The Pilgrims at Lovington
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
George Hotel(Castle Cary)
US$134
Priceline
US$119
US$91
The Ilchester Arms Hotel(Ilchester)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$125
US$111
Horse Pond Inn(Castle Cary)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewssally and joolsfantastic foodscallopswalk in showerroll top bathblack puddinghigh standardbreadlovely placefood is locally sourcedhuge bathcomfy bedup to datea real treatour wedding anniversarystayed here for one nightcould not have been more
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have just returned from a night away from the kids at the Pilgrims Rest. Absolutely brilliant. The place itself admits to being "not the prettiest", and I must admit my husband and I did wonder whether we'd made the right choice when we pulled up in the car park. Any doubts we had were soon alleviated. The rooms are not perhaps the cosiest, but are finished to a high standard with the comfiest bed and most luxurious bathroom. The proprietors are welcoming and attentive. The food was amazing, the most delicious meal I have had in a long time and my husband agreed. The whole night was just what we needed, a real break and a wonderful experience, especially if you like food!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The relaxed, warm welcome from Sally is remarkable because she genuinely will do everything in her power to make your stay comfortable but equally, if you want to be left alone and just pitch up for meals, that's fine too. Because the rooms are reached through the back gate from the car park you don't feel that you are disturbing anyone and that is very liberating. Jools' food is so good that it's no hardship to book in for dinner every night and then roll back to one's room like a contented little butterball - and then there are the breakfasts! Oh my, the best yogurt I have ever tasted, scrumptious home-made granola, fabulous Orchard Pig apple juice (and others), Jools' home-made bread and the cooked dishes. Seriously, they should hand out Weight Watchers leaflets as you leave. Instead, Jools gave me his bread and granola recipes plus a loaf to take
home - you can't get much kinder than that. A really lovely couple who deserve it all (and the rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean to boot). Go!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Pilgrims at Lovington was a bit of a surprise to us. Perhaps because we had not read the website sufficiently carefully, we had been expecting a traditional country inn. In fact the original property has been extended to provide a line of ground floor bedrooms. Our room was very contemporary in feel. Indeed some might feel that it was too close to the feel of a large modern hotel, though this may be an unfair judgement as we had an impression that our room was not the most attractive as we booked late and took the two singles room rather than the doubles. But, it must be emphasised that although the room was a long way from being traditional and might not be to everyone's taste, it was perfectly warm and comfortable.

The food in the restaurant was certainly of a very good standard indeed. It might be characterised as up-market gastro-pub. We enjoyed it very much and the breakfast that followed the next morning. The service was friendly though there was a small sense that our hostess was hard-pressed, but it is to her credit that she remained imperturbable and everything arrived in good time and order.

If in the area we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Firstly, I would like you to know we are fussy people when it comes to where we stay and I am a very hard to please eater, as I cook and bake at home everyday. So, The Pilgrim was from our first step into the cosy bar with a log fire burning, a lovely surprise. Sally the owner welcomed us with her warm and cosy personality, making us feel right at home. She even made us a cup of tea while we settled into our room and when she found out I was dairy intolerant she sent out for Almond milk for my hot drinks and breakfast.... The room was luxury...deep soft mattress king size bed, with Egyptian cotton sheets and sumptuous duvet and pillows. The bathroom was amazing with a wet room rain shower and roll top bath and beautifully tiled; it was one of the cleanest bathrooms I've ever had the pleasure of using! Now onto the restaurant for the food...........I am a foodie, I am also intolerant of dairy and eggs and I am also one of those annoying people that thinks she can cook something better at home than pay for it at a restaurant..........Well, Jools is a wonderful chef and gave my tastebuds (and waistline) a run for their money! On the first night I had the black pudding and scallops which were delicious and just the right size for a starter, followed by Hake and Puy lentils and organic local veg. I had no room for a desert so tried some of Sally's home made salted chocolates, delicious!!! On the second night I had the Pigeon to start which I have not had before and it was superb, followed by the Monkfish and Scallops which I could not finish as it was such a large main course. I did squeeze in the apple crumble though :) My husband who gets totally spoilt at home anyway, loved, loved and loved all of the food he had too; especially the Rack of lamb which was cooked to perfection. Breakfast is also another experience, with the full monty, home made granola, home made breads and again big portion sizes too. All in all staying and eating at this lovely establishment I could not recommend enough...you will not be disappointed. Thank you Sally and Jools for such an amazing weekend...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed for one night last weekend.

There are two things we love about the Pilgrims. The first is that everything is done to the highest standard but in a down to earth, non fussy way. White Egyptian cotton bedding, bathrobes, a torch and umbrella for late night walks to the pub, saffron sauce at dinner, toast from homemade bread at breakfast. Little touches that make all the difference.

The second is it's consistency. Staff are always friendly and attentive, the food is freshly cooked and great quality. You always know that whatever you order, you'll get the best ingredients cooked to perfection. At the end of service, the chef comes out to chat, a lovely opportunity to talk about the food/ingredients etc

In response to the last review; the scallops are amazing, cooked to perfection. Portion sizes spot on, you leave satisfied without being stuffed (and we are foodies!).

Whenever we get a (rare and valued) child free night away, we always carefully consider where to go. We always end up here, that says it all!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple