsule hotel, there's nothing to complain.

Shared toilet and common room is normal, and you would be able to make new friends as well!!

Unlike those capsules, which normally occupied by some local people who missed last train back home, this hostel mainly occupied by backpackers, and therefore the hostel staff can speak English pretty well.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My friends and I rested in 4 beds privated room on 13, 17-18, 20 April 2013.
Room is very small but clean. We can open only 2 luggages at the same time.
There are 3 shower rooms, 4 toilets, kitchen, living room and store-room.

We found 2 staffs here. They are very nice.

When we checked in here, we got coupons for free SaKi drinks.
Plum Saki is good taste. We love it.

This hostel is near Metro, Toei and Tobu line.
It is convenient to go to Narita Airport by Toei line. (Pay 1,240 yen For Direct Airport).

Room Tip: 3 floors is difficult to raise your luggages. There are only 2 toilets at 3 floors. 2 floors is eas...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

During my 3 week trip to Japan I've stayed at four different hotels in the Khaosan Group, Three in Tokyo and one in Kyoto.

This hostel is the oldest in the Group (the original) and has a great location near transport hub Asakusa, Senso-ji temple, Sumo museum, shops, restaurants and you name it. The facilities are a bit worn and the hostel feels somewhat cramped. Staff was friendly though.

All the other Khaosans I've stayed at are worth a rating of 4-5, this one however a little closer 3 than 4. As compared to other hostels of course. But it certainly isn't a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo