“Meal in restaurant - bad attitude!!”
Review of The Pier Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Pier Hotel
Rushden
“Meal in restaurant - bad attitude!!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We travelled to Gorleston with my husband's grandparents as his grandfather had lived there for a couple of years and wanted a trip down memory lane. He suggested going to the Pier where he had spent a lot of time in his youth.
When we arrived, the bar was extremely busy and the only table was near a door so felt cold. My husband went to have a look at the restaurant and found it to be virtually empty. He asked a member of the serving staff if he could have a table for 4 and was told they were fully booked. His grandfather went to ask a few moments later and they magic'd up a table for us. As we were walking through to restaurant a member of the waiting staff asked in quite an off manner if we were looking for restaurant or bar. I don't know what their problem was. It's not as if we all looked like a bunch of tramps. Perhaps the serving staff just wanted an easy night and having to wait on an additional 4 people was going to cause them too much work. We asked two members of staff what the soup of the day was, and neither of them knew and had to go off and find out. As we didn't want wine with our meal, we were asked if we would like a jug of water to which we replied yes, but this didn't actually materialise. The food was ok though, but would not return due to the rude staff, really lets this place down.

2 Thank JulieDI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just spent one night at The Pier Hotel - had a sea view room. It was a very good choice as we were able to see the sea shipping and the lovely Gorleston beach.

The bar and eating areas were excellent and the food Very good.

Hope to go back there as soon as we can.
Sorry no pool .

Room Tip: Have a sea view room and book direct to the Hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret W
Groombridge Kent
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I booked a suite for myself and sister for one night. When I telephoned i explained that my sister was on Australian time and we needed a suite, to ensure that I could go to bed and she could follow or get up when she couldn't sleep due to jet lag.

I was worried about the previous review regarding over booking, so contacted the hotel to double check our booking. The young lady on the desk (Kelly I think) was brilliant. She reassured me.

On arrival she took us to our room, and explained they had given an additional room next door and opened up the interconnecting door. We had a double bed each, fantastic individual bedrooms, sitting area, with a deck. Totally above the call of duty.

Sadly, we were attending a funeral the next day, and didn't have time to make the most of our lovely facilities.

The restaurant staff, and food is very good. On line you can't see the specials menu which price wise is between the main menu and bar menu. About £10 for a very large main course.

Amazing customer service and attention to detail. A very big thank you. You deserve to be no 1 on trip advisor.

Room Tip: Pay for suite it's worth the extra, or a sea view lovely, modern and large
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Happy283
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I booked at this hotel and arrived to be told they had overbooked. I was offered a room in their Sister hotel but I turned out to be in on top of a pub that closed at 2am. I also wanted a private car park and the sister hotel had parking across the road away from the hotel, I was not happy as we have an expensive motorcycle and I chose the original hotel because of the CCTV parking. I have no idea what the hotel is like but giving someone else your room after a 4 hour drive will make me not try to book again. I finally got into another hotel at 6pm.

4 Thank ChrisRobbins186356
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

we traveled to the area for a family gathering. the hotel was excellent, reception staff helpful and friendly, the room was great and one thing i hate is a rubbish shower, well not here i was over the moon, well decorated room, modern and very clean. the breakfast was well cooked and very filling, on departure we needed directions and the lady at reception could of only done more to help if she had taken us there herself. we had a great stay thanks.

Room Tip: our room was on the front looking over the harbour, would have prefered one over looking the sea, to...
1 Thank craig b
Staffs
Reviewed 23 September 2013

If you are looking for a refreshing break for a few days or a week on the East coast the Pier Hotel has to be the place for you, we stayed at the Pier Hotel last week, I have to travel a lot with my work and have to say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at for some time. The staffs are fantastic and friendly; they made us feel at home from day one, even down to the cleaning staff that again could not do enough to help make our stay very special. On arrival at the hotel we soon discovered the room we had booked for our parents was just one floor to many, with the stairs for them both, the staff helped us to move them to a more suitable floor with still great views from there room . The views from our room also had stunning views over the bay. The food was well priced and very enjoyable, and again the staff on both the bar and serving the tables could not do enough to help. Breakfast was both very filling and hot and served with a smile. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and are already looking forward to going back again soon.

Room Tip: This hotel has no lift, so ask for the first floor if this is an issue for you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank UKBazzer
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recently stayed for a night in the Sunrise Suite at the Pier Hotel with my wife for our first anniversary. Upon arriving at the hotel we managed to get a parking space right outside the entrance, as we entered, the receptionist was very welcoming and friendly and informed us of mealtimes, etc. and asking if we would like to book a table in the restaurant for dinner, however we chose to decide later.

This was our first trip to the Pier Hotel so we were a little unsure as to what to expect of the room but all we can say is that it was stunning, as we reached the top of the first flight of stairs we were faced with the large double doors which was the entrance to our suite.

Upon entering we can only say that we were very impressed with both the suite itself and the level of cleanliness that staff had obviously taken great care to achieve, even down to the little touches like a bottle of water by each side of the bed and a generously filled tray of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, although there was not enough milk provided for the amount of drinks this was readily available at reception.

There was a large television in the lounge area of the suite and a slightly smaller one (but still a fair size) in the bedroom, although only there for the night so we didn't watch it very much but thought we would add it in! In the lounge area there are 2 comfy chairs and a further 2 chairs and a small table by the television, also, in the bedroom area there were 2 chairs and a table in the window. The shower room was also nicely presented with a large walk in shower and plentiful towels, and handy little dispensers for soap, shampoo, shower gel and conditioner, which was very handy.

Also, and this was really our favourite part, was the balcony up several steps leading off the lounge area, here was a small decking area but plenty of room for a small table and 2 chairs up one end and 2 chairs up the other, and the view, although slightly obscured by the roof of the extension was still amazing and we spent quite a lot of time out there admiring the view across the bay of the beach and cliffs, and on the Sunday morning the sailing club setting up was also quite interesting.

We went down to the bar area for a drink and the service was generally pretty fast and the bar staff friendly, this area was also nicely decorated with everything clearly signposted, it was also very clean with the bar staff regularly wiping the bar area (within seconds of picking your drink up), the drinks prices were reasonable and about what I would have expected to pay, not cheap, but not too expensive either.

We decided to eat in the bar area so my Wife had the pate to start followed by a daily special of cajun grilled monkfish then profiteroles with ice cream, all of which she said was very good, I had the soup of the day (root vegetable), followed by a 10 oz rib eye steak (which was cooked to perfection), then the chocolate and cherry gateaux which was also very tasty, so yes, the food was good, and again reasonably priced considering we had 3 courses.

The bed was comfortable providing an adequate nights sleep (but then I don't generally sleep well anyway), although my wife slept well and I couldn't wake her up to see the sunrise that SHE insisted we saw, so instead I took some pictures for her and showed her later...lol

The breakfast was also very good, with a choice of fruit juice, cereal, etc. to start, although we did not have these and instead went straight for a pot of tea and a full English which I thoroughly enjoyed and again, the service was very friendly.

Shortly after this we went back to our room for the last time, and was gutted that we had to leave, and upon checking out, the receptionist asked if all was ok and if we enjoyed our stay, which of course we did (I'm sure that you already knew the answer frrom the above review ;)).

All in all we had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, as at least in our opinion it had the full package!

Room Tip: Choose the sunrise Suite you won't regret it, failing that a room overlooking the beach is highl...
3 Thank Gary S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorleston-on-Sea
The Cliff Hotel
#5 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth
Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth
#14 of 21 in Great Yarmouth

Been to The Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!