“Food and venue review - Outstanding in my opinion”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mt Eliza
Morning Star Estate
Ranked #2 of 4 Mt Eliza B&B and Inns
MELBOURNE
“Food and venue review - Outstanding in my opinion”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I felt compelled to write my own review after stumbling across reviews of the Estate on Google and was amazed to see some negative ones.

I live near Morning Star and have been twice for lunch; once for mother's day with my wife and daughter and, once with two friends and their daughter.

Both times I have found the food and the service to be absolutely outstanding. The first time we went, the food was so good I Facebooked the attached photo of my main meal.

The second time was just as good with excellent service from everyone there. The Maitre D was particularly fantastic and great with our kids - as all the staff were. No one minded my daughter checking the restaurant out and all were careful when around her.

I love the venue itself - overlooking the sea and the vineyard. I can't think of a venue with a better view or grounds in Victoria.

But the food is to die for.

My mum comes next week and we'll be taking her then too!

Just to be clear - my review is of the restaurant. I can't comment on the hotel but based on my experience of the restaurant, I would stay at the hotel at the drop-of-a-hat. I love the venue and the restaurant and would expect the hotel to be of the same quality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank declanpr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My partner had taken me here for dinner last saturday night, and it was an amazing night! The food was delicious and well presented, service was impecable - warm, welcoming and accomodating, and the ambience was ideal for a cosy and comfortable dinning restaurant. 10/10 Morning Star Estate! Good Work we will be back very soon!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trent M
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Don't get me wrong, the venue itself is gorgeous. The grounds are spectacular! BUT - I had my wedding here in February and the service was absolutely SHOCKING! The accomodation is run by one company, the restaurant is owned by another separate company, and there are too many "managers" and "owners". Complete, complete lack of communication!

The lady (Pam) who works at the front desk cannot assist or help you with anything, since EVERYTHING is outsourced. Throughout the entire wedding planning process, every person we dealt with did not want responsibility and kept passing us over to the next person! I did not realize that all aspects of the company were run by totally different parties & there was no accountability or communication!!! It was extremely, extremely frustrating! We waited on average about 2 weeks for a reply to an email, and around 1 week for them to return a phone call.

It seemed like the only time they were so quick to reply is when our bill was due for payment. Sad, but very very true.

They provide you with a floor plan for your wedding set up, which I made up and sent back months before the wedding - which they confirmed all was OK - then, the DAY BEFORE the wedding, she informed me that it all had to be changed due to "council regulations". Obviously she did not take the time to look at what I had been sending or she would have realized this sooner!!! Even more frustrating: I had based ALL my wedding decorations around the floor plan I'd created.

They also told me MONTHS BEFORE the wedding, (and after getting the 'ok' from one of the "managers") that since our function had booked all the hotel rooms, we could have access to the Chardonnay room the next morning for breakfast for all our guests. They then told me 4 days before the wedding that if I still wanted to go ahead with this, I would have to pay $700 since it would be treated as a separate event. I had already printed this info on my invitations!!!!

Another thing I need to mention: our wedding was at 3:30pm and they kept the restaurant open for lunch service, but didn't tell us!! So I had organized my DJ to come in at 2pm so that he could set his stuff up. The lady actually sent him away, and told him to come back later. The lunch service was over at 3pm & they rushed to just throw everything together (all my decorations, flowers, etc). It was NOT the setup I had in my mind & I honestly didn't even feel like it was my wedding. The floor plan had changed, the DJ was pissed off at the venue people, the rooms were crap. It was horrible!!

The rooms are very small and definitely NOT worth the money you pay to stay there. There is no air conditioning and around half the rooms didn't even have a working fan (you can imagine how hot it would get in the summer).

I hope that whoever reads this and is considering a wedding at the Morning Star Estate, will think again before booking it there....If I had the chance to do it again, i would absolutely, 100% NOT have it there.

Lisa

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
30 Thank Lisa L

Travellers are raving about these Mt Eliza hotels

Hughesdale
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had booked online and well aware of the estate's history so new the rooms were small. The staff were helpful and very accommodating.
Our dinner in the restaurant was spectacular and lived up to their fabulous reputation!
We loved it!

