All reviewstawaramachi stationsensoji templetea setseparate toilet and showersingle roomfridge and microwaveryokan feelsmall tvginza lineyen shopprivate roomfew minutes walkdon quijotespoke very good englishbefore check in timetourist spotssushi
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Room reaked of mold, the smell was unbearable. Not worth the price, even though its a good location. It's been two days since my stay and my throat still hurts from the mold. The bathroom is small and had a strong odor as well. I have stayed in many budget hostels across the world, and this was easily the worst.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Allison N
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, the location proved to be the hotel's best feature. Our room was coated in mold and smelled horrible. We could not sleep due to odor and allergic reactions to mild. We had to sleep in surgical masks. Not worth it, stay elsewhere

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Linda N
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff speak English and are helpful, the rooms are basic but clean, and most importantly, for me anyway, it is nice and quiet. The location is excellent, in a traditional residential area that stays open till 1am or later with restaurants and bars and so on (guess not so traditional). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank The-Happy-Traveller0
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This cute/small ryokan was perfect for my 3 night stay, off-season - polite staff (English speaking staff was hit-or-miss), but I had a clean private Japanese-style room (with a comfy futon), reasonable rate, free wifi and a GREAT location. It is just a few blocks away from a maze of incredible food places (behind the multi-level Rox department store), 7/11 and ither convenience stores, Sensoji (Asakusa Kannon Temple)/Nakamise area and a 40 minute leisurely stroll to Ueno Park. Plan for longer if you wish to stop along Kappabashi Street - you will find everything for your kitchen and some of the best knives and cleavers...
The Tawaramachi station is strongly recommended (easy to navigate to and from - bring and follow the clear instructions on the online map). Please keep in mind that the area is old and elevators and escalators are scarce, prepare yourself for a lengthy stair climb to street level from the subway platform.

Room Tip: Email Toukaisou directly and tell them your preferences. They responded ro my questions promptly, professionally and in English!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
浅草旅館東海荘, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Asakusa Hostel Toukaisou, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us and wonderful review.

We hope to see you again near future.

Toukaisou staff.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I had been prepared the trip to Tokyo and searched for a hostel located near metro and I found randomly Asakusa Ryokan Toukaisou. My first impression was that they replied promptly my email and they could arrange one private room for 6 persons (3 bunk beds) with cheap price compared to other Ryokans in Tokyo. At first, one of my friends was not comfy when I told her that the bathroom is shared with the others. When we arrived there, the receptionist spoke English quite well and the place was clean, also the bathroom and toilet. I would like to recommend this place for anyone who will visit Tokyo. Plus, it's located near Senso-ji temple only 5 minute-walk, one of the most popular attractions in Tokyo as well. Around there, there are Rox department store and Don Quijote (Donki) in which they sell almost everything.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends