“Good pub, accommodation pretty average”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castle Cary
UK
“Good pub, accommodation pretty average”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The parking here was very limited, difficult to access and leave when there was no space. If you want to park try and book it as the parking is a good 5-10 minute walk away.Reception staff weren't particularly helpful, there was no late night porter, so I had to get up an let my husband in (he was arriving later). The idea behind the bedroom was good, the bed was comfortable, but the room was very small, and the finishing of the ensuite bathroom (tiling etc) was pretty shoddy. It was OK for one night though. Breakfast was pretty average - cooked breakfast was good but the continental was juice, cereals and toast as far as I could see. The staff were a bit scruffy to be honest, and I got the feeling they weren't fussed if we were there or not. The pub is a nice little pub, and the food is good, but I wouldn't stay more than one night there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happygirl20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I booked in for one night and was incredibly disapppointed at the general lack of care and interest in making this lovely old pub into something 'special'. It needs someone to come in and give it a jolly good makeover. Castle Cary is a very attractive authentic Somerset small town (far too many gift shops, sadly) and The George is centrally located and could be the 'hub' of the town. The bar is full of locals and has a good country atmosphere which shouldn't change but the rest of the place is a disaster. The lounge area is full of enormous dark ugly leather sofas and a few tables where people have coffee or tea and this leads out to a courtyard where there are more bedrooms and parking plus a few tables and chairs for sunny days. The bedrooms have definitely seen better days and the decor is quite frankly either hideous or just incredibly basic. The room I had at least was bright (unlike some of the dark bedrooms} but the curtains were hanging down, the shower was dripping, the panel surrounding the bath was coming away and everything looked tired. I couldn't fault the cleanliness of the room and the water was hot for my bath but there were no pictures on the walls and the whole place reminded me of a boarding house in the 50's !

Breakfast next morning was another disappointment. I asked for porridge with honey and sultanas (on the menu) but after two mouthfuls I couldn't eat anymore as it hadn't been cooked properly and tasted gritty and foul. The honey, greek yoghurt and sultanas were just dumped into the porridge and not on the side so you could help yourself. There was no fruit, just apple or orange juice, and some slices of bread had been cut and left near the toaster so you could make your own. Service in any way seemed non-existent but in fairness to them I think they were extremely short-staffed. I feel sad at having to give such a bad review but I will not be staying at The George again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gertrudeLondon
Shetland traveller
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Arrived mid afternoon for a stay here. Given key to room and left to find it myself. It's down a long corridor on the first floor and there's a mattress parked outside (and toys piled around the corner-the owner must live nearby?). The room itself looks reasonably well furnished until you try to sit at the desk to the use the WiFi... the bed / desk / window configuration means that it's a major upheaval to move things so that you can actually gain sitting space at it...
Tea & Coffee here - good. The room is cold... I eventually work out how to get the heater to work (no instructions in the information pack). I wasn't offered the opportunity to book a table for dinner, so I don't - I go to the curry house up the road. I eventually return for a coffee later.
The staff are friendly here, but don't necessarily THINK. The strapping lad who checked me in, didn't offer to help take my bag up, or show me the room. The layout of the room was challenging, it was cold etc... this leaves you wondering if they really understand the need to be welcoming. Pity - I could have given this a better score otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask whoever checks you in to show you the room and explain how everything works - they probably won...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 60-degreese-North
London
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I am amazed to read bad reviews of this place! I stayed there last year, on the coldest night of the year - it was freezing but our room (off the courtyard) stayed warm and cosy. It was clean and sumptously furnished with a four-poster bed. We had to get a taxi from the station, as it is too far for most people to walk (we walked back) and the hotel were able to give us a local taxi number when we called them. We ate in the hotel that evening and the food was fresh, delicious and local. We were the only diners, which surprised me as the dining room is gorgeous and full of historic features. In fact, the hotel is ancient and we were taken around and shown some of the old engravings, and the door to the spooky old cellar which was in our room (really glad we found that out AFTER we slept there). Breakfast was also very well done and in generous proportions. We were going to explore the area the following day, but instead opted to hang around and read papers by the roaring fire due to the freezing temperatures. We were attended to all the time - and asked if we were warm enough, brought tea etc. We stayed for lunch which was again, delicious! I would go back and recommend this hotel to friends

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Saffron Walden
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

I was presently surprised given some of the reviews. Right from the start - when I booked the room on the phone the staff were friendly and helpful. I wasn't sure if my dog would be with me so to accomadation either option I stayed in room 11. This is in the outside courtyard, so no corridor noise or doors slamming etc. The room had everything I needed for a comfortable stay - iron, hair dryer, tea/ coffee. The information pack was very helpful and the free wi-fi was fast (a bonus as I was travelling for business). The room was tastfully decorated and clean. Check in was fast and again the staff were brilliant. Parking is a bit limited but wasn't a problem as parked on the street just a short walk away. The only suggestion I have is that a few biscuits would have been a bonus (my fault as missed lunch), the bed was a little soft for me and the shower was over the bath (just a personal dislike of mine). Otherwise couldn't fault it. For the price it is well worth it - comfortable and friendly!

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Louise J
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We arrived late afternoon to check in. Rang bell on reception desk several times and no-one responded - just one member of staff to cover reception and bar, who said he would check us in when he had finished serving in the bar. The room we were allocated over the front of the hotel was small with tired decor but was clean . We decided to eat in the bar in the evening. We were given a menu and were told that one dish (haddock) was not available. As we only eat vegetarian and fish there was little choice - I chose the fish cakes and was told these were not available either so opted for the only other non-meat option - fish an chips. We ordered desert my husband had icecream which was fine but I had ordered the brownie which they had attempted to warm in the oven unsuccessfully, and was stale. At no point were we asked if we had enjoyed our stay, which given the competition out there is a mistake. Clearly we will not be staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gurney298

Travellers are raving about these Castle Cary hotels

Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

we arrived at the end of lunch service, asked for a sandwich told none available, can we have afternoon tea then? no , how about a scone then? no, what about a toasted tea cake? the young waiter went to ask, he came back and said its at the managers discreation. not sure what that ment.
Ok then 4 tea cakes 2 coffees and two tea`s please do you have soya milk no, do you have flora as cant eat butter no.
This is 2013 come on you can do better than that, soya milk in a hotel should be available you can buy small cartons in most suppermarkets, most commercial kitchens do use floria or some sort of margerine as their are lots of vegetrians who dont eat butter. we did get our toasted tea cake and drinks but left thinking wont be going back there, you are in the service industery but offer no service were not helpful and one got the feeling could not care less.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank brightoncaroline
Dungi_1, Owner at George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
I am sorry to hear of your complaint. I have spoken to the members of staff that were working that day and as advertised our food times for lunch are between the hours of 12.00-2.45pm. After these hours we offer a selection of cakes, biscuits and tea cakes that were all available. No where do we state that we were offering scones or afternoon tea. In response to the other complaints, our kitchen uses local farmhouse butter for cooking and to accompany food. We do not wish to stock such products such as margarine. We have taken the point about the soya milk on board but as we have not had a general requirement for the product we don't stock it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Cary
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Primrose House
Primrose House
#2 of 11 in Bruton

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!