“Perfect 10/10”

Ranked #13 of 63 Speciality lodging in Taito
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Perfect 10/10”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have been in Japan for a couple of mouths now and this is by far the best place I stayed in and the price was really good as well every was perfect the staff where really friendly I would stay there again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sorrow256
サクラホステル浅草, at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you very much for your nice review.
We are very very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see you again sometime!
Thank you so much for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I will start by saying I stayed in the Sakura Hostel for 6 days after having been in Kyoto for 6 days previously in various capsule hotels.

When I first arrived I had been travelling all day to get to Tokyo and was exhausted the hostel staff was very patient and accommodating regarding my late arrival but when I got to Asakusa I found the directions given on the website very confusing, as I am a foreigner I do not have a working mobile in Japan (only here for two weeks) so was unable to ring the hostel for directions and had to end up spending 1,000 yen and half an hour trying to get a taxi driver to understand where I was going even though I didn't even understand where I was going!! Not exactly something you want I deal with when your tired!

When I arrived I was admittedly very underwhelmed with the state of the hostel it is in need of a update as some parts including the dorms look very run down, on arrival I was told I had to give a 1,000 yen deposit for my key card this was not mentioned in any corresponding emails between the hostel and I before my arrival and was also told I am provided a locker within my room but I have to purchase a lock & key myself but they can provide one for 230-300 yen I forget the exact amount. By this point I was so exhausted and drained I paid for everything but felt annoyed that they charge on the little things that you would assume would be included, almost as if they need to make more money because the actual room is so cheap per night.

At the time I feel maybe I was being a bit over dramatic because of the sleep deprivation and exhaustion but I cannot put into words my sense of panic at the room I was staying in for 6 days and the SMELL!!! I was in a mixed dorm and as soon as I walked in the stench of old sweat was overpowering!!! There were two bunks with a sign saying they were free but they evidently weren't because people had their things all over them, all the other bunks also looked occupied so I had to go back down to Reception to ask where my bed is, the guy had to come back up with me and move someone else's things off my bed and kept saying usually the bed is made up nicer than this because my new bed was effectively pre-lived in.

Now as a solo female traveller on her first trip to Japan this was all very upsetting I wanted to curb costs regarding accommodation but never realised how much the standard would be lowered by doing so, I was in the top bunk I was given fresh sheets to put on top of the mattress and I have to question how often the blanket provided and duvet cover on the duvet is washed because it didn't smell great!!!
In the interests of honesty I was contemplating moving to a hotel the next day but decided to stick it out and in fairness I am glad I did because the location, for me, is the only redeeming feature it is right next to everything and once you have navigated how to get to/from Asakusa Station using your own method everything becomes simpler.

I have to comment that being on the top bunk you are seriously lacking space for things whereas on the bottom you have floor space etc. be careful of your things I had a packet of face wipes fall out of my bunk and the girl below took them for her own and I had a pair of socks go missing which seems a awfully strange thing to steal.. But still..

In regards to the shared bathroom the showers are wonderful but sharing with all the other women is not great, every morning there were black hairs everywhere and the sink area was always soaked which isn't the hostel's fault but just a running theme there that people lack consideration, on my final day the communal hair dryer had been taken to god knows where so I wasn't allowed access to it.

The rooms all have card key access only so you do in some respects feel safer but be warned people are inconsiderate when you sleep unzipping suitcases, chatting loudly, banging about etc. so by the end of 6 days I gave up being considerate myself.

Never tried the breakfast on offer but for 300 yen what I did see it wasn't worth it.

Hostel keeps your luggage on the basement floor when you check out and there are cameras which is a plus.

One final remark I will say is since staying there I have developed a strange rash on my ankles, inside of arms and elbows which is very itchy I presume this is from the bedding because I was completely fine in Kyoto.

In my opinion if you can afford it stay in a better hostel or at least spring for a hotel if not then stay here by all means because it is only a bed you really need when it comes to Tokyo but adjust your expectations and realise its the location you should be most happy for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you very much for your detailed review.
We are more than sorry to hear that you had so many inconveniences while staying here.
It sounds like a lot of things went different than they should usually go. We can not apologize enough for the inconveniences.
As for the smell in the room. That of course always depends on the persons in the room. The windows in the room can be opened so that everybody has the chance to let fresh air in.
Nevertheless do we apologize for that too, since it should not smell in the room. The duvet and covers are washed on a regular basis. Maybe we have to add additional washing sessions for this if they have a bad smell to them.
Regarding the rash you were talking about, that would be the first case if that we actually hear about, so we doubt that it was coming from our bed sheets. However we do understand that you are thinking that way. We do hope that it the rashes disappeared very soon and that you feel better.

