“Very nice people :)”
Review of Andon Ryokan

Andon Ryokan
Ranked #8 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I enjoy everything! People - breakfast and the workshops!!!!
You think you are like family! The people there they are so greatfull to help you and they have suggestions for your visits etc.

I really like the privet jakuzzi :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElenaSemfe
andonryokan, マネージャー at Andon Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you very much for your comments! We very appreciate it and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Private jacuzzi is one of the attractions of Andon Ryokan. It's a perfect way to relax after lots of walking in Tokyo!
We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed sharing time with our event!

Hope to see you again in the future. Thank you very much once again.

There are newer reviews for Andon Ryokan

Reviewed 8 June 2014

3 of us spent 4 nights here in May 2014. Overall I found the place has a 'hostel feel'. The staff are very helpful and speak English well (which is a plus compared to many places in Japan). Breakfast was very good and you have a reasonable selection from a 'postcard book'. You can also have breakfast on the roof if you are ok climbing the rickety staircase to the roof. There is a communal mixed onsen that you can book out for free, but they require the standard Japanese full nudity (which foreigners may or may not feel comfortable with, especially with friends). The location of this place is good at Minowa, although it is very difficult to find the place on first visit - the side streets are very confusing. Another pro is the service elevator that can be used for moving luggage to higher floors. However, on the negative side, the rooms are extremely small (there is just enough space that you can lie down without sleeping on your suitcase, but no more) and the shower (a separate room from the toilet and sinks) is probably one of the smallest I have ever seen - you have to walk in backwards and shut and clamp the door to 'seal yourself in', otherwise you will wake everybody else up with the shower noise. The staircases, over-use of metal and tiny toilets induce claustrophobia too. Overall, I might consider Andon again when visiting Tokyo, but will also consider other places too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jason F
andonryokan, マネージャー at Andon Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you very much for giving us your comments. We appreciate it.

At first, We apologize for the size and noise that cause you uncomfortable stay in our ryokan.
Our ryokan style is unique and one of a kind; mix of modern guest house and Japanese traditional ryokan.Concept of our ryokan is to provide guests an experience to stay in Japanese style rooms for the reasonable price.
Our rooms are rather small, we only have a room to sleep after lay out a futon.
Our ryokan is suits for the guests who want to enjoy sight seeing out side and come back to sleep. Because of our small room size compare to other Ryokan, our ryokan is not for guests who want to stay to rest in large and quiet room. Since we have small rooms and have to share public spaces with other guests, we encourage our guests to interact with Andon staffs and other guests.

We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well.
Andon staffs cook breakfasts in front of our guests to serve warm breakfasts.
And also we are happy that you liked having breakfast on the roof top.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A great modern Ryokan with cool and friendly staff. The list of positives could be made long, but the things that really distingish Andon from other budget accomodations is the awesome staff, cool modern design and quiet yet good location. Free flow decent quality green tea is a plus. We stayed at andon both in the beginning and end of our 6 week trip and it was without doubt one of our best value stays.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joki-san
andonryokan, マネージャー at Andon Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and we are happy that we have got this kind message.

We are glad that you liked our hotel, and enjoyed your stay here.

Thank you very much again for taking the time to write this very kind review.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Had an excellent experience with Andon Ryokan - I was a solo female traveler on a tight budget, and I didn't expect to stay somewhere so cool at my price range. It's not a traditional ryokan - I think it can be more accurately described as the world's fanciest youth hostel. It is very stylish - the tatami mats in the room are very cool. The service is excellent, without being overbearing. The room's are relatively small, even by Japanese standards, but as a solo traveler I had no problem. Breakfast is nice, and doesn't need to be ordered in advance. Its probably worth including it. I had to check out early for a 10am flight, and I had no problems at all. It is very close to Minowa station, which is two stops from Ueno, but the location may be the only drawback. If you are familiar with London, it is probably the equivalent of staying somewhere like Upper Holloway/Finsbury Park. Tip: It can be quite difficult to find from the station because it is on a residential street. Make sure you have the address written in Japanese! I had to ask directions. There are good directions on the website, but I followed google maps which took me an incredibly roundabout route. Overall, I had a great experience and I would recommend for another solo traveler like myself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank orthostice1989

Thank you very much for your comments! We very appreciate it .
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.

We try to give our guests useful information to make their stay in Japan wonderful all the time. However, at same time we also learn a lot from our guests!!

Thank you very much once again for staying with us and sharing wonderful time together .

