“Budget Room - compact but had everything.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmont Hotel

Belmont Hotel
Ranked #69 of 121 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Bangkok, Thailand
“Budget Room - compact but had everything.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was the smallest room we stayed at in Japan and was clearly the budget end of Tokyo hotels. If all you want is a comfy bed and somewhere to crash then this will suit your requirements.

We wanted to be close to the popular Akihabara area and this hotel was just one stop on the JR line. The hotel is very near a JR station so we found this very convenient for travelling. The hotel area is a business area with a few shops nearby.

Check in was 15:00 but you could leave your bags with reception who were polite and friendly, we paid in cash at check in. Saturday nights in Tokyo are usually a lot more expensive, we paid 13400 for Friday night and 18900 for Saturday night. It was summer vocation and finding a room on Saturdays can be difficult.

The room was very small only one person could walk around at a time and the bathroom was what you would get in a caravan…very small. However it was surprisingly comfortable and had everything, the air conditioning worked well, the beds were very comfy, the free wi-fi was fast, the shower strong and hot.

My only gripe was the 10am checkout with high additional charges for later checkouts. Service was the usual Japanese standard with towels arriving back at my room before me after I had asked for some more at reception.

A good cheap base to explore Tokyo.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bkkmegabob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Thai first
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,150 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed at the Belmonte for 1 night January 2014 with my partner in a double. The hotel is about 2 minute walk from JR asakusabashi station although it is tucked down a alley – to get here via JR you will usually have to switch lines to the Yamanote at line for 1 stop at Akihabara. We paid around 13000 yen for memory at the desk (not through a booking company). It is largely marketed as a business hotel, although it has opened up to Western tourists.

PROS
- Staff were friendly and accommodating
- Rooms were clean
- Although not located in the centre of Tokyo, train station is close and isn’t too far to travel to other more popular suburbs
- 24 hour staffed lobby

CONS
- Check in time of around 1600 was highly inconvenient, although the staff can hold onto your bags in storage while you do other things
- Rooms were of good size but became claustrophobic with the addition of a ridiculous amount of pointless furniture such as 2 desks and a coffee table with 2 chairs by the bedside which was very annoying to have to get around.
- Appears similar to a business hotel that has since become outdated.
- No laundry in hotel but a map can be provided to a nearby one
- Wifi didn’t reach the rooms and had to use this in the lobby
- Given the above I didn’t feel this place represented good value

CONCLUSION
Felt for the price this hotel didn’t offer great value and I feel better options are available, even in the markedly overpriced Tokyo accommodation scene.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rowan H
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I went to Japan during May-June and I had ten days stay in Tokyo. Getting to the hotel from Narita airport wasn't too hard as I took the train service to Oshiage Sky Tree station and then headed to Asakusabashi. It was a little hard to find at first but I had a local help me locate it. I arrived and had to wait until the afternoon for the room to be ready but they let me put bags and my suitcase into storage, I changed and headed out to Akihabara for a bit. The hotel had a lot of business functions going on but I loved the area. If you are a cosplayer, it is a great hotel as the wig and cosplay shop Zephyr is literally around the corner along with their photoshoot studio. It's in a good position to travel around Tokyo as you just need to take one stop to Akihabara and then you can reach most of the main locations. Akihabara was one of the main places I wanted to be near by and it's literally 2 minutes on the train to get there. Word of warning though, to get up the steps into the station at Asakusabashi there is no lift and it's all mostly stairs. It was a bit of hair work with my suitcase. In the area there is also a 7/11 to get money out with foreign cards along with lots of places to get food and a Burger King that's a 6 minute walk away from the hotel. While I was there though there seemed to be some festival stuff happening and was a little loud in the morning but was fun to watch. In terms of staff and the room, it was a little small but enough for me and my things. The staff seemed friendly too. They don't have a laundry service but gave me a map to find a coin laundrette nearby. It was a little hard to find but after asking some people in shops I managed to get there. The air conditioning was also good quality and something I needed being around there in June! The internet was also a good speed though I may recommend bringing your own cable to connect up as the one they provide is a little short. Overall for the price I was quite happy as I know it was going to be hard to find a really cheap hotel in Tokyo that didn't sacrifice things like a private shower. The location was very good for me and they had lots of convenient stores in the area to keep my fridge stocked up.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Akibaranger
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

