“My home in Tokyo”

Ranked #37 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Parma, Italy
“My home in Tokyo”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I've been in Tokyo some 10 or 11 times and New Izu Hotel is some kind of a second home for me! The staff is very kind, always helpful and considerate. Location is very convenient since it's just 5 minutes away form Ueno Station in which you will stop directly from Narita Airport via Keisei Liner and you can easily travel all across japan thanks to the extremely efficient railway net.
The hotel is small but very cozy, clean and silent and it has a lawson right next door so you will never run out of cup ramen and cola. It has web access and free wi-fi and above all a beautiful staff which will help you in any way you may need.
There's no other place I'd rather be than the New Izu Hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 December 2011

This was our first accommodation in Japan, very cheap for us student travellors, stayed 6 nights with 3 friends (2 rooms of 2). Very neat and organised, this place doesn't have fantastic English, but definitely enough to get by and they were very helpful whenever we needed anything. The rooms were tiny, but we only really slept in them as we were out all day. They had everything we needed, including Western toilet, shower/bath, Western bed, television, and tea-making kit. Everything very efficiently stored, though there was barely enough floorspace for our luggage. Free wireless internet in the lobby (ground floor), and a computer that was free to use. So convenient to have a Lawson convenience store right next door so that we could get basic breakfast or drinks easily without having to travel. We also ordered the breakfast at the hotel one day and it was tasty and filling. Japanese style, but nothing very strange or extreme, good price (<1000Yen). Hotel New Izu is also only a 5min walk from Ueno Station (and Ueno park!), where we went most days to then go out to other places, but for being right in the heart of Tokyo, the noise outside is minimal. Ameyokocho arcade with markets and restaurants is only 10min walk away, and Akihabara electric town is about 20min walk away. There is a small park just around the corner as well. Service was great, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go there again if we could get a booking. I would highly recommend it to anyone!!

Room Tip: They are pretty tiny rooms, so I would prepare for that I guess. Noise in between rooms wasn't a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The New Izu is in a quiet area close to the Ueno train stations. We stayed in the Western family room with 4 beds, which was small, but we expected that. My only complaint was that the beds were very hard, and one of the smaller beds was strangely curved. The staff were very helpful, and the Japanese breakfast was quite an adventure. The hotel served our purposes well and was good to our budget. I would recommend it highly to anyone who needs a small hotel in a good location that will not break the bank.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Northern California
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The New Izu Hotel is about an 8 minutes walk to the JR Ueno station where there are many lines serving all of Tokyo and beyond. The Keisei Ueno station is a block away from that station for the 40 minute ride to/from Narita International Airport -- very convenient.

The hotel itself is a standard Japanese business/tourist style hotel. It's not "new" as the name implies and can use some updating, but it's clean and staffed with helpful English-speaking front desk personnel. There is a 24-hour convenience store right next door for drinks, snacks, smokes, etc. The Japanese-style room is tiny so if you need a little more room, I suggest you look into their Western-style rooms. Did not opt for the meals the hotel offered since there were plenty of great places to dine around the train station. In the lobby, there is free use of wi-fi, PC and a massage chair. We were still able to get wifi in the room but not sure if it was the hotel's; didn't see a LAN port in the room.

In our tatami mat room, there was a tiny LCD TV with maybe a dozen programs all in Japanese. Be careful not to click those yellow Pay-per-View buttons on the Japanese remote or you might be in for a minute or two of adult programming preview (the kids are still giggly about me trying to find the button to turn it off :-) The fridge was mini and probably can accommodate about 10 bottles of water. Futons were clean and sufficient but pillow was a little stiff. Recommend to avoid the futon rooms if you've got back issues.

Overall, a very nice stay. Only wished we had a little more space in the room but we knew it was going to be tight. Would stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ikodikomi
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights. The location is very good becuz it 's located in area of JR Ueno station. You can walk in just 3 minutes to get the hotel. Although the room size is as standard as the other Japanese hotel, the price is cheaper and more reasonable. The cleanliness was so good. I slept very well in my room. And there is a massage armchair in common room, You could enjoy it for Free of charge.

The most impressive thing is STAFFs. They are so kind and sincere to help you in any kind of problem. I had experienced with the earthquake on Friday 11 March. I was alone cuz my boyfriend went to visit his friends in Yokohama. All the staff in New Izu hotel gave me one more night without extra charge. They provided me all the information which I had to have to go back home. They were so sincere, helpful and willing to handle all customer problem while they had such massive problem in their own. I'd like to thank you all staff.

I knew one more thing that we can learn people from the hardest moment when we encounter together. New Izu will never leave me alone and i do so. Thanks

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kaekul
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I was able to get reservations at the New Izu Hotel when I landed at Narita and went to the tourist information counter for help. Those ladies are amazing! Even when I got to my hotel that night, I found a personal note one of them had written on a tour brochure with some advice. They did not lead me astray! The hotel was very affordable-$70 US dollars per night. My TINY western style room (#410) was clean & had everything I needed, including a very tiny bathroom w/ awesome Japanese toilet & miniature soaking tub & shower. What I liked best was the big window I could open out to the fresh air! The hotel does allow smoking, so don't complain if you stay there. My room did NOTsmell of smoke- I had requested non-smoking. There was a patch on the bedspread, which I found charming. I would have liked to try a Japanese style room, but considering my arrival on a 3 day week-end was glad to have a room! It was VERY hard to find the hotel at night, in the falling snow. Fortunately, I had the help of strangers (twice!) and when I finally figured out the HAIWA Bank is right across the street and has a huge sign up high--a great landmark. The neighborhood felt very safe. I walked all around with my luggage when I arrived and the only thing that happened is people helped me. The staff is very nice & I hope someday I can return!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Expect clean rooms, but small. The staff are cheerful and helpful. The rooms are surprisingly quiet.
You get what you pay for here.

The amenities are all here:
There is free wifi in the lobby and free.Internet via LAN cables in the rooms. Laundromat service is available too. plus, there's a free massage chair in the lobby too.

The location is fantastic, especially the high speed trains from Ueno station, including a great connetion to Narita airport.

Be sure to check out the cycle hire around the corner, only 200 yen per day! A great way to see Tokyo.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business