Room Tip: The Queen rooms have a queen size bed in them the standards only have a double.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brodindi
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We wanted a relatively comfortable room with an ensuite that had something more to offer than just proximity to a wedding venue and we were delighted with the place and the room. Yes, we had a Queen that was the result of 2 singles joined together in the middle - both my husband and I weren't at all uncomfortable and slept easily all night. Yes the room was small (45 years as a Catholic Boys Dormitory) but the ensuite was clean, towels were absorbent and it had most of the things one would expect from a hotel room, including a hair dryer in the clothes cupboard and a great little heater that warmed up the room very quickly. Who cares about TV when there is so much to explore around the Peninsula? For instance: there's a lovely little beach with well-tended barbecue facilities only 3 minutes' drive from the Estate called Sunnyside which only the locals really seem to know much about; there are amazing foodie places (the restaurant here is pretty good - had divine homemade mascapone icecream! - but the coffee was average and I do resent paying $4.50 for average coffee) and wineries to discover; walks to be had etc. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. The only little things that I noticed that would make a difference to the experience overall and rating include eliminating scuff marks on the wall where clearly people were putting their suitcases, putting up a full-length mirror and provision of a camp stool of some sort to set a suitcase on. We heard very little noise from the wedding that was on the night we stayed and we had a beautifully refreshing walk in the sunshine through historic gardens in the morning. If we hadn't already booked a table at the Age Good Food Guide 2012 hat-rated The Long Table in Red Hill for lunch, we probably would have investigated what sounded like a very yummy cooked breakfast! Far better than some generic, impersonal and tacky-looking 3-star motel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maligayang_Nietzsche
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. the rooms were very clean but so small there was barely any room to turn around! Getting dressed was very difficult and sleeping was almost impossible as the bed was not only very small but extremely hard and uncomfortable.

On checking in we found that the staff had not received our request for a portacot, despite calling to arrange it. They tried to fit it in our room but it was soon clear that with my mobility problems it was going to be inhabitable. Luckily another group in our party had the disabled room (which had been requested for me anyway as the disabled one) so we switched. There was just enough room in there for the portacot. The toilet was broken and was a huge hazard. When reported they said they knew about it and would get on it, but it was still several hours before it was attended to.

The staff were courteous, but not particularly on the ball or showing initiative. The breakfast was really yummy and the living room with tea, coffee and nice could wate was really nice for relaxing with our group.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Kukaku
melbourne
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I went here on a Sunday at 4pm to discuss options for a wedding ceremony and reception, was met by the male host explained that we had an appointment to discuss wedding options, asked if we would be able to get a drink or a light snack was told that would be fine. Decided to check out the beautiful gardens and grounds for a few minutes. The person we were suppose to meet with, was serving other clients, regarding their wedding plans. Didn't mind waiting so approached the bar and asked the barman if we were able to get a light snack and drink. He flat said "no the kitchen is closed" Explained to the barman that the person who met us (the manager) told us that we could still have afternoon tea and drink. Again a shake of the head and then said "no" We then asked would it be OK if we just got a drink, again he replied with a "no the bar is closed" mind you, he was still pouring drinks and passing on to wait staff to take to other patrons, while telling us the bar was closed. We decided to take a seat, one of the staff that take care of functions came up to us and told us that it wont be long and that the person who we were waiting for we be available shortly. I explained to her how we had been treated and that the barman was rude and that the manager had told us that we were able to get afternoon tea, but the barman had refused that as well as a simple drink, that it wasn't a good first impression, that if we were to be going ahead with the wedding at their venue and spending thousands of dollars that so far I was not really confident with the customer service and lack of hospitality. I told her that I wanted to complain to the manager, she was accommodating and apologized for the service and she then offered us a glass of wine. She went and told the manager and he didn't even attempt to come and speak with me. The person we were waiting for then came and gave us a tour of the venue, she was quite pleasant and we were happy with the venue. When walking back to the bar/restaurant after the tour, the same barman that was rude was carrying a table for two with the top of the table up against him with the heavy legs of the table facing outwards as i walked passed him, he hit me in the head with leg of the table right into my temple, he didn't stop, he didn't apologize and he didn't ask me if I was OK. The female that had given us the tour saw what had happened. We left about 15 minutes later, on driving home I couldn't keep my eyes open and i felt extremely drowsy, it wasn't until the next day that i went to the doctors that he told me I had concussion, I called the restaurant the next day to let them know......there was no response. I was absolutely disgusted at the service and would definitely not recommend having any functions at this venue or a meal at the restaurant for that matter....the service is atrocious. While we were waiting after we arrived, we also noticed another couple walk in to the venue who were completely ignored and left only after a few minutes later. After reading other reviews on the internet regarding Morning Star Estate, I wasn't surprised, also seems as if the management doesn't respond to any complaints....MISS THIS ONE....THE SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Mornington Bed and Breakfast
Mornington Motel
Mornington Motel
#2 of 2 in Mornington

Been to Morning Star Estate? Share your experiences!