“good value for money”

Ranked #35 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Helsinki, Finland
“good value for money”
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Location is great for first time Tokyo travellers. It took a bit over an hour to get there from Narita with Keisei Skyliner to Ueno. Tokyo Metro station and JR Yamanote station are a few minutes walk from the hotel. Hotel is easy to find with the instructions you get from the hotel and you can use Google street view to familiarize yourself with the street beforehand. The immediate surroundings of the hotel are nice and quiet. Next door is a 24/7 shop and there are plenty of restaurants within a few minutes walk. Within 15 minutes walk there is a huge amount of restaurants, shops and whatever services you might need. Ueno is not an area that specializes in servicing tourists in english, but you'll survive.

Check-in time is 15:00 and we arrived four hours early, however the staff was able to arrange the room for us at 15 minutes notice at no extra cost. After a long night flight this was a really pleasant suprise. The staff is really friendly and helpful. Several staff members speak english so there are no communication problems.

We had the largest room with two semi-double beds and a sofa for our family of four. The room was otherwise comfortable, but it was a bit difficult to fit our clothes and other stuff to the rather small cabinetry. The noisy bathroom fan had problems keeping the humidity level down after four people showering there. Otherwise I have no complaints, everything was clean and all gadgets including air conditioning were working properly.

Based mainly on tripadvisor reviews, I tried first to make reservation to a few other hotels/ryokans, but they were already booked up. New Izu had vacancy and I'm perfectly happy with this choice. I doubt that you can find much better deal for a family trip in Tokyo.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank phvk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
California
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Nestled in the relaxed neighborhood of Ueno, just 2 blocks from a major subway and train station, the New Izu Hotel is perfectly located. Add to that an incredibly friendly staff who bend over backwards to add little touches and make the trip enjoyable, then add in excellently sized rooms with incredibly great bathrooms and good accomodations. At its moderate cost, I'd say it's the best low to mid-range hotel I've seen in Tokyo. A must visit!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ParadoxDruid
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have stayed at the New Izu hotel for twice in the past 2 years as part of a large group visiting Tokyo and i plan to return to this great hotel.

The Japanese style rooms are really great, way more room compared to the western but without the luxury of a real bed. The futons in the Japanese style i found to be extremely comfortable though! You get a fridge, TV and separate private toilet and shower room. All in all it has great rooms and its a great experience.

Secondly as other reviews have picked up on this is in a fantastic location in Tokyo, perfect as a base while on a stay in the city. 45-50 mins to and from Narita airport on the Skyliner train. Its then a matter of taking the overpasses across the roads out front (check out their map on their website and look out for small direction signs i noticed pinned up near the stairs and footpaths. If worst comes to worst give them a call or ask a local. Once you know where it is though its EASY. Brilliant location i really cant stress that more with all the train links a 5-10 min walk away.

There is a 24/7 convenience shop right next to the hotel which sells pretty much everything you could need while at the hotel such as food and snacks and also has a 24/7 cash machine which can be strangely hard to find in tokyo!

Lastly..
The staff here are fantastic and will do everything they can to help you. My first time here i must of arrived 5 or so hours early for check in and they were happy to hold all our luggage until check in time (15 or so of us!) even holding valuables such as backpacks with laptops in a back room. If you are ever stuck or needs directions or information they can point you in the right direction.

The hotel is by no means luxury compared to what else i'm sure is available in Tokyo but for the price and location its simply a no brainer for people looking for friendly, convenient hotel with good travel links around the city and many local attractions too.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Ricky H
Milano
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I stayed in New Izu Hotel twice, in 2007 and 2008.
Very good placed, close to Ueno Station.

Rooms are very small, but clean and comfortable.
Japanese-style are much better, as in small western-style rooms, having furniture, there is not any place to open your luggage other than on the bed :)
In Japanese-style rooms also baths are bigger and more confortable.
A bit claustrophobic. Many rooms have no window or windows face another building less than one feet apart.
You may ask for a room facing the street, that is very quiet!.

There is also a free massage armchair in the hall, ideal after walking all the day around Tokyo.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicus
Benalla, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We stayed at New Izu Hotel for a total of 5 nights at the beginning of December 2008. We would happily recommend it to anyone else traveling on a budget. We had three types of rooms; a single, double and a quad. The single and double were small but the quad was reasonably sized. The rooms were clean and well serviced. We didn’t notice any smell from smoking, although guests did smoke in the lobby downstairs where the internet access is situated. The staff is courteous and friendly, speak English and are very helpful.

