“'A perfect base for a week-end break'”
Review of Greystones House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castle Cary
Greystones House
Ranked #5 of 8 Castle Cary B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My two sisters, my husband and I all stayed at Greystones for a family wedding nearby. This was the second time we had been, and on both occasions we could not have asked for more. Mrs Hoare welcomed us with cups of tea AND cake, which was just what we wanted having driven from Norfolk! Our room was delightful, double aspect so very light and airy, and with TWO vases of fresh flowers which enhanced the already very pretty room. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and everything worked perfectly. The breakfast was delicious, we were offered anything we liked, all cooked to order, plus fresh raspberries and yoghurt and hot croissants. I am really hoping that we have another occasion to stay there as you simply could not better it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Greystones House

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We arrived at Greystones un- announced having tried for accommodation in the area for the previous 3 hours. There was some doubt as to wether there was a room available as the lady already had it booked for the following day with an early check at 10 am! However she said if we did not mind vacating early, before 9am, we could stay as that would give her time to service the room for the people coming in. We were invited into the lounge and given a tea tray with chocolate brownies and she joined us to chat for at least 1/2 an hour. The house was a beautiful old country farmhouse but did look a bit tired in places but beautifully clean and all amenities you might need. The bed was wonderful a good firm mattress with a beautiful soft topper that you seemed to float on! We were invited to use the lounge for the evening even though we had a tv in the room. Breakfast was a full cooked English spread which filled us for the days activities. I highly recommend this B & B just don't study the older parts of the building too closely!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is one of my most memorable stays while travelling, ever (and I've travelled a lot)! The house and the room we stayed in were beautiful and provided the ultimate English country side setting. There was a lot of care and really nice finishing touches, for example, when we arrived home after a wedding, the curtains had been drawn closed and there was fresh water left on the bedside table for us. It was such a comfortable stay that I would have liked to have stayed a lot longer. The breakfast is really delicious too!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5Diana, Owner at Greystones House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our B&B. It was lovely to meet a couple from 'down under' and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I do hope you enjoyed your visit to Bath too.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

A beautiful house, and lovely (huge!) room - elegant, comfortable and well-equipped. Delicious breakfast in a proper Georgian dining room - a very superior full English, plus cereal, yogurt, home-made jams etc.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay in this area, I would definitely recommend Greystones. I've previously stayed at Pilgrims in the same village, which is perfectly nice but, for about the same price, Greystones is much nicer in every respect.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5Diana, Owner at Greystones House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Thank you Laurie very much for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found it elegant, spacious and comfortable. It was nice to meet you both and I hope you will come again sometime on a happier occasion.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Staying at Greystons was the best!
A beautiful, huge, wonderfully comfortable room with everything we needed ... gorgeous crisp white bed linen; we slept like logs.
Then a delicious breakfast in the dining room, fire blazing, was, we felt, Somerset's answer to Downton Abbey!
A wonderful experience. Thank you for looking after us so beautifully. We will return!

Room Tip: I believe Greystones only offer one room for B & B - and I don't think it can be bettered so...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5Diana, Owner at Greystones House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. So glad you enjoyed your stay and found it a spoiling experience! We were pleased that you managed to use the tennis court too and do hope you will come and stay again.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

This lovely house, although not in Hampshire, reminded me more than anything of the home of Jane Austen's heroine Elizabeth Bennett. My mother and I could have been sitting in Mrs Bennet's dining room as we had our DELICIOUS breakfast of grapefruit and rhubarb and scrummy bacon, marmalade and honey. The beds were lovely and the linen luxurious. The roses were trying to climb in the window, the lovely arranged wild flowers in the room were typical of the care and attention and understated warm welcome given by Mrs Hoare. This B&B comes highly recommended - you will feel you have had a trip to the past as well as to lovely countryside.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jojs
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed at Greystones house for 2 nights whilst visiting my sister and without doubt this was the most comfortable and friendly B & B I can remember. Greystones house is situated in Lovington just opposite the Lovington Ice-cream head office. My bedroom was large with the most comfortable kingsize bed with soft pillows and wonderful linen. The bathroom was ensuite with big bath and proper shower overhead. Lovely big bath towels and good products for the bath with copious amounts of hot water. The views from the enormous windows are lovely overlooking the garden and it makes for a peaceful stay.
The breakfasts were absolutely delicious - I had porridge both days which was the best ever and it was served with cream and brown sugar - great for the waistline! Diana Hoare makes her own fruit compote and really good marmalade and everything is served beautifully on bone china and tea in a silver teapot but with no fuss! There is also a very good restaurant called Pilgrims within walking distance where we had dinner so on Summer nights you don't have to take the car out! I can't wait for my next visit to the West Country so I can stay at Greystones!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5Diana, Owner at Greystones House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Greystones House B&B. It was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to meeting you again when you next visit your sister.