All reviews tawaramachi station tea set sensoji temple separate toilet and shower ryokan style room single room fridge and microwave ryokan feel popular attractions small tv ginza line asakusa area private room don quijote quiet side street your luggage sushi
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed there at very cheap price in such an expensive Tokyo. Staff were very helpful, fluently speaking English. The bathrooms and common room were clean & home-like atmosphere. We could access the internet free of charge by the PC in common room.
It locates just a few minutes walk from Asakusa station, Sensoji and a flea market in which we could buy a lot of Japanese souvenirs. The location is good with a lot of small good restaurants around including Japanese and international food.
Minus:
- Rooms were super-small & dark, they looked old even though the common room was great.
- There were no places to enjoy after 9pm around there except for Don Quixote Supermarket which opens 24hrs. No bars, no coffee shops. You need to take trains to Shibuya or Ginza if you want some interesting places to play at night.
*** Note: if you shop in Don Quixote, remember to show your passport at check-out to enjoy tax-free prices. We didn't know so we didn't show but my friend living in Japan said so after that (sad T_T). I share here just in case.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Chi M
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've already stayed in this place 3 times before this and I've always returned to spent at least few nights in there. Rates are good for Tokyo and staff is friendly and speaks also English. Location is quiet, and there are many convenient stores and one 24 h supermarket nearby. Rooms are clean and basic, each has air conditioning. During summer time some rooms might have a bit of humid odour, but I haven't find it too much disturbing.

The only "problem" might be, that ryokan is located in Asakusa which is quite faraway from most popular shopping and nightlife areas (like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Takadanobaba...), but Yamanote loop-line is located in Ueno just 2 stops from Tawaramachi station.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Lmi555
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Room reaked of mold, the smell was unbearable. Not worth the price, even though its a good location. It's been two days since my stay and my throat still hurts from the mold. The bathroom is small and had a strong odor as well. I have stayed in many budget hostels across the world, and this was easily the worst.

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Allison N
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, the location proved to be the hotel's best feature. Our room was coated in mold and smelled horrible. We could not sleep due to odor and allergic reactions to mild. We had to sleep in surgical masks. Not worth it, stay elsewhere

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
8  Thank Linda N
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff speak English and are helpful, the rooms are basic but clean, and most importantly, for me anyway, it is nice and quiet. The location is excellent, in a traditional residential area that stays open till 1am or later with restaurants and bars and so on (guess not so traditional). I would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: May 2014