tokyo was the first stop on our honeymoon. after hours travelling and jet lag I was less than impressed with the hotel. cost 22000yen from airport to hotel firstly then the room was tiny with mould on the ceiling and needed a good clean. staff couldn't have been nicer when we asked to change rooms but they were full and were very apologetic.felt was more catered to buisness users.was easy to get about from hotel to all main attractions. if in Tokyo again I would spend a bit extra for a nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed at the Belmont for 2 weeks in July 2013. Okay, the hotel does seem to cater for mainly business users, but I cannot praise it enough. The staff were all brilliant and did everything they could to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. Nothing was too much trouble - from changing the contents of the set breakfast menu, to writing out directions for the subway.

Although the rooms are on the small side, even the twin, this is compensated for by the daily housekeeping and standard of cleanliness. The rooms were small but functional. The bathrooms were typical Japanese - multi function toilets included! The shower was particularly fierce and you have to adjust the flow to avoid over-spray, this added to the quirkiness of the Japanese bathing experience.

When we visited it was extremely hot and humid. The air conditioning was on full blast and was fab. We all ate in the hotel on a few occasions, the meals we ate were mainly Western and they were lovely. The restaurant was reasonably priced - no difference to the other places we ate in the city. The breakfast was generous and there was a choice of 6 set meals, including Japanese and more western orientated dishes.

The hotel is located in a more business orientated area, so not a lot of clubs and pubs. However, there were a number of eateries nearby ranging from budget fast food to more formal dining. Wa-ta-mi on the Main Street was a particular favourite - mainly Japanese menu but there were a number of dishes that were western in style. It wasn't overly expensive and the service and food were excellent.

I would heartily recommend the Belmont for those travellers who want a comfortable base to explore the city. The subway and JR stations nearby are literally 2 mins walk from the hotel and give full access to all the city.

I would definitely use the Belmont again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Twin room gives a little more space than a small double
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

I just came back with a group of friends from Japan from 15/03/13 till 23/03/13. Its our first trip to Japan so we were kinda of worry about the trip and esp accommodation.

However the hotel turn out to be pretty good. Despite being a 3 star hotel the service is actually a 4-5 star service. The staff are very nice and despite the language barrier (They cant speak English very well except for one of the staff.), they help us out by showing us the places where we can see Cherry Blossom etc

However you are not abled to capture wifi other than lobby though some of us are able to get signals while at our room.

Other than that we are very happy about our stay in the hotel and we will surely be glad to stay there again :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Reishartz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had been on a trip which included staying in some small and basic hostels and Tokyo was the last city on this trip. I cannot express the relief and joy upon finding the hotel and discovering our room. It is kept extremely clean by maid services running every morning. You are provided with slippers and a kimono (per guest) which are actually extremely comfy! Our room had a double bed and a sofa which was nice as it was just beside a window which overlooked the Kanda river which had some riverboats on it.
Its located a five minute walk from the Asakusabashi metro and train stations. From here you can get anywhere in and around Tokyo. I'd definitely recommend getting a unlimited daily pass for under 1000 yen which will allow you to travel as much as you like through stations.
The nearest station to Asakusabashi is Akihabara, the large electrical town which is just mind blowing. Arcades, amusements huge electrical department stores and tons upon tons of manga/anime/pop culture shops. Really best experienced at night to fully comprehend the scale of the lights and giant screens. If you go the opposite way, away from Akihabara, you are also one stop away from Asakusa, which is the stop for the famous Senso-Ji Temple.
Everything else is never too far away from the location where the hotel is.
All in all, a great hotel which was extremely comfortable, clean and pleasant to spend time in in a location which was perfect for seeing all the sites Tokyo has to offer without having to travel far at all. You will definitely use lots of metro rides but ts a big city so if you want see it all, it's gotto be done. And the Tokyo metro system is a joy to ride anyway. Never wait long for a train to arrive, the trams are clean and the people are so polite and friendly that it makes you wonder how similar systems in London and Moscow always seem so stressful and uncomfortable. They could learn a lot from Tokyo's system.
Would defninitly recommend the hotel and we'd stay in it again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple