“Staggeringly brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Vicarage

The Old Vicarage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castle Cary
The Old Vicarage
Ranked #5 of 8 Castle Cary B&B and Inns
london
“Staggeringly brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I am not sure my words could do this justice. If the price was three times what it was I would still say it was value. The rooms are better than Chewton Glen, the welcome included home made sandwiches, cake and proper tea and I swum in their pool in beautiful gardens. Breakfast was so good and I just cannot wait to return.

I think the owners should go into the hotel business and could teach hotels that charge 5 times as much a lesson or two.

If you are staying within 100 miles don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomnewell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights and was very impressed at the level of comfort and the wonderful choice at breakfast. I loved my room with its large brass bed and comfortable bedding. The furnishings were a mixture of antique and oriental and the bedside lights were perfect for reading at night. Very important for me was a good sized dressing table with mirror and plugs for hairdryer just underneath. How many times have I stayed in places with nowhere to do your hair and make-up! The ensuite bathroom had a lovely freestanding bath to relax in and a separate large walk-in shower. Products of all sorts were provided along with tissues and cotton wool and large soft white towels - top marks!

Breakfast was taken either in the large dining room, conservatory or outside on sunny days. The choice was fantastic - freshly made fruit compotes, good choice of yoghurts and cereals, juices and then cooked breakfast anyway you liked all beautifully presented. I was told that Maggie is a fantastic cook by some other guests and as I had other plans I was sad not to sample her cooking! Chris was charming and took my luggage up to my room and down again when I left. They are both incredibly friendly and welcoming and you are offered tea and drinks when you arrive or come back from a day out and about. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Old Vicarage and would stay again on another visit to Somerset.

Room Tip: There are two rooms both of which are large, comfortable and quiet!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank gertrudeLondon
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

A beautiful property with warm and welcoming hosts Maggie & Chris who make sure you have everything you need. My luxurious and sumptuous bedroom was large with beautiful views over the gardens. Maggie cooks a supurb breakfast & welcomes you when you come in from site seeing with tea & coffee and home made cakes. First class accommodation which should not be missed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Carol P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Having found The Old Vicarage at the last minute we were pleasantly surprised as to how wonderful our experience was.

Maggie and Chris Knight were truly wonderful hosts and their house is amazing, it truly is a pleasure to sleep in a four poster bed in a beautiful vicarage.

As we had not organised anywhere to eat we ate with Maggie and Chris and we had exceptional food. My partner is a rather fussy eater and even she was happy (which is always a challenge!)

Overall a lovely experience and we will return should we be in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

1 Thank james g
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

We found this Guest House by chance. A member of Wolsey Lodges,we knew it would be at a good standard. We were in fact unprepared for such a warm welcome by Maggie and Chris Knight. Our room was spectacular, particularly the four poster bed which was so high even I at 2 metres used a foot stool to climb in. We chose to have our evening meal there and it was prepared and served by Maggie and Chris. Superb by any Restaurant's standard and as there is no license we supplied our own wine.They joined us after the meal for coffee and a natter.
The next morning , the luxury continued with a wonderful breakfast, ordered the night before.
As it was raining we were not able to see all the grounds including the swimming pool. but we will leave that for when we return.
A 4*-5* Hotel could not compete, on price,service, atmosphere and cuisine.
Well done The Knights, you have a winner.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the 4 poster
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple