All reviewswild dogsdressing areaindoor and outdoor showersthe rivergame drivessitting areadressing roomporridgeoff roadsafari experienceother guestscheetah brothersbat eared foxeswonderful wildlifeprivate concessiongreat game viewinglarge herd
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We spent 3 nights here, and it was the last camp on our two-week trip. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Pat, OB, Karen, Kay (x2) and Ona (chef) were all incredible. They are always around and go out of their way to make sure the guests are well taken care of.

Our guide, Mr. T, and tracker, JD, were awesome. We saw EVERYTHING! This included a black mamba and herd of sables. On our last morning, we went on a game drive with Mayezi and PK. Right before we got on the plane, they spotted a leopard in a tree. We were able to watch her climb down and start hunting. It was an incredible ending to our trip!

Animals abound here. On our first night, we were waiting for Mr. T. to come get us for dinner. A hippo came out of the water, walked by our tent, and munched on some leaves of a nearby bush. So cool!

Pat and the team arranged for a private dinner on our last night in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. They completely surprised us. We were speechless! If that wasn't enough...they also made sure we had a boxed lunch to take with us as we started our journey home the next day.

Lagoon Camp is a MUST if you visit Botswana!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2017

The accommodations were luxurious and beautiful. The setting was gorgeous. Our guide, Spencer, was the best, and we saw everything we could hope to see from chasing wild dogs to watching elephants cross the river to following a group of 11 lions as they searched for prey. Spencer brought us up close and personal, more so than we thought possible. The experience was absolutely fabulous. The staff treated us to a special dinner with singing and dancing which we will always remember.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 9 August 2017

In April 14-18th this year I went with Kwando tours to two lodges- Lagoon and Kwara. Lagoon is on the Kwando River to the northwest of Okavango- close to the Namibian border. Kwara is on the northeastern edge of the Okavango. I spent five days between the two- on their suggestion. It was early in the season and the places were quiet- perhaps more so with an extended wet season across the region. On my return, after giving (well deserved) good feed back on their forms, they asked if I would review the lodges in trip-advisor.

Anyone reading this will already know the delta’s well-deserved reputation as an eye-watering wildlife destination- with scenery to match- this place is not far away in similar terrain. The accommodation and food could be a side issue and I admit I do sometimes wonder why sometimes at such value adding of comfort and consideration in a place like this. I’m not looking high-end tourism in such places, but the lodges are so tasteful, the food healthy, surprisingly fresh for such a location, and excellent, that I’m compelled to include it.

Critical for me on such a tour is that the welfare of the animal and the ability of the guides to get close to the animal without compromising the overall experience. Also critical is that the operation not impact the habitat they live in, or the amenity it gives to the experience. They were good with both these. With rain still widespread at this time in the year the number of sightings was down from other reports in number and in herd size. I knew this beforehand but it is well countered by seeing the vegetation in full show. Highlights were following a leopard hunting for some time, lions munching on a kudu meters away, the variety of antelope, and the variety of birds over the river.

I did wonder at spending time away from the Okavango proper, but it was good to see the wider range of country. It also meant three flights over the area at low altitude with the country in high water.

I stayed in Maun the nights before and after the excursion. I told them this so they could try at least to maximize my time out there and they did- making it overall good value for the cost I reckon. I don’t know Botswana well enough to make comparisons, but have only praise for their operation and all staff. I was also happy with the agents at Sense of Africa who shopped around for me.

Room Tip: All essentially the same
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I really enjoyed our 2 nights at Kwando Lagoon. The camp was recommended to us by our travel adviser, Africa Travel Resource, as we wanted to see wild dogs and cheetahs - having missed out on our last trip to Botswana in 2013.

In the event, we had a fantastic sighting of the cheetahs which other reviewers have mentioned but the wild dogs eluded us. (we saw them at Mombo). But the general game viewing was excellent - a great sighting of 200+ buffalo at a water hole and bat eared foxes under spotlight.

The camp itself is extremely comfortable - the accommodation is very good and spacious and the food is fine. The location of the camp is gorgeous overlooking a lagoon and the drives were through great scenery.

The guide, Josiah, and the tracker, Justice, were both excellent. They tracked the cheetahs superbly and this added to our enjoyment.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Wow Wow wow!!!!

Our first safari when we arrived ended up just being the 2 of us. We went to the wild dog den to see the dogs and pups! The poses for photos ( in the loosest sense ) and then like clockwork fanned out to go hunting at 5pm on the dot. Driving with the pack we felt like one one them. They didn't seem to notice us and we continued the hunt until they say a pumba. They shot off at speed on their kill and our driver followed. I'm not sure what was the better experience....... witnessesing nature and the wild dogs killing the pumba or the drive to keep up with them through the undergrowth at 40mph!!!!! The guides would literally track lions and find them over a 2 hr period! Amazing. Evening meals were either in camp of specially set up in the bush with bonfires! My favourite camp to date!!!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple