“Very underrated, fabulous meal and view and service!! No complaints what so ever”
Review of The Cliff Hotel

The Cliff Hotel
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We went to the cliff hotel today for a birthday meal and can not fault it at all! The food was very good freshly cooked haddock and Chips, very tastey in deed, the service was brilliant also and the view just topped it off! Thanks to all involved

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Arron P
CliffHotelManager, General Manager at The Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Arron P

Thank you for the great review - and the photo you took of the food was excellent!
This is hands down our food best seller and you now know why! Thank you as well for the comments on the service - all the team work very hard to keep the guests happy and its nice when this is noticed so thank you for that
I am glad you had such a great experience with us and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had lunch at the cliff hotel. The menu clearly stated the coleslaw was homemade and it was clearly a cheap bought in one. I was very let down by the fact nobody came to check our meals were ok and on leaving I pointed out to staff my issues and was ignored.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear whenie

Thank you for your review , we value all feed back good or bad as this helps us to improve our service ,

to deal with the points you raise - the coleslaw IS homemade- it may not have been to your taste but it is prepared by our chefs, we pride ourselves on our food offering at the Cliff- this very site and indeed the reviews either side of yours do nothing but praise the food offering.
If you dine in our restaurant or outside restaurant you will receive full table service - the bar and other dining areas are less formal and more relaxed that said there are always team members in the customers vicinity , if you catch their attention DURING your meal we have a chance to rectify any problems , a bit more difficult as you are leaving.....
I am sorry that the staff did not answer your concerns but it is quite a difficult situation for them , they are there to keep the guests happy and on this occasion I am sure that would not have been possible - if you are convinced an item is shop bought then I doubt we would be able to change your mind.
It is a shame that you felt a portion of coleslaw warranted such a poor score and review on trip advisor but we do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for a visit to family and although 30mins away from them it was well worth the extra drive. We have stayed in a few hotels in Norfolk and none have compared to The Cliff. Our room was lovely and one major plus for me was conditioner in the room haha, we never get that in any hotel we stay in and is definitely a plus for me! My only criticism was that the shower head was not made for the amount of pressure that was available from the shower. If you turned the shower on to full pressure, which most people do, the show head shoots up and sprays the water all over the wall and ceiling and the towels folded at the end of the bath.
We had a sea view room which was lovely but it does mean that you are overlooking the terrace which is busy and can be a little noisy at night but it did quieten down at about midnight.
We booked high tea for when we arrived which I have to say was one of the nicest we have had and we afternoon tea a lot. The selection of sandwiches was good with the fillings being different to the ones you usually get. The selection of food available for breakfast was great and so too was the carvery.
We will be back for sure!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fish4amy
CliffHotelManager, General Manager at The Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Fish4amy,

thank you for the lovely review !

apologies for the shower head , these whilst being attractive , do work loose after a while and although we do regular checks it seems we missed yours on that occasion!

I am glad you enjoyed your High Tea , these are very popular at the Cliff and we are proud of offering so it is nice to get such positive feedback! It is great that you rate us so highly in Norfolk , there are some lovely hotels in our area and to be rated like this from you is high praise indeed.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Particularly in the sunshine, the restaurant is a perfect place for a meal, or just a few drinks over looking the beach. Perfect for couples and families with a safe area for children to have a little play. The staff are friendly and service is fairly quick. Highly recommend if you're in the area!!!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jamie-LeighRoehrig

Dear Jamie-LeighRoehrig ,

Thank you for the fantastic review!

I am glad the team looked after you well , they work very hard and still manage to be friendly and pleasant ,so it is really nice when this is recognised so thank you for this.

The views are stunning from the terrace and you are righ,t it is a lovely place for parents to relax whilst the children have some where safe to play.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have been visiting the Cliff hotel for a while with family, friends and my partner and it's vastly improved over the past couple of years! The place looks amazing now, especially the new bar and the terrace which was lovely to sit out on to enjoy a drink and some lunch! My most recent visit to the hotel (though I live in the area) was for mine and my partners anniversary and he booked us in for a sea view room for two nights for a weekend break :) it was a lovely room looking over the terrace and beach. All the staff were lovely and helpful each evening we dined and the young girl on reception made us feel welcome when we checked in.
I didn't dine in the Mitchell's restaurant but will be returning to try the restaurant menu!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, bit more expensive but worth the upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lolacheese1

Dear Lolacheese1,

Happy Anniversary!

I am so glad you chose to celebrate this important occasion with us .. im even more pleased that you had such a great time! The team work very hard to make sure that guests have a great experience with us and this is reflected in your review so thank you very much.

I hope you continue to enjoy the Cliff and as a local I am glad you had the chance to get the full Cliff experience with a stay as well

we look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Outside dining on the terrace was just lovely. Good food, fairly priced. Efficient sevice, almost all good...reception staff didnt have a room tarrif or brochere available which was abit dissapointing. Would have been nice to have possibly been shown one of the rooms. That said we will return soon for more food.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan S

Dear Dan S

thank you for the glowing review , apologies for the room tarrif brochure not being available , we have a very busy reception and the team work hard to stay on top of their workload and this was an oversight , but rest assured it wont happen again!

I am glad everything else was top notch and look forward to seeing you again soon and we will be happy to show you the rooms!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have stayed at this hotel previously some years ago, and sadly the standard seems to have dipped a bit since then. There is a big bar/casual restaurant which is well used, but I ate in the formal dining room. Excellent food, and attentive staff. Was given the key to someone else's room when I checked in which could have been embarrassing, and then was given a room at the back/side of the hotel directly over the kitchen extractor fan. Not good on a warm summers evening. Fortunately I had ear plugs with me so still managed to get some sleep. Other than that comfortable room, but the corridor and stairs to the room was a big grubby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to get a view over the harbour entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear SDbus

Thank you for your review and also taking the time to list the positives of your stay as well.

Firstly apologies for the issue with the keys , the reception is a very busy part of the hotel and on the whole mistake free, but unfortunately wherever Humans are involved there is the possibility for mistakes, I am so sorry about this happening to you though.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and service , both the chefs and serving team work very hard to provide , what we believe , to be one of the best offerings in the local area so it is nice when this is recognised, thank you.

With regards to the room , unfortunately all hotels have rooms that are not in premium position , as we speak we are currently revamping the area outside of the "internal rooms" this revamp includes a roof top garden which will dampen the sounds from any extraction ( food service ordinarily finishes at 9.30 pm ) .

When you visit again , I can highly recommend the sea view rooms this will with out doubt ensure your next Cliff review is "5 star"

we look forward to seeing you again very soon1

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorleston-on-Sea
Andover House Hotel
#13 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
#16 of 21 in Great Yarmouth

Been to The Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!