We really enjoyed the neighbourhood. We realized on our last day that there is a free or cheap bus service that drives around the Taito area which would have been very useful. For example it virtually goes passed the front door of the hotel and then over to the Asakusa Temple. There is a map in the information stand in the lobby or ask at the front desk for the route.

We caught the Narita Express from the airport to Ueno station very easily. Ueno Station is a major one within walking distance to the hotel. As we travelled with a young child and too many suitcases, we were always looking for the easiest access without stairs – you can do it! It was impossible to see the hotel from the station – you need to cross a major 4 lane- 2 level roadway. Use the map and ask for written directions from the staff. It was a little tricky. If you would like more detail please contact me.

The area is really interesting. We enjoyed the Ameyoko market which included restaurants, fashion shops and McDonalds (for the 6 year old!) We also found a café for a western type breakfast close by. There was a convenience store (Lawson’s) right next door to the hotel. We didn't utilise the restaurant as there was no western options. On our first day we walked to Ueno Park which was close and it is where the Ueno Zoo is situated. We found it easy to access other areas of Tokyo by train including Disneyland and Ginza. If you are heading to Nikko you can catch a train from here easily with a JR Pass.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank miamia10
Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Very good value for location. Close to shopping and transport.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I booked this hotel for 5 days over Christmas almost exclusively because of the recent reviews I had read on this website and I was not disappointed! I made my reservation via email on the New Izu website. I got an immediate email response with options for "Western" twin rooms available when I was to be in Tokyo, including ACCURATE photos of the room choices. I made an appointment via email to call at a time when the most proficient English language speaking staff member was to be on duty. I then called via Skype at pennies per minute to relay my credit card info and was very pleased at the rates offered and the options available. This is not a large hotel so I was very happy to book Room 315 which is a triple room with two extra wide twin beds and a small couch for $115.00 USD per night.

There is no closet or wardrobe but there were hanging hooks in the alcove where the small refrigerator was located. The bathroom was small but adequate - endless hot water and an awesome toilet. It was cold outside several nights and our heat was very comfy as were the beds and the poofy comforters. There was a nice picture window which opened up and looked out on a side street which had some interesting traffic. I am guessing Rooms 215 and 415 were similar to ours - in the corner.

I met my 20-something daughter at Narita Airport and caught the Keisei train to Ueno - about 45 minute ride. The Ueno train station is very close to the New Izu (10 minutes walk with luggage) and very easy to navigate - just be sure to walk all the way across the pedestrian overwalk to the escalator or the elevator if you are lugging your bags to the hotel. I would take a cab next time because it was raining and I was very tired even though it was a short walk - maybe 4 city blocks.

Ueno/Akasusa is a wonderful area to explore without all the big city shopping mania of Tokyo. We found a great little Taito City Loopline bus called the "Megurin" for 100 yen a ride which was easy to catch and followed 3 very scenic routes around and between the two towns. We had a great time in that area, felt very safe (although there is a sizeable population of homeless men near the station and around Ueno Park). We returned to the hotel at odd hours and always were met by cheerful staff and a spotless room.

We did peek in some of the other "Western" rooms close by and I must say there were a couple that were very teeny - one person max - and some that had either no window or the window had a view of a wall or air shaft? I am guessing the streetside rooms like 315 have the best natural light and safety factor as far as window opening to the street. We also looked at the traditional Japanese rooms which have tatami floors and futons - I would be fine with one of those rooms if I were to return to Tokyo (but I am short). They had a big closet/
storage area for luggage and/or clothing.

I must end with the disclosure that I AM a cheap traveler and have stayed in many a youth hostel even though I am in my 50's. This place was not the Hays Hotel in Washington, DC (which is about the nicest place I have stayed) but it was very clean, quiet, & reasonably priced especially for Tokyo area. I have no idea what it would be like in the summer but December is a wonderful time to be there as it is the dry season.

• Liked — Close to public transportaion plus convenience store next door
  • Disliked — plumbing pipes made odd noises at weird times
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cheap_tripper53