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights (and received a discount for the long stay) in April 2014. The location near Asakusa in North Tokyo was good because it is an inexpensive area where you get an insight into the everyday life of local Tokyo people. For example, there are a lot of old style sento (public baths) in the area. The hostel is a five minute walk from a subway station and there are also local buses. The hostel has been purpose designed as a hostel in Japanese style. It is not however what would generally be called a Ryokan. There are certain standards for a Ryokan, for example futon turn-down service and usually dinner - which Andon Ryokan does not have. Just because a place is in the Japanese style does not mean it is a Ryokan. There seems to be a few places in Tokyo catering mostly to tourists and calling themselves Ryokan - which would not be Japanese standards be considered a Ryokan.

The breakfast was quite nice and good value. It does not need to be booked in advance. The staff were generally friendly and helpful. The 4th floor bath was a great surprise and highlight. A washing machine, dryer and detergent are available very cheaply.

The draw backs were that the walls were so thin that it was rather noises even though we had once of the quieter rooms (second floor away from the staircase and bathrooms). The rooms were the smallest we had in Japan. The internet was very slow in our room so that it was really only possible to use it in the cafe on the ground floor.

This hostel is reasonable value however because of some of the drawbacks I will probably look elsewhere for my next visit to Tokyo.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Schmoo83

Thank you very much for giving us your comments. We appreciate it.

Firstly, we would like to apologize for our failure to meet to your expectation.

Sometimes our Wi-Fi can be slow when the time of internet congestion, and this is what we have to improve immediately. And also we have to say sorry for your inconvenience by the noisiness.

We do not serve dinner so that we can keep prices down, and give guests to choose great restaurants nearby our place. This is actually not like standard type of Ryokan as you mention, so we apologize if our explanation on the website was not enough.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Andon Ryokan is in a quiet area, a little off the beaten path. I followed the directions on their website and found them without problem.

The rooms are small, with tatami mats and futon, and decorated in a contemporary style with dark wood. I found it very comfortable, but two people sharing would be very tight. My suitcase fit at the end of the bed. The room was very clean.There's a TV and DVD player in the rooms.

There were no food or vending machines, but they do serve breakfast and have coffee and tea at any time. When I returned late and was hungry, I wish they would have sold some instant noodles or something, so I didn't have to drag myself out to the convenience store.

Their wifi was good and strong. I took advantage of their jacuzzi bath as often as I could. Really nice set-up. The washrooms and toilets were also very clean. The woman's shower on the third floor was a bit tight though.

The staff were very nice and helpful and spoke excellent English. They have activities set up that you can sign-up for like origami lessons and tea ceremony. I was busy sightseeing, so I didn't partake.

The only thing I wish they had was a light switch near the bed.

There's a convenience store about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel is a bit away from the centre of Tokyo, but the price and value and quality of the accommodation made it worth the extra commuting time.

I pre-requested a quiet room, and they put me in the quietest room possible. I really appreciated this. Having said that, this hotel is in a very quiet area. Nice after a day in hectic Tokyo.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking time to write this lovely comments!
We very appreciate it and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.

We are located in the old Tokyo area where is not very center of Tokyo, but there is great atmosphere of local residential neighbourhood as you saw.

Although our rooms are rather small, we always hope our guests to enjoy the experience to stay in small cozy Japanese rooms with comfortable futon on the tatami floor mat.
We will give you an extra light when you would you like to use. So please ask our staff next time.

Please join our events such as Origami workshop, sushi making, Japanese tea ceremony, Travel Japanese lesson and so on, next time!

Thank you very much once again for staying with us.
We are very looking forward to your stay again!!

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Good location, modern style but with traditional elements such as the breakfast nook or the sleeping on mats on the floor. cosy,clean and friendly and helpful staff. Great view from the roof where you can enjoy your breakfast. More adult clientele than your regular hostel. The staff provides you with an area map and can suggest restaurants or activities.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Heffalumpen

Thank you very much for taking time to write comments!

We try to give our guests useful information to make your stay in Japan wonderful, especially information on fun things to do around our neighbors.

We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well.
Andon staffs cook breakfasts in front of our guests to serve warm breakfasts.
And also we are happy that you liked having breakfast on the roof top.

Thank you very much once again for staying with us.
We are very looking forward to your stay again!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Hotel Mystays Asakusa-bashi
THE GATE HOTEL Asakusa Kaminarimon by HULIC
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International
Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku

Been to Andon Ryokan? Share your experiences!