“first class accomodation”

The Cliff Hotel
northants england
“first class accomodation”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Beautiful hotel, our room had king size bed and balcony . No ground floor rooms or lift so beware. Bar and restaurant lovely with vast sun terrace overlooking sea and smokers able to use outside area unlike most hotels that shove you outside front door. Food and service excellent, presented beautifully with nice touches. Only downside to this hotel is that if you have a room like us overlooking sea and outside bar area it can be noisy up to 11pm , ok if youre young and don't mind but annoying if you want peace and quiet. Opt for a front facing room to avoid this..We had a groupon deal so was great value .

Room Tip: sea facing can be noisy because of the outside bar terrace but the views are lovely
3 Thank diceydeb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago as I got a groupon voucher for b&b and afternoon tea.
Everything was just right, the room was clean,fab and styish, staff friendly, food delicious especially the breakfast which was huge. The covered terrace was fantastic, it was a sunny afternoon so we sat out and watched the people on the beach and the ships sailing into the harbour with a cold beer. Would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay here or just go for a drink or meal. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Soooo
london
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We booked this hotel via a Groupon deal and it was good value £89 for two nights with breakfast plus £20 extra for child. We did try and waiver the child fee as our DD slept in our giant bed but the hotel did not agree (we did not an extra bed).

Location wise it's close to Goreleston Beach which is lovely and peaceful - only a few minutes walk down a lot of steps. It's also about 10 mins drive from Great Yarmouth which we visited. We also visited some of the broads on route back to London.

Our room was on the first floor but didn't have a nice view - car park to the front. It was huge with modern amenities - nice bed (best duvet ever - what duvet did you use cliff hotel?), flat screen tv on wall, nice bathroom and complimentary water.

Breakfast was amazing with a wide selection including cereals, yogurt, fruit and hot cooked breakfast. We found it was very busy and had to wait for a table.

I didn't use the bar but it seems to be very popular with the locals at the weekend as we could see everyone coming in as we retired for the evening!

Overall, I'd say a good hotel. Having some children's activities or play area would enhance the hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank chotipagli
Cambridge
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed on 4th July - the terrace is wonderful (maybe the weather helped) but we couldn't fault the hotel or the view, some people may have difficulty getting down to the beach if they're not very mobile but we thoroughly enjoyed it and the room was very good. We used a Groupon voucher and for what we paid it was excellent, it also included afternoon tea and looking out to sea on the terrace - it doesn't get any better

3 Thank ValerieHow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

well I said I would be back and I am .... had a great experience last time and this visit was just as good (the glorious weather helped!)
I finally got to see the terrace in full swing with a sunday night stay, I brought the wife along this time as I had enjoyed my business stay so much. We enjoyed a lovely meal on the terrace which was busy with locals and holiday guests , nice bottle of wine and then ...entertainment !! a very good singer , the entertainment was low key but really made the whole experience fantastic! we could have been abroad! this really is a hidden gem great rooms excellent food and the terrace is really quite unique! I was chatting with the manager Darren (he remembered me from my last visit which was nice!)and he informed they are building an outside kitchen (this is very nearly finished) which will offer fresh homemade pizzas , charcoal pit for steaks/burgers and a lobster tank! This will be a great addition to an already excellent hotel...and with the lobster tank I might just have to make another visit!

Room Tip: get a table on the terrace early it fills up quick ,although if you ask they bring furniture from in...
1 Thank barry j
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I took my Mum and Dad away to the Cliff Hotel for Dad's 80th birthday treat. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, and the beds were superb!
I am disabled, and although there are no disabled facilities at the hotel at present, every member of staff we met was delightful, and offered help when needed - from the lovely receptionists to the domestic staff
The staff in general were extremely friendly, and I must mention the restaurant staff in particular, who were so pleasant. (The food was excellent, by the way!) We were a little concerned as there was an extremely noisy wedding party on the Saturday of our weekend stay, but the double-glazing was very efficient, (and the wedding guests were enjoying themselves, after all!)
My dear Dad had a wonderful time - as did we all. Altogether our first visit was wonderful, and we will definitely return

Room Tip: All rooms are on the first floor - two lights of stairs, but nice and broad staircase and a good ban...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Leglesslil
Purley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Me and my family decided to come here for our Friday lunch. However we were appalled. The lunch menu being very limited and not much variations. Finding somewhere to sit was difficult which is fine but when there's lots of tables which aren't even clean, just looking dirty and mank. Disappointed. At the time our visit there were work going on, over the roof of the cliff. Unusual that they decide to work on things with a Resturant filled with guests, all we could hear was drilling other implements being used. As they were gluing things the smell came off and was absolutely awful!? Nothing nice with your dinner must I add. After not having much variation from the menu. I had to chose fish and chips as that's all I liked from there. But it wasn't exactly the best tasting. It was bland and eww. The chips were to thick like planks of wood and the fish wasn't nice either. Highly overpriced too. However the customer service was good. The friendly staff were more than helpful if a customer needed be. Lastly my family were put off by the fact that fellow customers were smoking around us, all for the public smoking ban. I really don't agree with this and really added to my disappointed stay. I was excited to check the Resturant out as I'd never been before. I wish I went somewhere else now.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LewisKing59
CliffHotelManager, General Manager at The Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear lewisKing59

thank you for review , we value all feedback good or bad as this helps us to address problems and improve service.
Also thank you for taking time to mention the positives of your visit !

I am surprised that you found the menu limited! there are over 80 dishes on our main menu and along side this we run a specials menu daily.
I am sorry that you found the chips not to your taste , our hand cut " jenga" chips are very, very ,popular with our customers and are probably the best quality chip offer available. Likewise the fish is all freshly cooked and locally sourced (no frozen fillets at the Cliff!) and is most probably our best selling dish , again enjoyed regularly by many of our customers.

We have dedicated Terrace staff during each service , you mention it was very busy when you dined which keeps these team members very busy , but each table is cleaned down as customers vacate it , it is only when one group leaves and another sits down straight away that this can cause an issue, but a quick word with the staff and this will be rectified immediately!

I do apologise that the smoking caused a problem for you, obviously the terrace is outside , but I am now exploring the possibility of a no smoking area outside as well which should help to keep all our customers happy!

Finally the staff are always happy to deal with any issue that a customer may have so please speak to us if you have a problem , that's what we are there for ! we will do our best to make sure that you leave contented and having enjoyed a terrific "Cliff Experience"
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorleston-on-Sea
The Pier Hotel
#2 of 4 in Gorleston-on-Sea
Burlington Palm Hotel
Burlington Palm Hotel
#13 of 21 in Great Yarmouth

Been to The Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!