“Great trip, great hotel”
Review of The Cliff Hotel

The Cliff Hotel
“Great trip, great hotel”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Me and my wife had a weekend away and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The food was wonderfully cooked and the service was just as special. Great trip away for anyone as there is plenty to do. The rooms were also very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable, which was a big help for me as I have a bad back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Scotty180

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Used to love going here for lunch but feel the staff and chefs have got a bit complacent, as each time I have been it's got a bit poorer and gone downhill. Makes me wonder if they take regulars for granted????
Won't go back now as the last lunch was rubbish! Plus it is expensive so you'd expect a bit more food and service wise.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne J
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel has had some modifications recently, some good some out of place.Progress I suppose.
The hotel Is clean and tidy but there are a couple of complaints that you should be aware of.
1 if they have a function on you will be second class. You'll be lucky to park and service will be slow.
2 If you stay in room 106 and I believe one other and its hot you will fry,this is because although there is a full size door to the balcony they won't open it- they blame H&S for this but I think it just lack of thought. They say its because the rail outside is too low. What nonsense been there since the place was built i would guess and I bet no one has fallen over it unless they were worse for wear! Why couldn't they fit a stay to stop the door being fully opened?
I wonder why people think we accept this H&S rubbish.
Only had a snack there but there is a restrant just down the called Gambas go there its 5 star

Room Tip: don't accept 106 if its hot
1 Thank PrinceLard
Warwickshire
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Booked through late rooms as it was a bank holiday we were limited to choice but this hotel had good reviews and it was only 8miles from where we were visiting family.
Check in , very pleasant receptionist hotel car park was full which was a good sign & the smells coming from the restaurant were welcoming.
We had booked a double room which had recently been re- furbished, very nice decor, flat screen T.V along with tea ,coffee making facilities & two bottles of mineral water it's just a shame it was sparkling a choice would have been preferred.
The down side to the room was that it was at the back of the hotel overlooking what looked like the kitchen, it's a shame because the views from the front of the hotel were stunning but as we had booked at the last minute we had to go with what was available.
We were only staying one night which was just as well because I was woken at 2am thinking there was someone else in the room the noise was that loud, it was infact the people above, four of them to be precise, I think they thought they were the only ones in the hotel, doors were banging I even heard them filling the kettle & the water boiling !
This wasn't any fault of the hotel but I think there should be a sign up asking politely to limit noise after midnight.
Breakfast was lovely, great selection, smoked salmon was gorgeous.
The areas of the hotel that have been re-furbished have been done to a very high standard I hope they continue with the dining area which looked a bit tired.
Overall a lovely hotel overlooking a beautiful clean beach. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank minnieWarwickshire
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had two nights here and found it to be a very pleasant traditional seaside hotel.Unfortunately our satnav brought us through the town, so our first impression of its location was not inspiring. We were also slightly disappointed that the 'sea view' from our room (103) was only over rooftops, looking across to the harbour, rather than the fabulous beach which we did not discover until the next day. Also, we arrived on a busy Bank Holiday Monday evening when the pleasant terrace restaurant was full with families and young people, and we were surprised to see bouncers in the bar. However, it was good to see a garden play area for the children, and thankfully there was no loud music! The quieter area at the end of the terrace is a good idea, and we had an excellent meal at the hands of our friendly and efficient young waiter. All the staff (reception, dining room, house staff) were very friendly and helpful, and our room and bathroom were stylishly modern, and very clean and comfortable. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and this hotel is obviously working hard to please its clients - and succeeding.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was worried that our room would be noisy because this hotel has a lot of functions, but it was fine and we weren't disturbed despite the hotel being very full with a lot going on.
The quality of the evening meal was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
CliffHotelManager, General Manager at The Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear 503liz

thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I was wondering why you marked the rooms so low? we have refurbished all of our rooms quite recently , and are constantly snagging to ensure we are on providing the best possible offer. If you could drop an email to the hotel or myself at daryn@thecliffhotel.co.uk I would appreciate it , just for the chance to ensure that your next stay is " five star" !
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Welcoming and well-prepared staff. Room (Double Deluxe) was perfect for my short stay, with Wi-Fi working perfectly. I checked-in during the evening so missed a full view of the surroundings, but in the morning at breakfast I was able to see the wonderful setting of the hotel. The decking area was a great spot for breakfast and afforded a nice view of the bay.
Overall, this is a good business hotel which could only improve if they tidied up the front-face and secured some better parking. If these two things were fixed - this would jump up a notch in ratings terms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Johnathon B

Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad you are pleased with the service of the hotel and I am glad to say that the frontage of the hotel is earmarked for a facelift in Oct (it is a bit quieter then! but not much!!) which we are quite excited about as this will bring the outside of the hotel up to the great standard inside!

we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorleston-on-Sea
Andover House Hotel
#2 of 4 in Gorleston-on-Sea
Burlington Palm Hotel
Burlington Palm Hotel
#13 of 21 in Great Yarmouth

Been to The Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!