We can only repeat ourselves and apologize for the many inconveniences.
We are truly sorry and hope you had a good time in Tokyo regardless these negative aspects.
We can assure you that this will not happen a second time.
Thank you for staying with us and we still hope to be able to show you that this was no usual occurrence sometime in the future.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at this hostel. It is conveniently located near Asakusa station and near the beautiful sensoji temples. The staff was nice and helpful, the rooms were clean, bathrooms were clean. The common room was very relaxing. The wifi was free but a little slow at times. All in all i recommend this hostel to anybody

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jsan2014
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you very much for your nice review.
We are really happy to hear that you liked the area and our hostel!
We sincerely apologize for the at times slow wifi. We are actually in the process of upgrading it to a faster line.
We thank you again very much for staying with us and we really hope that you will come and visit us again sometime!
Incheon, South Korea
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just stayed 3 days but it wasn't inconvenience anything.
But location is so comlicated from ASAKUSA station.
The staffs are very kindly, and all of facilities are very clean and good.
I hope that if I go to Japan again, I will visit here surely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hyunjeong K
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you very much for your review!
We are more than happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We know that it can be hard to find the way though Asakusa, if you are lost next time, call us and we will guide you here.
Thank you again very much for staying at Sakura Hostel Asakusa.
We hope that you will stay here again when you will come back to Japan, too!
Reviewed 27 February 2014

second time i stay here, this was as good as the first
but need curtains for all bunk beds :)
staff was very helpful and charming
and hostel is close to lots of stores, restaurants and sightseeings!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mariana C
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review!
We are always happy to hear that our customers enjoyed their stay here.
Yes we are actually changing the beds one at a time, so we will have curtains on more beds. It gives our guests a little more privacy, you are right.
We are pleased to hear that you liked the really japanese Asakusa area!
Thank you very much again for staying at Sakura Hostel Asakusa.
We hope you will come and visit us again!
Then, of course, in a bed with curtains.
Reviewed 18 February 2014

-Let's be honest, how long are you going to stay inside when there is Tokyo to explore? This hostel was pretty cheap. I went with a group of 15 high school students and 2 adults. The rooms we got were 3 dorm-style with 3 bunks (total of 6 beds). Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the stay. One thing that stinks, though, was the internet. Free computers to use were in the lobby, but those things were incredibly slow. They are okay for sending a message or two (which could easily take a half hour), but not for doing really anything else. But I am not really going to complain much about this because I didn't really need to use the internet.
-I was surprised how clean the shared bathroom/showers were.. Or maybe I wasn't too surprised, because Japan is so clean with this kind of stuff!
-I didn't buy any of the food here, although I did take a slice of pizza from someone, and it was pretty good. For breakfast, I just walked to the FamilyMart and got a boiled egg, yogurt, some milk and various other things.
-While we stayed here we just took the subways to Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akihabara, and Odaiba. Even though the hostel is located in Asakusa, we didn't really do much here, but you have to walk through pretty much the heart of Asakusa to get to and from the subway.
-If I go back to Japan, I will definitely consider coming here again. The people here are so friendly, and it is a great way to meet other people from all over the world with possible similar interests!
-If it is your first time going to Tokyo, I would say a week isn't even enough to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maddie A
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for your nice and detailed review!
And we totally agree with you on the bad internet connection, which is why we bought new routers and installed them everywhere in the hotel. So from now on, our guests can have internet in the whole building! We hope you can make use of that the next time you will stay here.
You are right, only by walking to the station you get to see the most famous places of Asakusa already. But actually Asakusa has more to offer that just the few things you see there.
Maybe you can explore more of it sometime.
We thank you again very much for staying with us.
We really hope to see you again sometime!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

After do my Tokyo- Osaka-Hiroshima- Kyoto- Tokyo JR train trip Asakusa,Tokyo is my last stayed in Japan. I got to tell you guys everywhere in Japan is awesome and fun! But for western backpacker unfortunately about accommodation a bit small for you guys. Apart from that about Japan cultural is like clean and neat so even I'd had stayed in this backpacker hostel it is small and very cheap as well. Hey guys! I've got to say this hostel close to everything you need! Skytree, asakusa temple,asakusa market street especially Asakusa market street,only 5 min walk from there to your sakura hostel. About 8 min walk to main train station,free internet( my favorite) and food everywhere and grocery heaps of fun.if you don't want spend to much money and want have fun as well I'm definitely recommended sakura hostel.don't forget if you having a meal in shop if the owner ask you how is the food? Just say," oshi" with your tumb up~ "kapei"( cheer)

• Stayed March 2013
サクラホステル浅草, at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review!
Everything in Japan is a little smaller than in western countries hm? That's true.
It sounds like you explored Asakusa pretty well! We are more than happy to hear that you had fun here.
We really hope to be able to welcome you again sometime!

Thank you so much for staying with us!